NAP Spitfire Maxx Crossbow Heads

grampy

NAP Spitfire Maxx 100gr 3 blade mechanical.

I bought these awhile back. Had some time to dial in the crossbow today and decided to try them out. Well.... I'm disappointed. They fly accurate enough, actually very accurate. But the problem is, they are not opening! I shot one into a multi layered stack of cardboard, that I use for a broadhead target. First thing I noticed was that the three blades were not deployed, when I saw the head sticking out the back of the target! Shot it four more times, same thing not opening! Seems to take a good amount of pressure to even get them to open with my fingers. All the heads in the package feel the same way. Looks like I wasted $40+ as I can't trust them to open on contact with a deer!

I may try them on a softer foam target, to see if it makes a difference. But if hitting hard cardboard doesn't get them to open, I don't thing anything will?

Reviews were and are very good for the most part. Anyone else use these or have experience with them?

I saw that too in some of the google posts I looked at. After the second shot I taped a piece of paper on there to be sure, and saw no cut marks from any of the three blades. Just slight indentation from the "tabs".

Thanks for commenting thought Rob.

Grampy, I had a similar situation with the rage (actually the cheap Chinese version)hypodermic broadhead with the red collars for xbows.  We were curious and shot them at our foam deer target and the didnt open initially. So we put some fabric over it and they wouldn't consistently open.

We were just about to give up on them. It just so happened that I had a fresh deer hide from a recent kill. We draped that over the target and they opened everytime.. We have used them with success ever since. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, grampy said:

I saw that too in some of the google posts I looked at. After the second shot I taped a piece of paper on there to be sure, and saw no cut marks from any of the three blades. Just slight indentation from the "tabs".

Thanks for commenting thought Rob.

With the spitfires being over the top expandable’s  they technically  don’t fully open until  they pass through the hide of deer and open on the inside. Do you have cut marks from the blades on the backside of your target ? 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, grampy said:

That I don't know. But what you are saying does make sense. Think I'll tape a sheet of paper on the "back" of the target and see? 

Thanks again!

Spitfires always have a small entrance hole and a huge exit . 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Spitfires always have a small entrance hole and a huge exit . 

All three hunters in my group use spitfires.  As Rob said it is common that the blades have not deployed until after the spitfire has passed through the hide on the entrance side.  The exit wound always shows that the blades are fully opened.  For blood trailing purposes it is crucial to take shots where an exit hole is probable!  We have had great success with spitfires, which is why we still use them.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the comments guys! 

I was just concerned when I saw the blades in the closed position, sticking out of the back of the target. But perhaps the "sudden stop" pushes them back to closed??? A sheet of paper on the back of the target will let me know for sure. 

I hope my disappointment will turn to confidence. I really do want them to work. Like the many reviews I read said they would.

I've used the Spitfire and and current MAXX's for the past 5 Xbow seasons with good performance & harvests. Don't know about any other mechanical BHs, but bt design all are the "cut on contact" type. Does take some resistance to make them deploy, so the entry wound should be minimal compared to the exit wound. Just me, but I don't care how they perform on a block target, rather how they fly compared to field point. BTW - I don't know if these BHs actually deploy within a block or not, only occasionally will the very tip extend out the back of my ~15" block target. Obviously when you pull them out the blades are folded forward again.

I'd have to think you'd find the same kind of reviews for the NAP Spitfires as you would the Rages. Love 'em or hate 'em, nothing in between!

• Like 1

OK.....went back out tonight and placed a sheet of paper on the back of the target. And the blades obviously opened! These shoot very accurate too!

I am no longer disappointed. And my confidence is restored! If I do hunt with my crossbow this year. I'm certain these heads will work fine, if I put it where it needs to go.

Thanks again for the help guys!!

• Like 3

FYI - When you get all s/u to hunt with these BHs.. reach down and insure blades are completely nested. Found a couple times mine got .. loose after walking thru woods, brush. That'd definitely make them fly erratically with a blade (s) pre-maturely deployed.

• Like 1

OK.....went back out tonight and placed a sheet of paper on the back of the target. And the blades obviously opened! These shoot very accurate too!
I am no longer disappointed. And my confidence is restored! If I do hunt with my crossbow this year. I'm certain these heads will work fine, if I put it where it needs to go.
Thanks again for the help guys!!
You're going to love them when you use them on a deer, they're devastating. My favorite head, and I've tried alot!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

.... but there are those that claim they don't give a good blood trail! IDK, never had this happen to me when using Spitfires &/or the Maxx versions! Most I've shot w/Spitfires have gone down within sight or at least I heard them crash.

Edited by nyslowhand
  • Like 1

I’ve not shot the Maxx series, but my go-to also is the Spitfires.  I’ve killed two deer, and a turkey with them, and the blood trail each time (with the deer) is easily trackable.  I keep rages as back-ups, but lost a deer once, switched to the spitfires, and have not looked back.