Do you remember the first spot you ever went deer hunting at ?

Hunter007

The  first place I ever went hunting at was  in Catskills Roscoe New York  when I was 13  with my father and cousins can't remember the exact place but pretty sure if I go back there I can find it  even if it's been over 20 years since i hunted that spot .  Remember it was really cold that year and over a foot of snow on the ground and , some found its way in my boots almost got frostbite by the end of the day. 

the first place I ever went small game hunting at was Stewart state Forest  . Have not been back there in years all of this talk about it on here making me want  to go back there  again  probably changed since last time I was there  over 20 years  I would imagine. 

Edited by Hunter007

I'm Still hunting the same spot my favorite stand is only 30 maybe 50 feet max from my original stand. Only reason I had to change was because that big ass tree came crashing down probably 5 years ago now. It was really perfect. Now my stand is less perfect but still pretty damn good

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I grew up on my Dad's 187 acres in Tuscarora Township, Steuben County, about 5 miles south of the village of Addison...

That is where I first hunted deer 54 years ago...  Dad passed away in 1994 and my Mom sold the farm... 

Yep, my cousins 100 acres in woodhull, that he sold 5 years ago. The hunting camp sits on a 5 acre field that slopes down to a crick at the base of a hill. The side of the hill was  open like a horse shoe surrounded by woods. At the top of the opening where our trail goes into woods and leads to the top of the hill is a pine tree. 
I sat there my first time out and missed  5 deer that morning. Now at 16 I didn’t have a clue on deer patterns/ funnels etc. But over the years that became the best spot to hunt, it’s a 100 yard wide funnel of woods that connected big woods on both sides. Myself and wife killed a bunch of deer in that funnel. Actually that’s where my wife killed her first deer about 40 yards up from where I sat. 
I hunted that property for 30 years, it was a sad day when he sold it. He did offer it to us at a good price but we didn’t want acquire that type of debt that late in life . 

Edited by rob-c

36 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Yep, my cousins 100 acres in woodhull, that he sold 5 years ago. The hunting camp sits on a 5 acre field that slopes down to a crick at the base of a hill. The side of the hill was  open like a horse shoe surrounded by woods. At the top of the opening where our trail goes into woods and leads to the top of the hill is a pine tree. 
I sat there my first time out and missed  5 deer that morning. Now at 16 I didn’t have a clue on deer patterns/ funnels etc. But over the years that became the best spot to hunt, it’s a 100 yard wide funnel of woods that connected big woods on both sides. Myself and wife killed a bunch of deer in that funnel. Actually that’s where my wife killed her first deer about 40 yards up from where I sat. 
I hunted that property for 30 years, it was a sad day when he sold it. He did offer it to us at a good price but we didn’t want acquire that type of debt that late in life . 

For many years I hunted out of" The World's best Treestand", which was a 100 yard strip of woods/brush that connected big woods on both sides.. My stand was right in the middle, and any deer sneaking through that neck was in good shotgun range..I killed about 40 deer from that stand...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Bloomingrove. Easily remembered as, I have only deer hunted perhaps 20 times or so over the Decades. I believe, I was sitting on high ground with my back to a Conifer. The Type that has those Blue Berries.

Sounds like a cedar to me, Bill....That stuff is everywhere in the area where I hunt gobblers in Ontario...

• Thanks 1

I can still hunt the exact spot, that I hunted for the first time 46 years ago. We still call it 'Dug Hill' as did the old timers before us. A primitive logging road was carved, "dug" out of the side of the hill, to bring up the oaks from below, through the hemlocks, and around a small swamp above. This was done long before I was born. At the bottom of Dug Hill, is a stonewall fence line that came to a corner, or 90 degree angle. With some of the stones piled in the corner, in the shape of a seat that someone made probably decades before I ever sat there. The classic transition, between hardwoods and hemlocks on a bench of the side hill. And if I were to guess, dozens and dozens of deer had been shot from that spot, by some old guys that were my mentors. And a few by me alone over the years, including my very first. It was an honor, and right of passage when the old guys let you sit that spot!

That property was bought by the state 20 or so years ago, to expand Thatcher Park, and borders our property. But I still make my way down there each year to sit on that pile of stones that are still stacked there. To hear the whispered voices through the trees. And to pay homage to the ones who sat there before me. And wonder who may sit there after me.

• Like 5

Much like Grampy, I can, and do, still hunt the same exact spot.  It's a stone wall intersection, with a pile of stones sitting there stacked up into a seat just for a hunter.  Smack dab in the middle of a 100 acre white oak Forest on the south face of the hill.

Opening morning, first day, a big bruiser 8 came cruising through right at dawn, probably trotted 20 yards away perfectly broadside.  REALLY bad case of the shakes, and I missed with a 12 gauge.  Took me another 3 years to get a buck after that.

still hunting that spot. tree is still there i sat behind with my dad before i could legally carry a gun and hunt. now i've got a hangon stand in any given location a stones throw away from it. i hunt it practically every year on opening day of gun season. tradition i guess but it's a good spot that produces a buck. whether it's a bigger one i'll shoot is depends on what's around. still i sit there.

Edited by dbHunterNY

Old Chatham, 4U, late 70's

I remember my first time on stand by myself. My brother dropped me off and said stay here till dark. I'll come get you.  Seen two doe, but they were 50+ yrds out. 

Only live 15 min from there, but haven't hunted it since the property sold in the late 90's.