Do you remember the first spot you ever went deer hunting at ?

Hunter007

its what hooked me forever.  8 years old tagging along with my Dad in Lewis county.  walked a trail and sat over by a beaver damn and saw a big bear at 300 yards.  My Dad was carrying a browning sweet 16.  I asked him if he was gonna shoot it.  " Nah were gonna let him go".  Havent seen a bear in the woods since. 

Early 70's. State land, up Flugertown Rd near Willowemoc Campground and head waters. Hunted out of the old Paramont Hotel in Parksville.

Before I was old enough to hunt, from the time I was 6, my dad had me tagging along with him in the Adirondacks near North Creek. Buckskin Valley Lodge.

Yep! I remember all three fist times.

The very first I was 8-9. One of my older brothers let me tag along. We hunted some private land on a farm out near Minaville. My mother had known the owner of the farm for years. We mainly still hunted. Looking back, with two of us, it's no wonder we didn't see anything.

When I was 13, my sisters boyfriend got me into hunting on a more serious direction. That was on private land out in Jefferson ( not Jefferson County ). Again, my mother knew people so we had private land to hunt. That was mainly me being taught about the woods and learning to deer hunt. That was mainly my mom, my sister, and myself putting on little drives to my sisters boyfriend. The next year I had my course completed and was actually hunting small game putting on the drives. That's the way it went for two seasons.

The first time I actually got to hunt deer, I was 16. Same area out in Jefferson, private land in an area that was mainly hardwoods but did have some huge pine trees scattered here and there. My first morning sit! Back eons ago when the season opener was Monday. I was happy just to skip school! There was about 4 inches of snow on the ground, I was dropped off to head in to my chosen spot from boots on the ground scouting over the Summer. It was just a rock rock in front of me, and a big pine tree behind me. Had one of those "heated hunting seat pads", To this day, I still don't like those things, I have one, and my wife seems to like it, but not me. I watched some does mosey by, almost lost it and blasted a couple tree rats that were loud as a rock concert. No blood for me. My sisters boyfriend did kill a nice doe that day though.

Edited by DirtTime
spelling

Every northern tier opening w/e, dad went up to a friends camp on Stony Lake, off the Number Four Rd east of Lowville, wonderful wild forest. My first year and time deer hunting, I went along. Dad toted his 8mm Mauser, and I had a model 94 Winchester that I garbage picked, believe it or not. The Bbl was sticking out of a trashcan on garbage day, and I found it on my morning paper route. It was taken apart, and missing a couple action pieces and the butt stock, but for sixty bucks we got it cooking! Back then, (that would have been 1977) taking a deer was much more rare than today, and it stirred the pot in camp when I had a pretty doe come ambling by . 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

Every northern tier opening w/e, dad went up to a friends camp on Stony Lake, off the Number Four Rd east of Lowville, wonderful wild forest. My first year and time deer hunting, I went along. Dad toted his 8mm Mauser, and I had a model 94 Winchester that I garbage picked, believe it or not. The Bbl was sticking out of a trashcan on garbage day, and I found it on my morning paper route. It was taken apart, and missing a couple action pieces and the butt stock, but for sixty bucks we got it cooking! Back then, (that would have been 1977) taking a deer was much more rare than today, and it stirred the pot in camp when I had a pretty doe come ambling by . 

I spent a lot of time close to that area.  Took a lot of trout from the independence river, otter, sunday, etc..

Dad had a camp on chase lake. We never saw much for deer either. 

State land straight across rte 70 from Swain. That was 43 hunting seasons ago and I knew nothing. Over a foot of snow fell the previous evening and all I knew was that this was state land that I could hunt on. Parked on rte 70 and slogged my way straight uphill till I was near the top. I was surprised to spot a number of other hunters along the top ridge and wondered how they got up there as mine was the only vehicle parked along 70. Then I hit the road.......that comes up the hill from just south of where I parked. Found a tree to climb up in and about one hour later a buck comes strolling along! One shot and he drops right in his tracks! OK, now what? I climb down out of the tree, lean my shotgun (Ted Williams 12 ga from Sears) against a tree and pull out my knife to get to work, not that I really had a clue as to what to do.  Turns out, I didn’t have to do anything. The deer jumped up (minus one antler) and ran off.

Finally went back there after 43 years but it has changed in many ways. Didn’t shoot at another deer for the next three seasons but started learning a lot along the way. Not a great hunt but great memories.

• Like 2

Greeneville, NY, sitting on the corner of a ridge with my dad overlooking a hardwood flat with a creek out in front and to the right of us. I was about 10yrs old. It was cool that we could hear the deer's hoofs on the rocks crossing the creek before we could see them.  Many deer were taken off that spot until a poacher shot the farmer's dog and everyone was kicked off the property. The farm got sold and was developed into a girl's summer camp. Drove down there a few years ago and it is unrecognizable from what it was 30 years ago.

Lancaster CC where my dad was superintendent for 43 years   I had sole permission to hunt there. I shot a scrub buck 5 point and had never field dressed a deer before. My brother beforehand said cut out anything you don't want to eat. So that's what I did. This was prior to computers/internet.  I learned to deer hunt by myself. Trapping as a kid taught me a lot about deer out there though.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I spent a lot of time close to that area.  Took a lot of trout from the independence river, otter, sunday, etc..

Dad had a camp on chase lake. We never saw much for deer either. 

My hunting camp more or less butts up to Stony Lake. Not very deery but beautiful nonetheless!

• Like 2

Wyoming county NY.  I shot a doe. The guy I was with wanted to give up on finding her and I just couldn't. I literally was crawling through some dense shit. I heard her death thrashing and it scares the hell out of me, thought something was going to get me. Lol 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Tughill Tamer said:

Barnes Corners I still hunt there frequently. I've got alot of memories from that place.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Did you ever go to the old Barnes corners hotel. Best meal ever.... Steak and rainbow trout.  Huge monster steak with a full filleted rainbow. It was a great place. 

• Like 1

Did you ever go to the old Barnes corners hotel. Best meal ever.... Steak and rainbow trout.  Huge monster steak with a full filleted rainbow. It was a great place. 
Yes I did I remember the place wasn't nothing fancy but the food was outstanding. I remember they had an all you can eat smorgasbord one time and the food was so great I ate so much I ended up getting sick later that night.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Red Brook state lands in German. Shot my first buck while out hunting with my Dad who had shot deer but never gutted one as he would puke at the smell. That was the worst 45 minutes ever for a 16 year old trying to guy it with no help and listening to Dad gag, over and over.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk