Crossbow quiver?

ApexerER

What do you guys use for a crossbow quiver? The quiver that came with my crossbow only holds 3 bolts. Last year, when I took a doe with the crossbow I hit her high and had to put a 2nd bolt in her from the treestand. I then spent the rest of the sit thinking if a big buck comes in and I happen to do the same thing I only have 1 bolt. I wasn't lucky enough to have that big buck come in but the next time I went hunting with the crossbow I used my compound quiver. (holds 5) The bolts fit so tightly that the were very hard to put in and take out. Now that I am back to my compound the arrows are looser in that quiver than I would like from squeezing bolts into it. I am wondering if I should just make that quiver my crossbow quiver and purchase a new quiver for my compound. Do they make a crossbow specific quiver? I have looked on the web and I don't see anything bolt specific. 

I don't know if mine holds more than 3 but I only ever carry three when hunting with xbow or bow. I've only been at this since 2015 but only once have I ever had the opportunity or need to shoot two arrows in a single hunt, so I figure with three I'll probably be good. It's extremely unlikely to get the chance to shoot an injured deer again IMO. I think having it happen twice in the same session (hit deer, it's injured, but presents chance for second shot) to be almost inconceivable.

I once got a buck and a doe shortly thereafter on the same morning. Another time I hit a deer and it ran off and back in front of me presenting a second chance, but that was highly unusual!

Edited by Core

34 minutes ago, Core said:

I don't know if mine holds more than 3 but I only ever carry three when hunting with xbow or bow. I've only been at this since 2015 but only once have I ever had the opportunity or need to shoot two arrows in a single hunt, so I figure with three I'll probably be good. It's extremely unlikely to get the chance to shoot an injured deer again IMO. I think having it happen twice in the same session (hit deer, it's injured, but presents chance for second shot) to be almost inconceivable.

I once got a buck and a doe shortly thereafter on the same morning. Another time I hit a deer and it ran off and back in front of me presenting a second chance, but that was highly unusual!

I don't disagree with this, that needing more than three arrows or bolts would be a highly unusual situation. But it made me think about it last year when I was down to one. I didn't need that last one on that sit. I always carry 5 arrows in my compound, for no other reason than that is what I have always done because that is what the quiver holds. 

I shot a coyote a couple years back with my compound. Never gave it much of a thought because I had 4 more arrows for the rest of the sit. (Of which I used none) But had I shot a coyote with the crossbow and then the doe I had too put a 2nd bolt in, I would have been sitting in the stand out of bolts before primetime. 

I guess all I am saying is, I can't see a situation where carrying two more bolts would hurt me and although it has never happened where I have fired more than two bolts from the stand, I can see where it is a possibility. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, grampy said:

Quiver on my crossbow and compound only holds three arrows.

In about 40 years of bowhunting, I've never needed more than three.

I do always have a couple extra in my truck, to replace any that may get used.

I haven't been bowhunting very long. This is my 5th or 6th season and 3rd with the crossbow. I haven't had a situation where I have needed more than 3 arrows or bolts. (last season was the first time I used two) I guess I was just thinking after that doe that I hit too high and needed to use a 2nd bolt on her that I could see where the situation, although highly unlikely could present itself. Carrying two extra bolts in a quiver would do my no harm at all but maybe in a very rare circumstance might do me good. 

2 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

I haven't been bowhunting very long. This is my 5th or 6th season and 3rd with the crossbow. I haven't had a situation where I have needed more than 3 arrows or bolts. (last season was the first time I used two) I guess I was just thinking after that doe that I hit too high and needed to use a 2nd bolt on her that I could see where the situation, although highly unlikely could present itself. Carrying two extra bolts in a quiver would do my no harm at all but maybe in a very rare circumstance might do me good. 

You are absolutely right! And there have been times where I used two and thought......oh boy, what if...???

And like Larry said, having back ups to your backups is not a bad thing.

But for myself, carrying only three, helps to reaffirm my shot selection process. To make the best shot possible, with the first one, or let em walk.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grampy said:

You are absolutely right! And there have been times where I used two and thought......oh boy, what if...???

And like Larry said, having back ups to your backups is not a bad thing.

But for myself, carrying only three, helps to reaffirm my shot selection process. To make the best shot possible, with the first one, or let em walk.

I never really thought about the shot selection process but that makes sense. I have never considered getting a 2nd shot with the bow or crossbow at an animal I missed. I have always figured I have to make the first one count and have to the best of my abilities. Bow hunting has made me more patient with the gun as well. Even though I always have 5 rounds in that....

To answer your question, I accidentally ran over my crossbow quiver last season (don't ask) and was able to simply attach an extra compound quiver I had around.  As I recall, the holes matched right up with a typical compound mount and no special fabrication was required.  Maybe it was just this crossbow, not sure.  I honestly don't recall if the quiver was a 3 or 5 arrow quiver.

24 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

To answer your question, I accidentally ran over my crossbow quiver last season (don't ask) and was able to simply attach an extra compound quiver I had around.  As I recall, the holes matched right up with a typical compound mount and no special fabrication was required.  Maybe it was just this crossbow, not sure.  I honestly don't recall if the quiver was a 3 or 5 arrow quiver.

Yea, my compound quiver fits on my crossbow no problem but the bolts fit it so tightly that the are very hard to take in and out. The arrows are much thinner than the bolts. Now that I used my compound quiver on my crossbow a couple times last season my arrows are loser than I would like in that quiver. I assume because the bolts stretched it out. That's why I was wondering if there were crossbow specific quivers that hold more than 3 bolts. 

I  might make my compound quiver my crossbow quiver and maybe see if I can make the holders a little larger so the bolts go in and out easier and then just get a new quiver for my compound. Or maybe if I just use it and leave the bolts in it, it will stretch out and loosen up on its own. 

28 minutes ago, Uncle Nicky said:

Thanks for the reply. I am not really sure that is what I am looking for. I like having the quiver on the crossbow while I am walking and then taking it off and hanging it when in the stand. 

2 hours ago, ApexerER said:

Thanks for the reply. I am not really sure that is what I am looking for. I like having the quiver on the crossbow while I am walking and then taking it off and hanging it when in the stand. 

I lost some arrows walking with the arrows clipped on the crossbow walking in the brush, & sometimes the "recoil" would cause the arrows to fall out (while I was up a tree). It was a Barnett, so that may have had something to do with it. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

• Like 1