2019 Rut Observations And Activity.

grampy

4 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I read a NY article talking about 2019 not being like 2017&2018. 

2017 and 2018 had 2-prong chasing- one early around halloween and then late november. 

Whereas, 2019 will be a shorter burst but much more noticeable activity. It mentioned 11/12 and how the gun season is only 4 days from that on 11/16.

Another friendly reminder to gun guys that they should buy xbows and get in on this!

Is that article accurate do you think? I mean has it been in the past...?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Core said:

Another friendly reminder to gun guys that they should buy xbows and get in on this!

Is that article accurate do you think? I mean has it been in the past...?

I find that it is very specific to your area. The so called experts tell you that it happened this week or that week and I usually see something different within a couple of weeks. I heard someone saying the rut was on last week and I was still seeing bucks running together.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

I find that it is very specific to your area. The so called experts tell you that it happened this week or that week and I usually see something different within a couple of weeks. I heard someone saying the rut was on last week and I was still seeing bucks running together.

^^^^THIS^^^^

Many times I have seen good rutting action at one spot, and just a few miles away, see bucks together, and with doe feeding unmolested at all by the bucks. Mostly seen the difference between down off the hill in the flat lands, to up in the hilltowns. But have also seen this happen between my two hunting properties seven miles apart!!!

Of course I'm not seeing every deer in the woods. But I have never figured out why one area has bucks dogging the doe big time, and the doe standing for a buck.. And just a short distance away, the doe want nothing to do with the bucks. Then a week or two later, the area situation reverses.

• Like 3

9K - Fawns seem to be on their own. Young bucks are bumping heads, I watched two button bucks really pushing each other around the other morning, I have never seen that before.  Watched a 4pt and spike casually poking around a doe. She ignored them completely.  Scrapes are opening up, seeing more rubs.

On 10/17/2019 at 8:23 AM, grampy said:

^^^^THIS^^^^

Many times I have seen good rutting action at one spot, and just a few miles away, see bucks together, and with doe feeding unmolested at all by the bucks. Mostly seen the difference between down off the hill in the flat lands, to up in the hilltowns. But have also seen this happen between my two hunting properties seven miles apart!!!

Of course I'm not seeing every deer in the woods. But I have never figured out why one area has bucks dogging the doe big time, and the doe standing for a buck.. And just a short distance away, the doe want nothing to do with the bucks. Then a week or two later, the area situation reverses.

Woman's prerogative?

• Haha 1

New scrapes where old ones are! Means they are using the area. Rubs can show a travel path if you find a bunch but that won't mean they will be in that same spot or path.  You can set up over a scrape and use cover to your advantage. You know the deer will visit that exact spot.

Couldn't tell the size of buck as it was getting rather dark, seen a deer chasing another throughout the field. She would zigzag and he was doing his best to stay on her. Wife and I watched from the car for several minutes until it got to dark to see them. 

10 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

I’m SO far behind schedule this year! Haven’t done any scouting to speak of, which do you think is better sign to hunt over if you had to Choose though, ruts or scrapes and why ? 

Thanks 

between bedding and scrapes. Not over them. 

Young 8 and a big tall 10 in the backyard today then 2 doe came in and that 8 took off after the bigger doe . After a couple minutes he came back out to rejoin his buddy after about 20 minutes or so they disappeared back into the woods. Awesome to see. Not quite ready yet.