2019 Rut Observations And Activity.

grampy

8H and 8F: I've been seeing tons of scrapes, rubs and sparring. I've also seen a good amount of chasing, but it's only been yearling and 2 year old bucks and doesn't last very long. The 3 year olds and up I've seen have shown no interest in does, but are scraping and sparing like crazy. I had a 3 year old cruise by my stand twice Saturday morning with three tines busted off and I watched him put down no less than three scrapes within ten minutes. I saw my first good buck fight Saturday evening and one of the bucks was at least four, but it was too dark to make out the other. We should really start to see the big boys up on their feet more later this week.

• Like 1

Been seeing rut action, as predicted, starting just after the full moon last week. Two nights ago, three older bucks were rutting behind a doe and her fawn. They were scraping, and intimidating each other. Quite the show. Posturing, ears back, low grunts and moans. etc.  Lucky they didn't scent me, so close. :rolleyes: Starting to hit my zip-tie scrape setups in the daytime. Seen other bachelor groups beginning to break up, the big boys finally on the move, but mostly at night.  Expect to see this action tail off soon though, and then start ramping up again as we get into November. 

The big boys are finally on their feet in the daytime down here by the Pa. border. Starting to get daytime photos of big bucks at scrapes... this buck is super-psyched!  Just gotta be in the right stand. Three different cameras, same buck...about 15 minutes from the first to the last frame of the third camera. 

Big eight point at zip tie scrape .jpg

Here he is at another scrape, just a bit earlier. I have a stand there too. .JPG

And here he is on a third camera...on the move. .JPG

Edited by Buckstopshere
Another photo, and then on the move on a third camera.
  • Like 7

It was quiet in 8H all day, then at 5:30 a group of 5 does slowly worked their way into the field.  Then all hell broke loose when 2 small bucks and a decent 6 chased them in circles until dark.  Good to see some action.  Too bad forecast is calling for rain all day tomorrow. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

From the pics I’ve been getting last night and today, I’d say that the seeking phase is upon us here. 

Matt for the last week or so I’ve been seeing the younger bucks cruising more. Still have most mature bucks coming out at night 

• Like 1

So everyone has their own sign of the rut but what actually is the rut? Rubs...don't think so. Scrapes..seen them for a month now. Buck fights   getting closer. The rut for me is when the bucks lose their minds and only on thing is on mind is to continue the species. This happens a few days before gun season and continues for a few afterwards. These are the days when you can shoot a buck tailing a doe and have 4 others come right in standing over your dead deer. They can give a crap about scent sound and sign. That is the rut for me. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bruno1 said:

Matt for the last week or so I’ve been seeing the younger bucks cruising more. Still have most mature bucks coming out at night 

Starting to get a few daytime pics of big ones, but most are still at night. It won’t be long now. 

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 2

Yes .... it's all rut .  Seek , chase ,  breed .  Seek ... bucks on there feet checking does  . making scrapes  and rubs.  Chase is when they are bird dogging  does that are near estrus... lock down breeding .. buck wont leave a hot doe ... subordinate  bucks in the wings ... . I like to hunt all of it .. breeding  is the best and worst of it . If you have the hot doe on the hill all the bucks are there ... if she is on another hill  your woods are barren of deer it seems. 

• Like 1