Asking for permission

KMurph332

I was wondering what the best way to ask for permission to hunt face to face writing a letter or calling if some of you land owners can chime in on what you like best would be greatly appreciated i know this time of year isent the best time to ask and i know to be dressed decent when meeting face to face any advice from people that have asked before and were granted permission is  very useful to thanks guys and gals

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hock3y24 said:

Not a good time to be asking in my opinion. I try to do face to face but if some one has a long drive way i call and speak with them. Bring a kid if you have one, a well dressed kid with manners does a lot in your favor. 

This is what i do as well.   Most of the extra private land i try to get is for the kids i take out.   But face to face works best in my opinion and usually early summer is best. I also offer to help around land.  Cutting firewood putting up posted signs, mow the loan,ect.

• Like 2

As you noted, a little too late this year. A few other threads about this very topic, Search the forum.

Next year:

Make attempts to meet face-to-face,

Letters or phone calls are too easily ignored & impersonal,

During late spring &/or early summer months,

Be polite & respectful, even if denied,

Know when to take a NO or offer to return at a better time/day,

Have written/verbal proof of your character, (locals you know, employment, military, spouse, etc)

Clearly explain your hunting ethics, weapons &/or intent if approved,

Strictly a bow hunter might get more consideration than a gun hunter, for obvious reasons,

Offer sweat-equity, venison or even a stipend as offer of appreciation,

If granted permission, cultivate the relationship with land-owner.

Edited by nyslowhand
  • Like 2

Do you know of any pick your own places or tree farms or other private lands that are used to having people visit/park on their property? Those properties also tend to have more people around to talk with. Start by being a consumer with your family and while there talk to any and all staff about deer sightings and deer destruction. The young kids working there are a great place for intel. Eventually ask for an owner or a number. PATRONIZE their business regardless of their answer and continue to patronize even after a no-remind them you spoke last year about possibly hunting to help prevent deer from damaging crops.

There have been many years where my family picked a bag at three or four different orchards in one day. One year we came home with well over $150 worth of pumpkins since I was off scouting land around the pumpkin patch with the farmer-kids went nuts and wife was tired of waiting so they re-picked!!! Access granted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Start by asking people you know.  Even if you think they dont own land.  Sometimes you find out they do , or their parents or brother etc.   And there is your in as you are already known.  And agree with nyslowhand ask for bowhunting.   Even if you have  to bowhunt in gun season its still hunting you didnt have and can open into gun later.   

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

Not a good time to be asking in my opinion. I try to do face to face but if some one has a long drive way i call and speak with them. Bring a kid if you have one, a well dressed kid with manners does a lot in your favor. 

Or a hot girlfriend with a low cut top. Just sayin'..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Face to face .

We own land, but everyone thinks the farmer we rent it to owns it ,so they ask him and he gives them my number . So yes I’ve given permission via the phone , but it’s always been a guy who,lived right there . Oh and I don’t hunt our land which is mostly crop fields , so a stand or two in a hedgerow is ok with me .

Ive had good luck face to face , but ,being a land owner in the area and a wife who’s madden name is well known may help . I’ll always introduced my self as So and so’s son in law ......

Also,ask around everywhere and one you know , that may pay off better then knocking on random doors in the area . I had an insurance adjuster at the house years ago, he saw my hunting stuff, before he left he gave me his card and said I could hunt his land in the southern tier , another father on my kids BB team also offered up,some land he owned (  non hunter ).

Good luck .

• Like 1