One for the Hit List

QB1

Now here's the real debate...last year 3 buddies and I started our hunt club.  We all have stands covering 300 acres of property which belongs to of my buddies in laws.  We put one of my stands up in this spot (right behind) the deer in the pic) a few months ago.  We all share stands and you can hunt any of them typically we prepare the night before and plan who will be where.  Now this was a spot I wanted to put a stand in because of the movement from last year, I had 2 extra stands that we put up that day which pretty much I could of put anywhere.  My buddy who "owns" the land put his trail cam up in this spot saw the deer first, he is pushing the I'm the "President" of the Club card pretty hard and I guess you could say I am the green horn being that last year was my first full year hunting this property, but the "club" we only started last year.  We all put the same amount of money in and so on.  The debate is now that he has this buck on camera he wants to hunt this stand opening day...says he's scouted this deer harder then any in his life...which to me is an exaggeration, you a couple trail cam pics, really isnt hard scouting to check a memory card.  My thought is, I wanted to put the stand there, its my stand should be my choice, his thought is you wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for me so its my call...who's right?

Legally, its his property and he could put you off it if he wanted. Ethically, between friends, between men, its pretty bad form on his part. I'm going to put it out there that if it were me, he could have that buck, that stand, and everything else on his property, because I wouldn't be there again. If that is any indication on how your club will be governed in the future, it seems like a great club FOR HIM to be in. Just my opinion.

First I would go with Mr. Perfect he is very perfecto looking.  2nd just because you got a couple cam pics there doesn't mean you will see him there come hunting he could be anywhere around the farm maybe not even there when he goes hard horned typically the big ones have a completely different pattern when the bone gets polished so I wouldn't be to concerned if he wanted to steal the spot just set up in the general area and when he roams by you instead you will get to rub it in!

I would be hard pressed to call anybody that acted like that my friend. I'm happy for anyone that succeeds on my property be it family or friends, and I dont take charge of stands only because of pictures. I would hate for somebody who invites me to their property and then pull the "its my property" deal. Club or no club, excellent hunting or not that would be the last time I would go to that property. Like someone mentioned come the rut that deer may not even be on your proprety or you may have better chance to tag him on another part of the farm. His routine will most likely change when he becomes hard horned.

If it were me i would let him hunt the stand and then scout for a new spot on the farm to hang a new stand in. like everybody else has said come fall that buck will most likely be long gone from that area anyways or be on a totally differenet travel route. Are there any white oaks on the property? If there are i bet you will find that deer and every other deer on the farm there come early season when they are falling off the trees and could make an ever better spot to hang a stand.

John 

I agree with all the points made.  Everything has remained friendly between us on the situation of who's gonna hunt that spot but there is that underlying tension of if I wanted to push the issue it could become just that, an issue.  Its really been more of busting each others chops..."I'll shoot it and let you gut it"  A few of the comments he made "I guess you forgot who let you hang that stand" and "I've scouted this buck harder then any other" kind of bugged me but it is what it is.  It would be something that when the season comes around I bag him in another stand or even better one of the other guys knocks him out.  Either way I hope next time I share a photo he's on the ground!

Our "club" draws cards on the night before opening day.  High card gets first pick for the morning hunt.  Last pick moves up to first for the evening choice of stands and everyone else moves down.  Seems like if everyone paid the same amount of money to hunt the property...everyone should have the same opportunity to hunt stands.

Our "club" draws cards on the night before opening day.  High card gets first pick for the morning hunt.  Last pick moves up to first for the evening choice of stands and everyone else moves down.  Seems like if everyone paid the same amount of money to hunt the property...everyone should have the same opportunity to hunt stands.

Thats actually what I was thinking, doing a closet to the bullseye or high card...I am going to bring that up when we meet in the next couple weeks.

That's a crappy way to treat a friend, but some pics are not certainty that this buck will be standing there on opening day. 

Our informal hunt club is on WMU 7M property my west coast uncle owns, making me the de facto "leader".  We've each picked-out our own areas for stands and don't gripe about the other guys area.  We've all gotten decent bucks and does at each location.  After some deer are down we're all gentlemen about switching-up stand locations.  If we have a guest we all work hard to get them a deer first. 

It sounds like you would fit in well with our guys.  We would have no patience for the attitude displayed by your "president".  He'd be one-and-done with us.