The legend returns!

WNY Bowhunter

On 10/13/2019 at 11:54 AM, fasteddie said:

Do those old deer really taste like shoe leather ? 

it depends some for whatever reason do when they get all rutted up. injury, stress, idk. I've had bucks up to 5.5 years old though and couldn't tell any difference  between that and another buck. could imagine the getting bucks 5.5+ yrs old every year around here whether on cam or to hunt. it takes a lot to keep the whole town at bay once one turns 3.5 or 4.5 yrs old. lol

On 10/12/2019 at 10:55 AM, WNY Bowhunter said:

Good eye! He actually did have a nasty looking, apparent gunshot wound there when he appeared after season back in 2014 as a 2.5 yr old. He was already shed out and looked in pretty rough shape but somehow pulled through. I'll post pics later...

Chicks dig scars

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

friend showed me a hero picture of a buck out this way. it was "only" a 7 pointer but likely 6.5 yrs old. forget score it was huge. anyone would be happy taking it.

keep after him!

I'll have to dig up the pics of him....all the way back to when he showed up as a yearling in 2013.

Just went through the trailcam archives and came up with 7 yrs of history with this deer.

The buck that would eventually be called "Big 6" showed up on the farm after season in 2013 as broken racked yearling...

1.5.thumb.JPG.3af8d3a70a73cb2e2dd086089fa41c6d.JPG

He was a cool looking 6pt at 2.5...showed up after season with an apparent gun shot wound at the top of his shoulders. He would have a noticable indent in this spot from this point on...

2.5-1.thumb.JPG.584bd33f8c75a7efd9c665304a1cb173.JPG

2.5-2.thumb.JPG.4b8cee73dd2beaaf8ae5580d166bc179.JPG

2.5-3.thumb.JPG.f7e8e8d1feb3be0f9eed70babee57a08.JPG

Was pretty surprised when he survived the brutal second half to the winter of '14-'15. Working some scrapes at 3.5...

3.5.thumb.JPG.4a3cfeca6deae6bd28464e503b820352.JPG

3.5-1.thumb.JPG.daad7b16350c132fa0369d63a3bfe6da.JPG

3.5-2.thumb.JPG.a167647a0b7b8857cee2f06dd77fec4a.JPG

Now more pics of him for an entire year from  December of 2015 to December of 2016 when he showed up tending a late season doe @ 4.5...

4.5-1.thumb.JPG.41f27e9a3db1e27b130bfb2b34aab8b5.JPG

4.5.thumb.JPG.0f7b836d347425ba0dd944bfcf04b62f.JPG

4.5-2.thumb.JPG.445b0a8ef7d1f73455967b17b2141320.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

That's awesome. He held his own as a 2.5 yr old with a really decent set of antlers. Doesnt look like the injury messed with him much. We've had bucks get hit and all sorts of crazy things happen to their antlers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've seen some interesting racks develope from injuries, particularly in the hindquarter area.

What i find amazing, it really boggles my mind, that we can get so many pics. of a buck but yet they elude all these hunters for years and years. I once had a yearling on cam, a non typical with a palmated rack, looked like a moose. I only got that one picture of him. Years later i run into a neighbor that shot that buck i think it was 4-5 years later. The buck was actually featured  i think 3 years back in the DEC booklet thats given out with our licenses, it was labeled as the Moose buck. Where do they go? Some are just very smart, some just being nocturnal for many years.  I usually only get a crack at those big boys when they are tending  a doe, trailing does to a food source...even when they are starved, they move to eat under cover of darkness.  Cant tell you how many pics i have of big bucks in my plots during hunting season and the time stamp shows they come into the plot after dark and usually leave 1/2 hr. To an hour before sunrise. Theres just so much land and pockets they can hide in. The big boys know thier safe havens. I really hope you tag that big boy, would be neat considering all the documented history you have of him. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Yeah, I've seen some interesting racks develope from injuries, particularly in the hindquarter area.

yea it seems like hits or injuries to areas that are effected by a deer's daily function and don't particularly heal well effect antler growth more. hind quarter, ankle, leg, etc all get heavily used. this guys hit to the top of the shoulder was likely just a flesh wound that didn't getting into strained muscle as much. my thoughts anyway.

5 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

What i find amazing, it really boggles my mind, that we can get so many pics. of a buck but yet they elude all these hunters for years and years. I once had a yearling on cam, a non typical with a palmated rack, looked like a moose. I only got that one picture of him. Years later i run into a neighbor that shot that buck i think it was 4-5 years later. The buck was actually featured  i think 3 years back in the DEC booklet thats given out with our licenses, it was labeled as the Moose buck. Where do they go? Some are just very smart, some just being nocturnal for many years.  I usually only get a crack at those big boys when they are tending  a doe, trailing does to a food source...even when they are starved, they move to eat under cover of darkness.  Cant tell you how many pics i have of big bucks in my plots during hunting season and the time stamp shows they come into the plot after dark and usually leave 1/2 hr. To an hour before sunrise. Theres just so much land and pockets they can hide in. The big boys know thier safe havens. I really hope you tag that big boy, would be neat considering all the documented history you have of him. 

i've found it's access/pressure related. nocturnal term is in context of the immediate spot you hunt or check cams. oldest bucks i've known here tend to shift their patterns to swamps or an adjacent property that might not get hunted as hard and provide better cover. This happens during hard antler or soon after. Also if a buck gets hit, it'll typically shift to an area or section of woods with less pressure than the one it routinely visited.  while i don't believe bucks think strategy some have daily habits or patterns that coincidentally make them hard to kill. add to that they're less tolerant or ignorant to poor woodsmanship mistakes a hunter makes and they live. another buck in the area might be just as wary and it's just as "smart" but it's day to day happens to put it in an area accessible to a hunter that can capitalize on the opportunity before it's pushed to a spot they don't have access to. bet your a$$ every buck is on their feet right now looking for love or setting himself up to do so.