First Self Filmed Bow Kill (Public Land Doe)

Canis Latrans

Hey guys this is my first attempt at self filming an entire hunt ending in a harvest. I'm starting up a hunting channel where I hunt solely in upstate New York. Almost all of my hunting is on heavily pressured public land. I stay mobile and use a lone wolf climbing stand or hang on and sticks. Let me know what you guys think about the video. Lots more to come and they will get better as I go. Thanks!

• Like 38

Hoyt, thanks a lot. That link is from the youtube channel I made. There are a couple trail cam videos for now and two other short videos from hunts. If you click on the green circle on the top left corner of the link above it should take you to the channel where you can see the other videos and hit subscribe to automatically be told when I send a new video out.

It doesn't seem like there are a lot of people in NY doing self filming. The ones that are seem to be mostly on farms and ag fields and I felt like there weren't many channels that relate to the pressured public land hunts in NY a lot of us deal with.

• Like 1

Well done. What is your filming situation? go pros stuck on tree....? Is it a hassle chasing the deer around with it before the shot? Last year I mounted my iphone on my xbow and got a video of a deer except of course the release of the arrow caused so much vibration the video sucked. I feel like some head-mounted gopro pointing in the direction of the deer would work well.

BTW get yourself a lighted nock. It is a must have and particularly with video you could look back and see exactly where you hit it before recovery.

Edited by Core

Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback. The camera is a Canon HF G30 with Fourth Arrow Camera Arm.  I was concentrating so much on trying to make a perfect shot from my perspective I thought the deer was going to turn to the right and screw up the shot. The video shows it was clearly not necessary but it seemed like it was at the time. Lighted knocks would be a good idea. I had one on the other arrow. I can see where the arrow goes in as it is though. I checked that on the camera screen after the shot to make sure it was a good shot. 

• Like 1

I enjoyed watching that and I hate hunting videos. Agree with the poster that it makes you feel like you're in the tree.

I would consider losing the talking at the end as I find it destroyed the magic of the hunt. Though you see him, Primitive Technology's videos are a good example of the power of silence. You can save your "voice" for the comment section.  

Good luck.

I must say I watched the video on the train with no sound and I was getting excited when I saw that doe walk through and was just itching to take the shot! Must say impressive work self filming a nice hunt with nice camera work too! Looking forward to more videos! Also I second the comments about getting lighted nocks. Not only does it look super cool also helps finding the arrow. At least that's been my experience with them. I'd recommend Firenock they are the Rolls Royce of lighted nocks

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys. I agree about limiting the talking as I rather like videos where you hear just the natural noises. It's always a compromise between limiting the rambling and giving information to keep people interested. Can we all just agree on no music? 

I should have showed the impact and exit, that's kind of a common sense thing to include. I'll add that next time. 

The last criticism is that you cannot see where the shot lands which is not only satisfying but helps you know you made a good shot in the moment.  I reviewed the shot on the camera's LCD screen immediately after, and could see the hit. It might be youtube's compression making it hard for people to see the arrow's path. I should have included a cropped and zoomed replay in the video, it's a clear oversight and will be included next time. Instead of re-uploading everything again I made a video for those interested in the impact. This video should allow most to see not only where the arrow hits, but some sort of slight deflection on impact. 

Edited by Canis Latrans
Link Not Working
  • Like 2

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys. I agree about limiting the talking as I rather like videos where you hear just the natural noises. It's always a compromise between limiting the rambling and giving information to keep people interested. Can we all just agree on no music? 
I should have showed the impact and exit, that's kind of a common sense thing to include. I'll add that next time. 
The last criticism is that you cannot see where the shot lands which is not only satisfying but helps you know you made a good shot in the moment.  I reviewed the shot on the camera's LCD screen immediately after, and could see the hit. It might be youtube's compression making it hard for people to see the arrow's path. I should have included a cropped and zoomed replay in the video, it's a clear oversight and will be included next time. Instead of re-uploading everything again I made a video for those interested in the impact. This video should allow most to see not only where the arrow hits, but some sort of slight deflection on impact. 

Hot diggity you smoked her!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Really like the video.. I'm assuming you've seen The Hunting Public... I think that's awesome you're up for a challenge..

One land I hunt is a suburban 5 acres with little pressure, and the other is 40 acres with moderate pressure on either side of me.. Good luck man

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JRod 8G8H said:

Really like the video.. I'm assuming you've seen The Hunting Public... I think that's awesome you're up for a challenge..

One land I hunt is a suburban 5 acres with little pressure, and the other is 40 acres with moderate pressure on either side of me.. Good luck man

Love those guys on the hunting public

• Like 1