Taxidermy prices?

Forest Hunter

The last head I had done (2 years ago) cost around $450-475 from one of the better ( and higher priced) taxidermists around here. Bargain basement guys are getting around $300  or so, but don't expect high quality.

Whole body mammals like foxes, coyotes and bobcats take quite a bit of time and talent, for a decent job. Haven't had one done, but I expect they would be more expensive as a rule than a deer head.

Prices vary, as said...greatly. Generally the more you pay, the better the job. Compare work with as many taxidermists as you can. Make sure they have the animals on display you want done. Be sure also, that the taxidermist does all his own work (some have more than a little help from friends who want to learn it...i have learned the hard way). Ask how long he has been in business, how many mounts he has done. I have one taxidermist who does some work for me which is good- and fairly priced, and another who does outstanding...and is significantly more. It depends on how much I value the trophy.

I definatley say check out the work beforehand and maybe get some references.  A bad job might not just be it looks bad but in a few years time things might start to fall apart.  Some of the best deer mounts I have seen come from the hobby type basement taxidermist who are not overwhelmed with mounts so they take their time and get things right.  I see alot of deer mounts where the taxidermist doesnt take the time or the care when they are scraping the hide to work gently around the wiskers and they fall out.  A deer mount without its wiskers is a poor one in my opinion and shows less care taken when being mounted.

I have had deer ducks a bear and some other small game done by Richie from FINS TO FEATHERS

check out his web site he has a link on here to his web I bin using Rich for well over 25 years his prices are good and his work speaks for it self I would not go to any one ells

Papabear

I have 2 rules when chosing a taxidermist... never chose a taxidermist that says he'll have your head done in a couple months... or one that doesn't have the hide properly tanned and tumbled... other than that you need to see the guys work.. and not just the stuff he finished yesterday, you need to see work that is much older to see how well his work is holding up over time.

It really boils down to quality .....long term quality. I have a guy I us in Rochester. He is definitely not the cheapest but his quality is great. He tans his own hides and tans for a lot of other guys across the state. The way I look at it is you do really get what you pay for and if you want to display the animal make sure it does it the justice it deserves. Mine I just got back was full sneak ...head turned and was $535

, you need to see work that is much older to see how well his work is holding up over time.

well i have 25 + years of FINS TO FEATHERS taxadermywork 

hanging on my walls if you want to see them

even the brant that both my daughter'stook to school for show and tell 25 years ago still holding toghther

papabear

Great points by many.  I answered price because that was the question, but frankly it's the last thing I consider.  Quality over time, lifelike appearance and attention to detail are the driving forces.  Of course I don't want to throw money away, but the best way to waste money on taxidermy is to get a substandard mount. 

I always see the work of the taxidermist and ask for multiple references who have done business with the taxidermist over a long number of years and mounts. 

I've settled on Bob Halbritter at North Shore Taxidermy in Williamstown, NY.  He is very open with references and proudly displays mounts done 25+ years ago in his studio.  I'm a relatively new customer but am very happy with his work.  He's not the cheapest, but he is competitive.  Being a biologist, hunter, guide and game preserve owner gives him a depth of knowledge about animals that transfers to his work.

A full-mount fox for $200? thats insanely cheap.  A good deer head mount will be like $500-$650 and should take several months before you get it back.  I use Kurt Fox http://www.foxstudiostaxidermy.com/index.html His work is outstanding.  I am not familiar with Fins to Feathers, however I do disagree with the statements regarding fish. Repro mounts are nowhere near the quality of skin mounts. I have many large trout and salmon skin mounts that have held up for years.  Also why do a repro mount and throw the fish back, then someone could catch the fish and have the same mount as you? doesnt make sense to me. Its like doing a repro mount of a deer head you took a pic of on a trail camera.  Anyway see the pic attached from Fins to Feathers. I have never seen a LM Bass that looks like this. Its so fake looking lol. Skin Mounts are the way to go.

post-1988-131455480818_thumb.jpg

Thanks a bunch guys i have a little change box i have been slipping a few bucks in once a week to save up for a mount this year. I have always wanted my own trophy mount. It looks like there is a good average of maybe $450 id say and i have just about that much.

How much does a full body mount run for? im guessing double since it is twice the size so twice the work.

Thanks a whole bunch guys!

Forest Hunter

I get 450 for a deer head and turnaround time depends on how busy I am and when you bring it in. As far as the fish comparison goes you cant compare to different guys work. The skin mount you posted is done by a master taxidermist, he could do a repro that looks just as good, its all in the painting. There are alot of good taxidermists out there and there are some great taxidermists out there you have to find a guy that you like. Expect to pay more for better quality and in the end you will be much happier with a great mount as opposed to saving 100 or 150 dollars for a so so mount.