Otters!

Daveboone

I have been delighted to see the increase in otters through the Tug Hill region. They originally were reintroduced with the assist of trappers not so long ago, and seem to be thriving. Near home (southern Oswego County) I have seen them cross the road several times. Two years ago I watched a very large one exploring near a stream while deer hunting. To the unfamiliar, I was struck by the resemblance to a panther! large thick tail, sinewy body, smallish head - but the short stubby ears and legs are easy to differentiate. I am sure some of the "Cat" sightings are mistaken large otter sightings. Yesterday only about 5 miles from Watertown we had a baby otter cross the road very leisurely, mid day. (no, not a fisher, martin, etc. Very distinctive different body types) It was only maybe24" from nose to tail. I was surprised no parents with it, but I dont know how long they stay with them.

In all the wilderness areas I have been in, one animal I have never seen is a river otter.

I have seen fishers, martens, mink, weasels, wolverines, bobcats and of course lots of buck toothed beavers, but never laid eyeballs on an otter, other than the sea otters that I saw in salt water in AK.

However, I have frequently seen thier tracks on the Cohocton River and its tribs, where I fish often for trout.

One day a fellow who was fishing iwth me had one swim by his boots, a couple hundred yards upstream of where I was fishing..

Several have been roadkilled here in Steuben County.. I am looking forward to my first OTTER experience..