A new way to hunt pheasants

Hunter007

Well not exactly  I think  hunting beaters  go back thousands of years . But this is a new twist on it . I was out small game  hunting  this morning and   saw a guy out this morning pheasant hunting he had a Spanish guy with him really couldn't speak much  English  with just a big machete in his hand  walking  in the bushes  while the other guy with the shotgun was waiting for  birds to be kicked up anyway long story short i started talking to him and he told me he hired that day laborer  to  jump  some pheasants  for him .

I ask how much  he said   40 for three hours .

He said  he used to have dogs but doesn't want to deal with them anymore at his  age said he likes  to travel and not deal with the dogs when he does. 

20191015_104505.jpg

20191015_105025.jpg

Edited by Hunter007

27 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

20191015_105025.thumb.jpg.2c27ac5735909034b1efd97f061ca14a.jpg

I’m not sure I want to know but what in the hell is on the end of that barrel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You never seen a fiber optic sight before?

Name of that one is 

Phoenix Technology 12 Gauge Shotgun Sight 

https://youtu.be/IScvNcLBnZg

Edited by Hunter007

16 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Yea but I’ve never seen anyone put the front and rear sight together, kinda defeats the purpose.

That's there design    I like   it really is easy to see much better then just the  brass beed .   Plus made in usa 

I read a few reviews saying they used that with slugs and got decent accuracy so far I just been using it with birdshot.

Edited by Hunter007

3 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Yea real easy to see the “sight” who needs to see the target?

Ray Charles can see that that thing is a retarded idea!

Send them a letter  lol for bird shot it 

Actually works well don't no about slugs yet .

I guess you are traditionalist 

Send them a letter  lol for bird shot it 
Actually works well don't no about slugs yet .
I guess you are traditionalist 

Why do you need 3 beads to shoot birdshot, you aren’t aiming your pointing. To point at something you have to see the target with that contraption it’s covering up most of the target.

I’m far from a traditionalist actually my main shotgun hasn’t even had a bead on it in a few years since I ran my benelli over with my snowmobile crow hunting. Probably killed 1500 crows with it since and a bunch of squirrels and other critters as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Why do you need 3 beads to shoot birdshot, you aren’t aiming your pointing. To point at something you have to see the target with that contraption it’s covering up most of the target.

I’m far from a traditionalist actually my main shotgun hasn’t even had a bead on it in a few years since I ran my benelli over with my snowmobile crow hunting. Probably killed 1500 crows with it since and a bunch of squirrels and other critters as well.

That is  all I could find to put on that shotgun that was fiber optic at first I was a little  skeptical  like you  but after seeing  the positive reviews  I decided to get one after using it   I found no down side to it  . Of course everyone's eyes are a little different  you may not like it for all I know its the  type of thing you have to try out to know for sure I guess that is all I can tell you. 

• Like 2

Wow he should be careful. I almost got a ticket for having my nephew kick thur the brush for me one year . The officer said if they don't have a license  that they can not do anything but watch . I was like what if he is walking with me and kicks one up the officer said it is up to the officer who caught you . That's why I go max.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, cynthiafu said:

Wow he should be careful. I almost got a ticket for having my nephew kick thur the brush for me one year . The officer said if they don't have a license  that they can not do anything but watch . I was like what if he is walking with me and kicks one up the officer said it is up to the officer who caught you . That's why I go max.

How do you say "woof, woof!" in spanish?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, cynthiafu said:

Yea  now that you mention it the Spanish guy just had on his normal close Jean's and white sweater  on didn't see a back tag on him either  other guy was  all blaze standard hunting clothes  . I guess  over there they don't care  .

9 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

My Dad killed a bunch of pheasants years ago. He never used a dog. He just walked through the high grass until one flushed and then shot em.

I wouldn't walk in that  tall crap unless the temperature is under 40 because  above that ticks are active  I have gotten lucky  a few times  managed to kick them up just by walking along the cut parts  .

Was thinking maybe  use a 3 or  4 foot  stick  tied   to some string and  throw it  into that tall grass and pull it back with the string to try and kick them up that way with out going into that tick infested crap . 

That's what the dog or day laborer is for in that guys case .

Edited by Hunter007
  • Like 1

I use both with a shotgun when shooting at moving target  I point  it comes naturally to me if it is a  still target I  aim like above example works for me .

Can't speak for anyone else as everyones eyes /  are a little different . Type of thing only practice will tell you or what ever you learned first to do that worked .

Edited by Hunter007

Its designed to be used with you target slightly above the front beed .
If you are aiming like picture below  it works fine .
If you technique is different then it's not for you I guess 

24b52ef52495d3620bbc3f4144639527.jpg.46aeab85cd4c561b145a9f97c7b32166.jpg
images.jpeg-11.jpg.c15b24b8ee6349b11ca3bd4b364fa1a1.jpg

The 6 o’clock hold has been around for a long time it’s a bullseye competition method that leaked over to the military and law enforcement back when they were still using bullseye targets. It is used to give a definitive hold on a round target, something that’s very difficulty do otherwise because it’s very hard to consistently hold on center of a circle. The problem with it is that the 6 o’clock hold or Lolli-popping, doesn’t transition to hunting or combat/real life scenarios well at all because there is no definitive spot to hold on the bottom of on a deer, bad guy or what ever else your intended target is. That is why most everyone covers half of their target when shooting things that aren’t round. While instructing I have often gotten guys that wanted to argue this and every time I was able to prove them wrong on the range. With any kind of sights unless you’re aiming at a 10 ring cover the bottom half of the bullet hole or spread you intend on making with the front sight “I think that would be the middle dot on that abomination of a sight that you have strapped to your shotgun” and pull the trigger.

• Like 1

Btw if it bothered me I could easily take a grinder and grind off everything but the center fiberoptic beed that is  on there easy redneck engineering fix .

For the love of god we all saw your scope contraption I think it would in everyone’s best interest to keep any and all power tools as far away from your gun as possible.

Unless you’re going to drill and tap it because we all want to see you turn it into a cannon and be able to shoot it with a fuse through the new touch hole.

3 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

The 6 o’clock hold has been around for a long time it’s a bullseye competition method that leaked over to the military and law enforcement back when they were still using bullseye targets. It is used to give a definitive hold on a round target, something that’s very difficulty do otherwise because it’s very hard to consistently hold on center of a circle. The problem with it is that the 6 o’clock hold or Lolli-popping, doesn’t transition to hunting or combat/real life scenarios well at all because there is no definitive spot to hold on the bottom of on a deer, bad guy or what ever else your intended target is. That is why most everyone covers half of their target when shooting things that aren’t round. While instructing I have often gotten guys that wanted to argue this and every time I was able to prove them wrong on the range. With any kind of sights unless you’re aiming at a 10 ring cover the bottom half of the bullet hole or spread you intend on making with the front sight “I think that would be the middle dot on that abomination of a sight that you have strapped to your shotgun” and pull the trigger.

Not great at explaining it just doing what works for me  yea  it's a little different  on a animal of course  but the target is always slightly above . When I  aim at something. So if it's even if its  1 2 3 points of reference doesn't really block my line of site . Because what ever it is is slightly above it not saying that's the only or best way to do it . Just what works with that site especially. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

For the love of god we all saw you scope contraption I think it would in everyone’s best interest to keep any and all power tools as far away from your gun as possible.

Unless you’re going to drill and tap it because we all want to see you turn it into a cannon and be able to shoot it with a fuse through the new touch hole.

More jokes funny 

20 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

My Dad killed a bunch of pheasants years ago. He never used a dog. He just walked through the high grass until one flushed and then shot em.

We had tons of them where I grew up (SE PA). Sadly, they are all gone now, unless you want to hunt stocked birds.

My father always had a dog of some kind or another, a bird dog or beagle. Some days were better than others, but most Saturdays in the fall we'd come home with something (woodcock, pheasants, rabbits, squirrels). But those days are just past history now. We hunted with cheap double barrels he'd buy at an estate or yard sale, most were "skeet" or "cylinder" choked, until he splurged & bought himself an 1100. When we DID hunt without a dog, it seemed like nothing would flush until we got to the end of the field, then multiple birds would flush at the tail end of the field, usually headed toward the woods. Memories.....:hunter-smiley-face:

Your gun, your license, your hunt...use what makes you happy as long as it's ethical & legal.

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 3