Zeeks varmint hunting 2019/2020

2 hours ago, goosifer said:

Zeek, what tripod do you use? Does it just have a rest, or does it support the rifle at the butt and the middle?

The little mout attaches to my rifles rail. That slides into the tripod mount. Tripod is good for 30lbs. It was a cheaper setup than alot of tripod gun mounts out there.

Screenshot_20190127-095144_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20190127-095314_Samsung Internet.jpg

imagejpeg_0(4).jpg

Edited by Gencountyzeek
  • Like 3

I wish you weren't so far away, as we could do some hunting with thermal's.

Of course, Once you hunt with a thermal and see what your missing, you'd sell body parts to get one.

The pain isn't that bad and who needs two kidneys.

I live in the lower Hudson valley and don't get many shots past 100 yards.

I look forward to reading about a successful hunt while your out with your son, as I know most of the youth would rather be staring at their phone instead of being in the woods at night chasing coyote with their father. 

Good Job,

SJC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shoots100 said:

I wish you weren't so far away, as we could do some hunting with thermal's.

Of course, Once you hunt with a thermal and see what your missing, you'd sell body parts to get one.

The pain isn't that bad and who needs two kidneys.

I live in the lower Hudson valley and don't get many shots past 100 yards.

I look forward to reading about a successful hunt while your out with your son, as I know most of the youth would rather be staring at their phone instead of being in the woods at night chasing coyote with their father. 

Good Job,

SJC

Would LOVE a thermal but definitely not in the cards anytime soon. Crazy kid wanted to go sit in a tree with me this morning. We made it till 930, the rifle had a good layer of ice on it by then, and his toes were frozen. Love every moment we get to spend together hunting.

25 minutes ago, Shoots100 said:

If you can, You need to set up some pop up blinds and bait stations in the spot's you hunt.

We scout the roads for road kill and any scraps of meat we can.

Hit the butcher shops and supermarkets for scraps, worse they can say is no.

SJC

In my field i have 3 deer carcasses staked down.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Heading out tomorrow with a buddy and a friend of his. Trying some new property in the akron to Pendleton area. Been sick for the last 2 weeks so it will be good to get out again. Hopefully will have pics to post.

Good luck, dress warm and be safe. Looking forward to some nice pics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gencountyzeek said:

3 purposes, 1 its snow camo to break up the large black object, 2 on the stock it adds some needed texture to get better cheek weld. 3...it looks cool to me :rolleyes:

20190828_125448.jpg

Ok. If you’re hunting at night I guess it really doesn’t matter. But if you’re out during the day and there’s no snow do you Remove it? I’d assume that it would make you more visible. 

I have a predator set up but I’ve only gone out once or twice. But I’d like to get myself out this winter a little more so that’s why am asking a couple questions

1 hour ago, diplomat019 said:

Ok. If you’re hunting at night I guess it really doesn’t matter. But if you’re out during the day and there’s no snow do you Remove it? I’d assume that it would make you more visible. 

I have a predator set up but I’ve only gone out once or twice. But I’d like to get myself out this winter a little more so that’s why am asking a couple 

I put it on in later October so anticipating snow. Havent hunted during daylight hours so not worried to much about that. The stuff is like ace bandage material, it wont leave a residue.

• Like 1

Nothing dead. Only got 3 sets in and somehow went to bed at 4am...tried across the street from me first. Not a peep. Went over to a friends friends place in akron. Talked awhile then made our way out. Learned theres better ways to approach the fields then the way we took. Plenty of fresh tracks on the way in. Had one howling in the distance but wouldnt commit. Headed in and ended up talking for 40 minutes with the guy. Ill be headed back this week to meet up and hes showing me ALOT more propertys ill be able to hunt. So thats a win. 3rd set out in bennington, buddy running the call, he had one come in but stayed in the hardwoods and was barking at him. He barked back, this went on for awhile. Yote never showed his face. No kills, but gaining more propertys makes it a great night.

Congrats to moog on connecting last night!

Edited by Gencountyzeek
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Nothing dead. Only got 3 sets in and somehow went to bed at 4am...tried across the street from me first. Not a peep. Went over to a friends friends place in akron. Talked awhile then made our way out. Learned theres better ways to approach the fields then the way we took. Plenty of fresh tracks on the way in. Had one howling in the distance but wouldnt commit. Headed in and ended up talking for 40 minutes with the guy. Ill be headed back this week to meet up and hes showing me ALOT more propertys ill be able to hunt. So thats a win. 3rd set out in bennington, buddy running the call, he had one come in but stayed in the hardwoods and was barking at him. He barked back, this went on for awhile. Yote never showed his face. No kills, but gaing more propertys makes it a great night.

Congrats to moog on connecting last night!

4am is late but worth it for new land!

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Its like Christmas eve for me. WNY predator slam starts tomorrow. Cleaning camo, packing gear. Headed down to chataqua county tomorrow. Back up to hunt erie, genesee, and wyoming county saturday. Weigh in sunday.

Good luck and be safe.  

• Like 2