Zeeks varmint hunting 2019/2020

10 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

By that he means don’t stumble and fall into cow crap nor have dead slung coyote release urine all over you carrying it out 

The urine is not something to be avoided.  Easy to go home clean when you don’t kill anything!  Plus it’s great cover scent. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

The urine is not something to be avoided.  Easy to go home clean when you don’t kill anything!  Plus it’s great cover scent. 

The female yote i killed in November was "leaking" after her death...so i did what any smart hunter would do...wiped it up with my callers decoy, little attraction there i hope. Its been in a bag in my garage fridge since. Also picked up some trapper scent today from cabelas to help cover our stink.

• Like 2

Well friday night was a major bust...went down to ashville area in chatataqua county. Buddy kept tellin me about the great spots to hunt yotes and fox... We have very differant ideas what a great spot looks like. Small open areas dont give ya a chance to really play the wind. Then the weather on top of it, thick fog followed by steady mist mixed with more fog, then heavy rain followed by fog...if you have never hunted with light in heavy mist or fog ill just ssy its almost pointless. Visibility was for the most part 50 yards max. During some breaks a little better. My buddy also needs to learn to control himself better. When he thought he saw eyes, he very loudly whispered over and over again "eyes"!!! Do u see the eyes!!... turns out after i got onto were he was looking it was rain water reflecting his light... went to bed at 4am...Tonight! Tonight is the night. We have probably 12-14 spots to hit, weather is better, its a area im familiar with. Tonight varmints will die!

• Like 4

Well...i was wrong. A fox shouldve died. 1st set of the night was behind my house. Called in a red to my buddy at 50 yards, and for the second time this year a friend has forgot to chamber a round... 1 loud "CLICK" and off the fox goes. Next set nothin, 3rd set nothin, weather got crappy whiteout conditions. 4th set walking in bumped 2 yotes out of the field never to be seen again. 5th set nothin and called it because 1 buddy was sick and me and my other friend were pretty shot by 330am. But the weigh in makes everything all better. Talked to some great guys, learned some things and won a new night vision scope! Hell yea!

20200105_160422.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Went out solo last night for a quick night. 2nd set had a pack of yotes light up probably 200 yards into the woods. Tried my best with different calls/silence but they never came out. Had 4 fields in the area i could go to next, figured they would be hunting into the wind most likely. Went to a field 1/4 mile down the road and setup. 7 mins in they sounded off again. Maybe 100-150 yards into the woods. We went back and fourth for 5 mins. No one showed up. At about 30 min in a single yote howled a few hundred yards away to my left, then the pack lit up again infront of me. Just wouldnt come out of the woods. Fun night for no shots. Getting used to the night vision and new rifle.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Id like to add, if you want to try diaphram calls definitely give MFK a try. I was using foxpro before i got the mfk and the mfk are easier to get good sound out of and make good long howls.

Thats good to know. I tried Foxpro first.. hated them. Just gott some custom diaphragms this fall, made by TDP Custom Calls. He Sent them for free just to test them out!! 

• Like 1

Finally have everything that was needed for the new setup. 850nm ir bulb in the wicked light, added a more tatical bolt handle. The factory one was short and my fingers would hit the scope. New one is longer. Picatiny attachment point were the sl8ng stud was for the light. Got a clamp for the tripod so i can be standing at my sets and be hands free with the gun until needed. Hopefully going out for a few quick sets tonight. Weekend weather looks crappy so hope i find a dumb enough yote tonight.

20200123_141805.jpg

Edited by Gencountyzeek
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Belo said:

that sure is sexy. Curious why you'd rather be standing as apposed to sitting? 

Better field of view, easier to to got on them if they dont come from were i expect, and i dont have to carry a seat. As long as i can get some brush or trees behind me ill stand all the time.

Finally have everything that was needed for the new setup. 850nm ir bulb in the wicked light, added a more tatical bolt handle. The factory one was short and my fingers would hit the scope. New one is longer. Picatiny attachment point were the sl8ng stud was for the light. Got a clamp for the tripod so i can be standing at my sets and be hands free with the gun until needed. Hopefully going out for a few quick sets tonight. Weekend weather looks crappy so hope i find a dumb enough yote tonight.
20200123_141805.thumb.jpg.50c14e8fa33dce193480f97ebb096678.jpg
Please advise:

Tripod

Ball mount

Rifle clamp

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, TACC said:

Please advise:

Tripod

Ball mount

Rifle clamp

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ball head comes with the tripod. You will have to get a arca swiss like the one pictured. It attaches to the clamp which then fits on the tripod. Ive used that tripod for 2 years now no complaints. 

Screenshot_20190127-095144_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200124-084748_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200124-084941_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 2

Well no shots again tonight. It was a fun one though. 2 nd set i could hear yotes in the distance in the direction of a field i have permission to hunt about 3/4 mile away. Setup there and start calling. 10 minutes in i catch eyes at the very back of one of the 2 fields im watching. I watch a yote in my scope for maybe 5 seconds, its out there around 400 yards. Im hoping i can convince it to come in. After it slips into the woods a minute later they all sound off. For the next 60 minutes we go back and fourth yipping, howling, and barking at each other. I slowly slipped down the field till i was about 200 yards out from the woods. It was crazy, i definitely pissed one of them off as you could here he/she broke away from the rest to bark and howl at me. I was so sure i would get a shot but it wouldnt leave the woods. I was at that set for 85 minutes, usually 45 minutes is a long set. I tried recording thier sounds, will check today how it sounds. Maybe i can figure out how to post a video in here. Pic of were i was setup initially and were i saw the yote. They were back in those woods.

Screenshot_20200124-090127.jpg

Edited by Gencountyzeek
  • Like 5

I was thinking about a caldwell bipod as I can't justify the price of the Harris, but not sure yes if that's the route to go for sitting, or if I should go with a more flexible option like a trigger stick. I currently have a red head shooting stick, but it only adjusts from the bottom and isn't great for quick adjustments.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TADJ1Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

I was thinking about a caldwell bipod as I can't justify the price of the Harris, but not sure yes if that's the route to go for sitting, or if I should go with a more flexible option like a trigger stick. I currently have a red head shooting stick, but it only adjusts from the bottom and isn't great for quick adjustments.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TADJ1Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I have that bipod. I used it and have killed yotes and fox from it. For the price its not bad.

IME, when they bark, you either fire back challenge calls or go silent and hope they come to sniff out who was on their turf....

What sequences were you using ?

Edit. I am by no means trying to say you did the wrong or right thing, just noting that a barking yote is always a challenge, literally.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Belo said:

Just my opinion, but its so much easier to have a tripod that will hold the gun hands free while you scan.  The trigger stick tripod will do that if you run a gear tie through it and secure the gun.  Or try the bog pod for a few $ more.  I would not like hunting with a bipod.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Just my opinion, but its so much easier to have a tripod that will hold the gun hands free while you scan.  The trigger stick tripod will do that if you run a gear tie through it and secure the gun.  Or try the bog pod for a few $ more.  I would not like hunting with a bipod.

good insight thatnks. I'm planning on going out tonight and I will probably come back with a better feel before I spend any money. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Belo said:

good insight thatnks. I'm planning on going out tonight and I will probably come back with a better feel before I spend any money. 

I think our movement causes dogs to hang up at night more than we know.  The less the better and a hands free tripod helps.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

IME, when they bark, you either fire back challenge calls or go silent and hope they come to sniff out who was on their turf....

What sequences were you using ?

Edit. I am by no means trying to say you did the wrong or right thing, just noting that a barking yote is always a challenge, literally.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I was barking , and howling back at them for almost an hour. I know its them challenging whatever is out there. Sunday night i tried the silent treatment and it didnt work. So last night i was trying to piss them off enough to come fight. One definitely seperated from the pack and it was me vs that one back and fourth. Between the back and fourth i played pup distress, female challenge howls, barks. Mainly it was me and the mfk diaphram barking and howling.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Belo said:

Good luck out there Belo!  The Primo's Triggerstick Tri Pod is worth every penny. 

3 minutes ago, grampy said:

Good luck out there Belo!  The Primo's Triggerstick Tri Pod is worth every penny. 

there's a lot of mixed reviews. I've always wanted one but just can't swallow the  price. I guess I also dont see a huge advantage to that 3rd leg, seems like it would just get in the way.

sorry to threadjack! haha