Zeeks varmint hunting 2019/2020

Well its official, im done with the ATN. Went out last night with my buddy that has the sightmark wraith nv. Only did 2 sets. First one had a yote bark right away. Had a fox barking, it was goin to be a great night. After about 20 minutes i let out some barks and howls on my diaphragm call, then turned on pup distress. Had eyes after a minute show up and it started running in. Got th he scope on the yote as it was charging into the call, it slowed up and stopped at about 150 yards. Settled the crosshairs on his shoulder and squeezed off the shot... the scope turns off!!!!!! Then my buddy rips off 2 shots as the yote runs away. At that point i almost threw my rifle across the field, but its not the rifles fault its the fu#king scope!!! I dont want to sound arrogant but i never miss like this. With my grendel ive taken yotes and fox out to 225 yards at night. Only yote i ever missed with it was hauling ass across a field after my buddy missed it. This yote was standing still at maybe 150 yards. I was recording so i wanted to see were the crosshairs were when i shot. But ofcourse when it shut down for no reason it didnt save the video... my buddy had the video on his wraith though. My shot appeared to be high left, it was slight quartering towards when i shot. His 2 shots were way behind. Next spot was in akron, i told him hes shooting im his guide. First minute i had yotes goin across the street, 2 minutes later i have another group goin down the road. 15 minutes in we have eyes on a large brushy dirt mound 200 yards out. Couldnt get it to come down off it, but after maybe 10 mins eyes pop out maybe 100 yards in front of us, fox. He shoots... and misses. He looks at the video and cant see how he missed. Hes shooting a ar off a tripod, very solid. Sooooo, im selling the atn buying a normal scope and going back to red lights. Cant afford thermal or really good night vision at this time. I, and this scope have missed a 2 yotes, and a fox this year. Done!!!!

• Sad 3

On 2/15/2020 at 9:24 AM, Gencountyzeek said:

Well its official, im done with the ATN. Went out last night with my buddy that has the sightmark wraith nv. Only did 2 sets. First one had a yote bark right away. Had a fox barking, it was goin to be a great night. After about 20 minutes i let out some barks and howls on my diaphragm call, then turned on pup distress. Had eyes after a minute show up and it started running in. Got th he scope on the yote as it was charging into the call, it slowed up and stopped at about 150 yards. Settled the crosshairs on his shoulder and squeezed off the shot... the scope turns off!!!!!! Then my buddy rips off 2 shots as the yote runs away. At that point i almost threw my rifle across the field, but its not the rifles fault its the fu#king scope!!! I dont want to sound arrogant but i never miss like this. With my grendel ive taken yotes and fox out to 225 yards at night. Only yote i ever missed with it was hauling ass across a field after my buddy missed it. This yote was standing still at maybe 150 yards. I was recording so i wanted to see were the crosshairs were when i shot. But ofcourse when it shut down for no reason it didnt save the video... my buddy had the video on his wraith though. My shot appeared to be high left, it was slight quartering towards when i shot. His 2 shots were way behind. Next spot was in akron, i told him hes shooting im his guide. First minute i had yotes goin across the street, 2 minutes later i have another group goin down the road. 15 minutes in we have eyes on a large brushy dirt mound 200 yards out. Couldnt get it to come down off it, but after maybe 10 mins eyes pop out maybe 100 yards in front of us, fox. He shoots... and misses. He looks at the video and cant see how he missed. Hes shooting a ar off a tripod, very solid. Sooooo, im selling the atn buying a normal scope and going back to red lights. Cant afford thermal or really good night vision at this time. I, and this scope have missed a 2 yotes, and a fox this year. Done!!!!

Damn man, Sorry to hear all of this. I know how frustrating that can be, for the most part.

I know when i shot and sighted in my wraith on my AR, from a bench with sandbags it shot great. I switched to the tripod and stretched it out almost max and then shot again.. very steady and at 75 yards i was 2in left and an 1.5in low.. made adjustments on my scope and off i went.. tested it again the following week and it was dead on still. I know a guy who has had horrible experience with the THOR therm and missed over a dozen dogs this year.. chip shots.. he blamed the scope coming off zero.. not sure what happened but he hasnt missed the last couple times hes gone out..   

16 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Damn man, Sorry to hear all of this. I know how frustrating that can be, for the most part.

I know when i shot and sighted in my wraith on my AR, from a bench with sandbags it shot great. I switched to the tripod and stretched it out almost max and then shot again.. very steady and at 75 yards i was 2in left and an 1.5in low.. made adjustments on my scope and off i went.. tested it again the following week and it was dead on still. I know a guy who has had horrible experience with the THOR therm and missed over a dozen dogs this year.. chip shots.. he blamed the scope coming off zero.. not sure what happened but he hasnt missed the last couple times hes gone out..   

New conventional scope came in yesterday. Nikon black fx1000 4-16×50, mrad illuminated reticle. I know they are getting out of the scope game but for $365 its a hell of a scope for that price. Just waiting on the red led for my SHL coyote cannon.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

New conventional scope came in yesterday. Nikon black fx1000 4-16×50, mrad illuminated reticle. I know they are getting out of the scope game but for $365 its a hell of a scope for that price. Just waiting on the red led for my SHL coyote cannon.

I doubt you will have any problems with your optics now! Seen some great deals on those scopes. Very tempting. Ive always wanted to look through that scope and compare it to my Athlon Midas BTR 2.5-15x50. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Nikon is getting out of the scope game?

It's too bad that your first foray into night vision was with an ATN product.

I was hoping your scope would be an anomaly, but ATN's track record has been worse than a crap shoot.

Hopefully you'll try again at a later date, with a NV scope that has a better track record.

I have four friends with Wraith scopes and all of them are killing animals.

Practice makes perfect and they all have put hours in shooting their rifles at night to mitigate their misses.

Now go out there and put that Nikon to use.

SJC 

• Like 2

Huh, I wonder what the deal is. Ive had good luck with my ATN so far.

Well when it rains it pours...the nikon was a illuminated reticle...that wouldnt illuminate. So it has been sent back. Trying to figure out a scope i want to try now. Any suggestions? Has to be 30mm tube already have the warne mounts on the gun. Would like atleast 44mil objective lens preferably 50. Would like a light up reticle. Under $500.

Went out last night for 2 sets. Wind was blowin like crazy. Strong enough it knocked the call over at the first set. Nothing there. Next walking into the field just crest a hill and 175 yards out a yote is lookin at us...he gone! Tried there for 45 minutes but nothin was hungry or horny.

• Like 1

Well when it rains it pours...the nikon was a illuminated reticle...that wouldnt illuminate. So it has been sent back. Trying to figure out a scope i want to try now. Any suggestions? Has to be 30mm tube already have the warne mounts on the gun. Would like atleast 44mil objective lens preferably 50. Would like a light up reticle. Under $500.
Went out last night for 2 sets. Wind was blowin like crazy. Strong enough it knocked the call over at the first set. Nothing there. Next walking into the field just crest a hill and 175 yards out a yote is lookin at us...he gone! Tried there for 45 minutes but nothin was hungry or horny.
Yes, please buy a Vortex PST Gen 2

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, TACC said:

Yes, please buy a Vortex PST Gen 2

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Think u missed the under $500 part lol. Plus i kinda want to get away from busy reticle. Most shots will be 200 or less, so no holdover needed. Even at 300 yards its just over yotes back for vital hit. I like my nikon but thinner crosshairs, dont need zero stop or locking turrets. This is strictly a varmint gun. I want good glass, slightly heavier crosshairs so its easier to find on the yote in the dark. Looking at a leupold vx-r 4-12×50 at the moment. Had a 4-12×40 and it was great.

• Like 1

Vortex hog hunters love mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 2:11 PM, Gencountyzeek said:

Highly suggest Athlon Midas line.. you can check mine out if youd like. Built very well. Turrets are nice. Huge eye relief

Super clear glass, the magnification is perfect for coyotes.. 30mm w 2.5-15x50mm .. illuminated reticle

565576540.jpg

565576509.jpg

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 2:32 PM, Gencountyzeek said:

Think u missed the under $500 part lol. Plus i kinda want to get away from busy reticle. Most shots will be 200 or less, so no holdover needed. Even at 300 yards its just over yotes back for vital hit. I like my nikon but thinner crosshairs, dont need zero stop or locking turrets. This is strictly a varmint gun. I want good glass, slightly heavier crosshairs so its easier to find on the yote in the dark. Looking at a leupold vx-r 4-12×50 at the moment. Had a 4-12×40 and it was great.

the VX-R is awesome but honestly I think the Hog Hunter is the best value.  Only downside is that its heavy but with a light, the rig will be heavy anyways.  30mm with 56mm obj.  Good clarity and a nice red single dot aiming point.  Works well with red kill light surprisingly too.

• Like 2