Spruce Lake (Arrieta) four day hunt

corydd7

I didn't want to hijack Dirtimes thread so I will start my own. First I welcome any input, suggestions or corcerns pertaining to this hunt. I grew up as a kid in Alaska as a young child hunting bear and caribou, when I hunted NY as a teenager I always missed hunting big woods. I'm 34 now and a year ago my buddy and I decided we wanted to rough it and do a 4 or 5 day deep woods hunt staying in a state lean to or tent. He is active duty in Georgia and I'm a busy bee with work so we knew we would be going in with no actual scouting except for maps and reading whatever we could about the area.

We have both done this before but not in coldish weather (30s at night 40-50 during days). We have been on top of everything we could but I definitely have that good nervous feeling now that we are eleven days away. We understand low deer population and a low chance of success but to be honest it is the experience we are both looking forward to. 

Of course we are looking at freezing rain (firewood will be a challenge) the entire hunt as of todays forcast, so rain gear will add some extra weight in our packs. Anyways I won't have service during the hunt but I will post pictures of our campsite and hopefully a harvest of a mature buck or bear. He has a marsh filled with pines in mind and I will be targeting a saddle about 300 feet in elevation above him. Of course we will follow sign but we do have an original plan. 

Of course life always throws you a curve and my wife and I bought a house and will be moving in right after the hunt so I will have a busy few weeks. 

• Like 3

My first question is what are you doing for shelter?

I am assuming you have maps, at least one compass, axes, a good folding saw, spare batteries for lamps etc. ( batteries burn out faster in the cold ), and good comfortable boots for trekking long distances.

WOOL! Seriously, I think people make fun of me when I say that, but good wool will keeep you warm even when it's wet. It retains heat.

• Like 1

State Lean-to, there are 3 on the lake. Everything else you listed we have. Mountain house meals, protien bars, rocket stove, water purification cup, wool clothes, compass, headlamps, flashlight xtra batteries. Below is my list and other important stuff like tp i didn't list.

Screenshot_2019-10-16-16-27-29.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Nose medicine........how's Peruvian flake going to help out there?^_^

29 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

State Lean-to, there are 3 on the lake. Everything else you listed we have. Mountain house meals, protien bars, rocket stove, water purification cup, wool clothes, compass, headlamps, flashlight xtra batteries. Below is my list and other important stuff like tp i didn't list.

If you need some serious stuff from Bolivia, I know a guy. You don't want rusty pipes (nose bleeds) in the ADK's. It makes for bad hero pics.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

You must have a scary black rifle that strikes fear into hearts if you're not taking ammo. Just kidding.

I would still be taking a small folding saw with me personally. Never knew how effective they really are until I bought one last Spring.

Be careful in marshy areas in below freezing temps. Ice is never your friend.

Sounds like you have it covered. Best of luck out there on your hunt. Looking forward to seeing the pics of your camp set up and hopefully a dead deer or two.

• Like 1

I know that area and it reminds me of the Little Susitna River area south of Lake Nancy .

Good rain gear (you know that only too well from being an Alaskan), insulated rubber boots (that added bulk and weight will be forgotten when you walk a swamp or have to wade across shallow water), GPS (with extra batteries) and a good compass with declination set correctly. 

A map is must, but due to the heavy hardwood canopy and somewhat flat land I rely more on the GPS with my compass set (do this ASAP) with my reverse bearing to head me back to camp/vehicle in case I lose satellite contact.

Yes, cell phone service is not available, BUT bring a good walkie talkie for you and your friend.  Not only will you be able to communicate with each other, but if you get into real trouble you can SOS message with the HOPE some CB person is out there.  Only other choice is a satellite radio.

• 3 weeks later...