blackbeltbill

Hunter BLASTS Wild Turkey Out Of The Air!- Major Celebration.

Recommended Posts

I just watched this real quick. Nice Wingshot there. After that major celebration- all other Turkeys will now be super wary and Educated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice shot but what a waste of a bird. He center punched it the breasts. Turkeys are designed to be shot in the head

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nice shot but what a waste of a bird. He center punched it the breasts. Turkeys are designed to be shot in the head

With a gun.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Nice shot but what a waste of a bird. He center punched it the breasts. Turkeys are designed to be shot in the head

All respect- but do not totally agree with you. Turkeys can be shot in the air just like a Pheasant if a shot presents itself. The Hunter seemed very happy with his Turkey there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Those 2 really put a hunt together! 

Amen......a couple of real experts.  Who else could pull that feat off?

And the topper is they dumped them on the woods road.  Outstanding...........


Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smh, not a recommend or preferred shot. Wing shooting turkey in general is not a good idea, many birds are crippled and lost..

  • Like 1

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Amen......a couple of real experts.  Who else could pull that feat off?

And the topper is they dumped them on the woods road.  Outstanding...........

Larry- That might be that Young Man's very 1st Turkey. And that could very well be their Private Land.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, G-Man said:

Smh, not a recommend or preferred shot. Wing shooting turkey in general is not a good idea, many birds are crippled and lost..

I strongly disagree. If a hunter is a very good wingshot- a Turkey is easy pickings. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

I strongly disagree. If a hunter is a very good wingshot- a Turkey is easy pickings. 

With what left as edible ? Xfull choke at 10-15 yards in chest. Wasteful. I purposefully pattern my gun to have bottom of pattern at waddle and no lower. That’s 7 yards. Double that distance and pattern twice as big. Kiss any edible meat goodbye. 

D49F1D5A-42EE-4431-9A65-6A023D80C3B7.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I   would not encourage Joe Blow average hunter, who may not be  a good wingshot, to take flying shots at an un wounded turkey...However, I agree with Bill, that if you are a good wingshot, flying turkeys are  a pretty easy target...Over the last 50 years or so, I have had  a few situations  when I  shot at flying turkeys and I  have found them pretty easy to kill, perhaps because with their wings extended, not only the head and neck are exposed,  but with those big armored wings extended, the internal organs are vulnerable  too...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With a gun.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


With a .22mag while perched in the tree


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

"The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

With what left as edible ? Xfull choke at 10-15 yards in chest. Wasteful. I purposefully pattern my gun to have bottom of pattern at waddle and no lower. That’s 7 yards. Double that distance and pattern twice as big. Kiss any edible meat goodbye. 

D49F1D5A-42EE-4431-9A65-6A023D80C3B7.jpeg

Jay- you sent me that pic in early May.  Turkey hunting was traditionaly done in the Fall. There was no Spring Hunting. And Wingshots were the norm . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

I strongly disagree. If a hunter is a very good wingshot- a Turkey is easy pickings. 

You just confirmed what I said "unless the hunter is a very good wingshot" I have friends that have been on national shooting sports magazine cover  for 299 of 300 Clay's and they would still agree with me wing shooting turkey is not preferred. 


I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I   would not encourage Joe Blow average hunter, who may not be  a good wingshot, to take flying shots at an un wounded turkey...However, I agree with Bill, that if you are a good wingshot, flying turkeys are  a pretty easy target...Over the last 50 years or so, I have had  a few situations  when I  shot at flying turkeys and I  have found them pretty easy to kill, perhaps because with their wings extended, not only the head and neck are exposed,  but with those big armored wings extended, the internal organs are vulnerable  too...

Dan is right. For me Today-- I want to call my Bird in. But if a easy Flying shot presents itself, I will take it.  I think alot of members replying here would find the book-- The American Wild Turkey quite interesting. Written by Henry Edwards Davis. Jim Casada calls that book the most important book on Turkey Hunting. Reprints are 100 bucks. Davis only Hunted in the Fall+ Winter. Plenty of Wingshots in that book along with-- yes-- rolling them off the Roost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pond swatting ducks also legal but who does that?! As is limb shooting legal daylight turkeys. Again , not my cup of tea 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, G-Man said:

You just confirmed what I said "unless the hunter is a very good wingshot" I have friends that have been on national shooting sports magazine cover  for 299 of 300 Clay's and they would still agree with me wing shooting turkey is not preferred. 

I myself have also won a Registered 12 Gauge Doubles competition in April of 1994.  Each hunter makes their own decision. Continue this tomorrow probably.. . Out for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've shot several turkeys over the yrs on the wing. Some were a follow-up shot that I messed up on the first shot. Would not have tagged those birds if I didn't take a wing shot. Some were fall hunts that I didn't want to take a shot if they were not on the ground. I would purposely flush the flock and take one on the wing instead of a easy standing on the ground shot.

There's no difference in that then choosing to bow hunt because it's more of a challenge. 

Calling someone out for a wing shot on a flying turkey is plain out wrong.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, mowin said:

 

Calling someone out for a wing shot on a flying turkey is plain out wrong.  

Follow up shot on possible wounded bird sure. To body shoot a bird with an extra tight choke wasting said bird nope. My opinion and don’t want to kill one that bad. I respect what I’m shooting at.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Pond swatting ducks also legal but who does that?! As is limb shooting legal daylight turkeys. Again , not my cup of tea 

Not mine either, Jay....I never shot an unwounded duck or goose on the water, or an upland bird on the ground,  except for turkeys...I also never roost boosted a turkey,  but I don't get my panties in a wad if the next guy wants to do it...

I have shot a number of fall birds on the wing, mostly at ranges of 30 to 45 yards , and they weren't shot up too bad and I don't remember ever losing one...I have also killed a few gobblers on the wing,  all follow up shots, except one that got in too close and busted me  and flushed... I never lost one of those either, but I have lost a few that I shot at and hit on the ground..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The majority of Members + Guests reading this Thread probably are Spring only Gobbler Hunters. It is a whole different ballgame when chasing Fall Turkeys . Shooting a Fall Turkey in the Air is just 1 option. Depending on a Turkey Hunters experience and what happens on that particular day with a encountered Flock- a Wingshot might happen. It is an option that Hunter has if he chooses to take it. As, I have already wrote, I want to call up my Turkeys-- be they Scattered or not. But if a Nice 30 yard Flying shot presents itself, I am going for it . Often times these Flocks are not easy to find. A Hunter on Public Lands may spend his whole short 2 week Season and see nothing.  Alot of newer Spring Turkey Hunters have no idea that the Sports roots lie in the Fall+ Winter. There was no Spring Turkey Hunting . Members + Guests can check out my 2 Fall Turkey Videos that, I uploaded to the Turkey Forum and watch what calls, I use in the Fall. Quite different from the Spring. So calling is my 1st option. For another Fall Hunter- his 1st option might be a Wingshot.  I think we should all respect the different ways each of us chooses to Hunt . 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.