Anybody hunting DUCKS tomorrow ?

Pygmy

Tomorrow is the  local duck opener ( as well as pheasant and fall turkey)...

I plan to be on a straight stretch on the local river hoping for some pass shooting at ducks...The spot CAN be good for woodies and the occasional mallard or black, but in the past few years I have seen mostly mergansers..I generally give them a pass because they taste like s**t,  but his year I  plan to whack a couple  to use for bait at my bobcat sets...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I was considering going sunday morning, but my spot on the river is blown out with the rain from wednsday. I wont be going till it goes back down to normal 

We got less than an inch of rain here in Dogpatch, and it did not affect the river level much...

• Like 1

Im ready and raring to go. Im squirming around like crazy at work. Cant wait to leave. My spot has nothing to do with rain so Im good. This early in the season I usually see mallards, some divers, an occasional black. Blacks all over late season. Me and my lab tomorrow and maybe the Mrs will join. She asked this morning what time Ill get up.

Tonight when I put all the gear out and check the decoys, my lab will start to go bonkers. Sleep tonight will be difficult because if I move slightly she will wake me up (with lots of energy) and ask if its time to go yet. 

• Like 1

Way to go, Jay....And you got some GOOD ducks....Unfortunately I won't be straying far from home for awhile...The Mermaid  just spent 5 days in the hospital..She's doing OK now, but is on light duty ( including no driving) for at least a month, so I don't dare leave her more than a couple of hours...

3 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Way to go, Jay....And you got some GOOD ducks....Unfortunately I won't be straying far from home for awhile...The Mermaid  just spent 5 days in the hospital..She's doing OK now, but is on light duty ( including no driving) for at least a month, so I don't dare leave her more than a couple of hours...

Sorry to hear that best wishes sent your way 

• Thanks 1

Over the last 40 years I have had several places like that, but like all good things, they don't last forever....

It has been a number of years since I had a place where I could count on shooting a limit of ducks, even the first few days...

I am in a marginal area of the flyway...All of my former hotspots are either no longer good habitat, or are no longer available for me to hunt...

22 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Over the last 40 years I have had several places like that, but like all good things, they don't last forever....

It has been a number of years since I had a place where I could count on shooting a limit of ducks, even the first few days...

I am in a marginal area of the flyway...All of my former hotspots are either no longer good habitat, or are no longer available for me to hunt...

The thing about hot spots especially public land is they don’t remain your honey hole for long 

Edited by sodfather

The thing about hot spots especially public land is they don’t remain your honey hole for long 
It's all private land but we realize how good it is and we may not have it forever. So for now we'll keep piling up ducks every opener!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1