Brand New, Don't Know Anyone

beeflomein

Hi all,

I'm from the city and brand new to hunting and these forums.  I've read a few of the other posts regarding newbie hunters and there's some great info there. 

I've got a 308 i got a good deal on so I'm in on rifle. I know a lot of people suggest going with archery or shotgun since the areas closer to me are zoned for those, but this is what I've got. I was wondering if there were recommendations on shooting ranges to practice my marksmanship that are closer to the city than the ones in Brookhaven and Calverton.

Also I know a few people that have hunted, but none of them have been active hunters in years so I haven't had any luck hitting them up for mentorship.  I have no problem with paying a guide and learning from them, but I'm struggling to settle on one and would welcome any recommendations as reviews are kinda scattered.

Any info anyone can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, crappyice said:

Lookie who he has listed under “resources”

61874e135d737924adb2c1aef5295956.jpg

Pretty cool concept this guy has going. Does his services require any licensing if he is guiding on public lands?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't wanna hijack the thread, but in short, I'm pretty sure it requires licensing the minute he wants to accept money for services.  Heard him on a podcast.

2 hours ago, Hunter007 said:

Welcome !!

Ranges near you,  just do a   Google  search  they should all come up what ever is near you .

Thanks, I've been getting a lot of places locally that don't allow rifles larger than 22s so I figured I'd ask to cut through some of the noise on google.

2 hours ago, Rebel Darling said:

Welcome, welcome!

Check this fella out, if you're serious about guided mentorship:

https://www.learntohuntnyc.com

Thanks I'll definitely check that out. 

• Like 1

Blue Mountain Sportsman Center is awesome. 50 minutes from 96th Street. They have 50, 100 & 200 yard ranges. Give ya some advice - learn archery, Bow is where it’s at - you get out earlier, better weather, deer aren’t spooked & requires skill. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum and hunting.  Several hunters from MYC including myself.  Blue Mountain and Calverton are your two best bets depending on where abouts in NYC you live.  I haven't been to Brookhaven but I'm told Calverton is much better.