Live from the blind

Al Bundy

It was raining here this morning so my son and I decided to give the bowhunting a break and try for some ducks. My son invited one of his coworkers along. The 3 of us limited out on mallards and the ducks were still coming in when we were packing up. In the picture is my son on the right and his buddy with their limit each of a drake and hen mallard.              valoroutdoors.com 

123_1.jpg

• Like 6

Tagged out on my buck tag a month ago, finally got windy enough on the lake today to take the kids out.  Just me in the blind with a license so two mallards in a short time and I was done already.  I really miss the 4 mallard limit already as I could have had a few more, and to be honest 3-4 birds is just enough breasts to feed the family one meal.  Same two ducks, my youngest (7) and my oldest (10) just taking turns for a picture.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Live from work.  I forgot my phone Saturday morning but I was out.  Had a crew of 4 first year hunters with me.  Ducks flew fairly well but somewhat early.  3-4 different flocks gave varying opportunities for the shooters.  Got a bit of a late start otherwise would have had more shooting.  One green head down but I had a long long paddle to retrieve as it was winged. Finally got it though.  It tried hard to dive when we finally caught up to it. Shooters were happy and a good morning was had by all. Best part the young huntress who only had a 12 gauge shot the Mrs's 20 gauge auto with 3 inch steel (after we finished hunting she shot it). After the shots, a smile cracked on her face as she said she could easily shoot that 20. The 12 POUNDED her shoulder and made her grimace just thinking about shooting it.  Next for her is to shoot a 16 gauge.  Hopefully that will work. If not, a 20 will.  I booked out of hunting camp Saturday evening ahead of the holiday traffic and storm. Back in a few weeks. 

• 2 weeks later...

Semi live. I forgot my phone again. A few birds flying, and lots of birds in sight not flying.  Next gen hunters all got shooting. It obvious all of us need range time as nothing splashed. I’m also Still getting  dialed in with this  benelli. Shots were on the max range though today and nothing I would consider good shooting. The young lady did pretty good, pulling the trigger once on the Remington 11-87 .  She wants to shoot and is a bit timid but we are getting there.  Great morning had by all. 

• Like 1

Mallards to the left of me....

blacks to the right of me....

report and guns thundering...

I peppered them with my shots and shells

still over six hundred flew!

facing 3 1/2 in shells they flew!

into what should have been hell.

instead  not a damn duck fell.

Great morning but what a sucky morning as well. I shot about every shell I had and made so many holes in the sky. Lots of birds in the air. . I didn’t connect with a single one. I clearly don’t have the hang of this benelli. I was on the birds most shots. Lined up took my time and kept expecting something to fall. On at least a few shots I saw the bbs fall and appeared I was right on with the pattern. Wtf wtf wtf.. I swear my lab was laughing at me. Good times but really not acceptable. I do know this gun shoots high and I been working on shooting a bit low. 

My season for ducks really picks up late season so I have to get better. I might go with my old gun til I get this sbe3  dialed in at the range.  

• Like 2

Al, the Benelli SBE's do in fact shoot high and Benelli designed them to be this way. Their philosophy is to use a 6 o'clock hold on your target which is foreign to us and almost impossible to use on a fast flying duck. Many hunters have complained about this to Benelli. There is a simple fix that Benelli recommends to lower your shot pattern. Replace the front sight with a large bead fiber optic sight like those made by Truglo or HI Viz. These can be attached directly behind the front sight without removing it, and attach either by magnet or tape to the vent rib.  My son shoots a SBE 2 with a Truglo large fiber optic bead front sight and his gun shoots patterns to point of aim. He uses this gun strictly for waterfowl, and has made some good shots. The fiber optic bead will help you keep your head down on the barreI to improve your shooting. I hope this helps you out. Good luck.            valoroutdoors.com 

• Like 1