Deer Scents and Lures

Rack Em Up

Hey All,

As archery season is well underway and November is fast approaching, I was curious to see what scents/lures work for y'all. For years I used to work the traditional Tinks and other store brought products, until 3 years ago I came across this "local"(Owner makes the lures out of his home in NJ) brand, Signal 11 Lures. I by no means am sponsored or paid by the company to write this post, but rather share my new found success and insights. As you all know hunting in NY is not like the TV shows, but ever since utilizing Signal 11 lures "Scrape Nuggets" and urine scents the amount of action I get afield rivals some of the pros on TV! I typically take a white sock, spray it in deer urine and use it as a drag line attached to my boot. When I get to my spot, I tie the sock at waist high to resemble a whitetails tail (make sure its not directly infant of you so that someone doesn't shoot in your direction!) and let nature take its course. 

So what brands and scents do y'all use and how do you use them? 

37 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

The best scent i ever used was my own urine. I gave up on using scents for deer as ive never had them work while hunting. Only thing that ever worked was peeing in scrapes. That works like a charm for me

When I pee in a scrape, it gives the resident bucks the impression that a stinky, old, not in the best health, over the hill buck has visited. And their impression would be correct!!!!  :yes:

• Like 7

I use the regular evercalm (black and yellow) as a cover scent and never had an issue with deer getting spooky. Just yesterday i had a doe walking on the trail i walked with Evercalm on my boots.

Few years back i also had a ground blind experience I will never forget. Sprayed a ton of buck bomb(red can) outside if a ground blind i just set up. Monster buck came in sniffing the air like crazy and almost walked right in my blind. I drew back at like 6 yards from the ground and shot through the fat of his backstraps i guess and never saw that deer again.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2019 at 11:00 AM, grampy said:

When I pee in a scrape, it gives the resident bucks the impression that a stinky, old, not in the best health, over the hill buck has visited. And their impression would be correct!!!!  :yes:

You forgot to mention what flavor scent your pee is... Maxwell House, Mocha Frappuccino, Cranberry juice, Jack Daniels, Pabst, ... Assuming it might make a difference? :derisive:

7 hours ago, nybuckboy said:

Deer Dander for me as a cover scent. Had does follow me to my stand. Never had it spook a deer. 

^^ this ^^

We have had great results with deer dander. Tried ever calm for a few seasons and it didn’t seem to work as well. 

I will say the evercalm does work I had died and fawns basically licking it off a rock yesterday. I may try and find a licking branch and some dirt from a real scrape 60 miles away and see what happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2