Looking for a "new to me" quad $3K-$3.5K

Looking for an ATV/4 Wheeler - Must have AWD or 4 Wheel Drive capabilities, 400+ or higher engine, Low hours/mileage, garage kept, excellent shape-No issues or extremely minor Issues, Title in hand. If you are looking to trade yours in-check with me first - I can probably offer more than a dealer would give you according to KBB/NADA values. Send me your info/pics on what you have, your craigslist link, ebay link, or other sales source for me to review. Purchasing Info I'm looking for is as follows: Thanks

Make:
Year:
Model:
Engine Size:
Mileage:
Hours:
How it was used i.e. hunting, farm work, trail riding, plowing, etc.
condition:
color:
accessories:
Other Info:
Your Bottom Line $:

Can't believe I'm going to actually say this... Might be better off checking out a reputable rec vehicle dealers used inventory! Ouch, I said it!! May have ck'ed out their used ATVs already, possibly offer some limited warranty or stand behind their sales. We all know dealing with a private seller can have some issues like un-disclosed issues that the buyer won't uncover until after the sale. Then it's Tough $hit!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bolt action said:

@Engraver99 Not sure where you are or how far you'd be willing to go to pick it up, but saw this on CL and thought you might be interested. I'm in the market for one also, but don't have the cash right now. Passing it along ..

https://rochester.craigslist.org/snw/d/rochester-polaris-sportsman/7004545180.html

Tough to tell without looking in person but that looks like a nice clean well maintained used quad for the money. 

Maybe it's just me, but I'd had a tuff time paying that much for a 15 yr old wheeler.  

I was in the same situation this spring.  Looked at a dozens of used ATVs, both private and dealer.

Ended up buying new during Polaris spring deal. Paid less for a new sportsman 570 then most decent used were selling for.  If I remember correctly, Polaris had $1250 off, and dealer took $500.   

Quad was $6200 - $1750 = $4450. Add the freight and prep, think it was $750,  total was $5200.  I purchased it in MA, and I only use it on my property, so I had no tax as I do not plan to register it even though king Andy says I have to.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mowin said:

Maybe it's just me, but I'd had a tuff time paying that much for a 15 yr old wheeler.  

I was in the same situation this spring.  Looked at a dozens of used ATVs, both private and dealer.

Ended up buying new during Polaris spring deal. Paid less for a new sportsman 570 then most decent used were selling for.  If I remember correctly, Polaris had $1250 off, and dealer took $500.   

Quad was $6200 - $1750 = $4450. Add the freight and prep, think it was $750,  total was $5200.  I purchased it in MA, and I only use it on my property, so I had no tax as I do not plan to register it even though king Andy says I have to.   

I guess I look at things differently. You paid $5200 and yes it is brand new but that is more than double the price of that used quad that only has 1300 miles on it. It all depends what it looks like in person as well but if a 15 year old 4 wheeler spend most of its time in the garage who cares that it is 15 years old. 

I have a 07 Brute Force 750 that I bought cheap. Its plastic was banged up and I have made it ten times worse since I bought it. My buddy just bought a new Polaris 850 for 10K. It is beautiful and I rode it and it is pretty awesome. The power steering is really nice and something I will look for if I ever get a new quad. But is it worth 4 times what mine is worth? Not to me....Not to mention I am not afraid to use mine like a bulldozer and he was leaving his and walking when we were changing stands. 

A 15 yr old ATV with 1300 miles can have a lot of issues quickly. Seals dry and start leaking, axle boots, Carb issue ect.  

To each their own. I use my ATV. It doesn't sit at the trail because I might scratch it.  

Double the price for new over a 15yr old ATV seems like a no brainier to me. But if someone only has $2500 to spend, I get it. 

Atvs are cheap to work on and fix. I'd have no issue buying an older wheeler for 2k. Run it for a few years and sell it for what you paid. (On some). I'd be more likely to spend 2k or so on a 05 or so than 3500 on a 2012-15. If you aren't looking for strictly high performance or a certain machine there's tons of used atvs for decent prices. That said now it the time slot of the 4x4 bring the most money of the year. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BigVal said:

Atvs are cheap to work on and fix. 

That said now it the time slot of the 4x4 bring the most money of the year. 

Parts are not that cheap, and unless one has the time, knowledge, and tools, dealers shop hrs are far from cheap. 

Like snowmobiles, they definitely get more expensive this time of year. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mowin said:

Parts are not that cheap, and unless one has the time, knowledge, and tools, dealers shop hrs are far from cheap. 

Like snowmobiles, they definitely get more expensive this time of year. 

True, should have said if you have the knowledge to work on then yourself.  And I jacked up that sentence,  now is the time they bring the most money like you said. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Engraver99 said:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Picked up a 2007 kawasaki prairie 360 for $1725, needed a carb($40) from sitting, runs like a charm, was hardly used, darn near mint condition.

I have same machine, and absolutely love it.  Fiancé/I we use for trail riding as a 2up, and snow plow the 300’ driveway, treework, hunting....Been one the best purchases I have made.  Good luck with it, enjoy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Engraver99 said:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Picked up a 2007 kawasaki prairie 360 for $1725, needed a carb($40) from sitting, runs like a charm, was hardly used, darn near mint condition.

Congrats on the wheeler. Now go get it dirty... 

• Like 1