Trying to hunt on Long Island

First-light

I had a colleague offer his back hill to me in Westchester since the deer were destroying his flowers...all legal clearances from neighbors-bow only. Quick scout - find heavy trail to shrubs from woods , climb and wait. 3:30 i hear the first footsteps of the neighbor’s kid heading to the garage to get his big wheels. As he is riding around, i climb down and never return. Imagine me sticking a deer that then death runs past that kid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I had a colleague offer his back hill to me in Westchester since the deer were destroying his flowers...all legal clearances from neighbors-bow only. Quick scout - find heavy trail to shrubs from woods , climb and wait. 3:30 i hear the first footsteps of the neighbor’s kid heading to the garage to get his big wheels. As he is riding around, i climb down and never return. Imagine me sticking a deer that then death runs past that kid?

Yup. Many guys do it in westchester. It's just not for me. A woman I work with showed me pics of deer in her yard and asked if i can come kill them. I asked her how much land she has. She said "I have a lot of land, almost 1 acre". I said no thanks.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Not justifying anything in this video.  But, here on Long island, some of the 'hunting' is in very residential areas and I can understand why people might not like the idea of it happening right where they live.  As someone else mentioned, a struck deer is gonna run and could very likely wind up in someone else's yard, or pool, or driveway.  And, the deer are not exactly 'wild'- they live in these residential areas and are not weary of people.  Not the kind of 'hunting' that I'm interested in.

Edited by virgil

I don't care how good the hunting is or how big the bucks are.  Absolutely NO way would I ever hunt in such an environment.  Having a smart ass punk kid spewing obscenities at me would put me close to the brink.  That is the last thing I want when I am out hunting.  Hunting should be an escape from such ignorant humanity and not being put right in the middle of it! 

Edited by steve863
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, virgil said:

Just sent the video to my brother and confirmed it's who I thought it was- and the kid with the nice mouth is his son.

Not justifying anything in this video.  But, here on Long island, some of the 'hunting' is in very residential areas and I can understand why people might not like the idea of it happening right where they live.  As someone else mentioned, a struck deer is gonna run and could very likely wind up in someone else's yard, or pool, or driveway.  And, the deer are not exactly 'wild'- they live in these residential areas and are not weary of people.  Not the kind of 'hunting' that I'm interested in.

Do us a favor and tell your brother his friend is an asshat and his kid needs a bar of soap in his mouth. I get someone may want to voice their opinion but if my kid talked to an adult like that......nice parenting. Hope your brother does not let them around his kids if he has any.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, steve863 said:

I don't care how good the hunting is or how big the bucks are.  Absolutely NO way would I ever hunt in such an environment.  Having a smart ass punk kid spewing obscenities at me would put me close to the brink.  That is the last thing I want when I am out hunting.  Hunting should be an escape from such ignorant humanity and not be put right in the middle of it! 

Agree!!

I don't know what to say. 

But, I'd also say that responses on this thread suggesting that another kid at school should attack the kid in the video, or calling him names,  don't exactly reflect well here either.

Edited by virgil

I always thought of hunting as something you do in relatively remote area  woods far  from lots of homes .

Having joey bag of donuts  in  my face and his little shit rat kids  definitely  not a place I would have anything to do with . You would have to pay me to hunt there and probably still wouldn't do it .  It's bad enough sharing the trails with them . But over there looks like you are between homes no thanks .

it's a hassle but i wouldn't care. i haven't in the past and still don't. only time i'd care is if my safety was in jeopardy and it never has been. i haven't hunted long island but i've hunted albany and it seems like the same thing. you just follow the law and be respectful.  those are the best spots because people don't want to deal with that crap. i sat in a treestand before with hunter orange on despite it was bow only public land. lady came out into her backyard and noticed me. yelled at me for 20 minutes. i just ignored her and then she went back inside. walked a hiking trail and have passed by hikers for an evening hunt. they would be surprised and say something stupid. still some will say "thank you, be safe, and good luck". others will give you intel.

I don't care how big the bucks are...There is no way I would put up with that kind of BS to hunt...

If that happened around here, the foul mouthed little prick would be walking (kinda) home with a hockey stick crammed up his butt..

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I don't care how big the bucks are...There is no way I would put up with that kind of BS to hunt...

If that happened around here, the foul mouthed little prick would be walking (kinda) home with a hockey stick crammed up his butt..

Anyone no this? are there any laws against hunter harrassment  in this state ?

Or can these shit rats  just do as they  please .

I'm pretty sure there is a law problem is who is  going to be around to inforce it . 

Edited by Hunter007

The Dad is a moron, limited intelligence & can’t comprehend that you are legally hunting and eating healthy, chemical free venison. His son sounds very effeminate and has probably never been reprimanded in his life. Horrible parenting. My sons would never speak to any adult like that. Unfortunately, in today’s world, the shit for brains Dad would rather be the child’s friend than parent.

I've seen this as clown. He goes to local watering hole on Thursdays that I go to. I just called a few camo friends and we are going Thursday to explain why hunting is important to the overall herd. One of my buddies "Tiny" said he's going to  explain to him why he hunts and what he would do if someone talked to him let a lone a child like that. I hunt all over LI from deer to birds to rabbits and only a small population hassle you if at all. But it is changing. As for this guy most likely his kid started it and the father was trying to look tough. It's ok Tiny doesn't like anti-hunters, anti-Americans, Democrats pretty much most people but me and about 5 other people unless they pipe fitters or welders like him. I'll keep you posted 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, NFA-ADK said:

Many uninformed about hunting and in public area this is sometimes an issue.  If you saw the 170 plus inch deer in the back yards of these people you would not care about pissing some off.  We do it all the time, sometimes these idiots have to put there 2 cents in because the just finished watching bambi and need a safe space.  One reason I stick to public land but have hunted many private and see how bad it can get.  These are the same people who go in and steal camera's and damage tree stands.  Father is an idiot for not explaining how the real world works but he is probably a liberal idiot living in his own world that revolves around himself and has no real clue about life. 

Sad part is, that spot is a public DEC parking spot 

7 hours ago, The Engineer said:

I've seen this as clown. He goes to local watering hole on Thursdays that I go to. I just called a few camo friends and we are going Thursday to explain why hunting is important to the overall herd. One of my buddies "Tiny" said he's going to  explain to him why he hunts and what he would do if someone talked to him let a lone a child like that. I hunt all over LI from deer to birds to rabbits and only a small population hassle you if at all. But it is changing. As for this guy most likely his kid started it and the father was trying to look tough. It's ok Tiny doesn't like anti-hunters, anti-Americans, Democrats pretty much most people but me and about 5 other people unless they pipe fitters or welders like him. I'll keep you posted 

Does he happen to go to Village Idiot on Thursday’s