Food plots on logging roads

So we currently have an 85 acre lease. I'd like to put in some food plots next year. This year marks our 2nd on this lease so we are still trying to get everything figured out. We have logging roads throughout the property, would it be worth brush hogging the trails down, killing off the vegetation, then scraping the ground up (I have no tiller, figured drag a old stell bed frame around) then plant my seeds. I'm in cattaraugus county if that matters. What's everyone use for killing vegetation and seeds to plant. And wheres a good place to get seeds. The farmer has 2 big hay fields and 1 big corn field in front of us. Thanks

Gly, any form or brand name,, lime and fert ,clover will hold up to travel and browsing, you can use a cereal grain in select sections as well  to help draw in fall as well as over seed brassica again in section.. no need to do a mile of road all in a plot just 100 yards or so where sunlight is sufficient and stand locations possible.  You can cover rest in a grass like rye  it will be used but is really there for erosion control. Widening of lane by cutting back shade trees add features like allowing more sun into plot , try and set up east west for max sunlight, removing sunlight.blocking tree s to south of road .predominantl Wind direction will also play into what sections of road way you want to make into " plots" vs erosion control plantings,  log landings / staging are also good spots for plots but be prepared to lime quite a bit as most areas will be acidic

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 2

The log roads at my buddy's lease were improved by an excavation company.  They put in water bars, crowned the road etc and planted everything with conservation mix on their way out.  What we consider conservation mix is ryegrass, fescue, timothy and clovers.  10 years later the roads are in great shape and haven't eroded.  We plan to widen certain areas, especially at intersections to make micro plots.  I agree that cutting back shade trees and lime are important, maybe more important than what you plant.