deer heart

2012_taco

I'm sure there is a post in here somewhere but I'll just ask.. Does anyone have a favorite recipe for preparing a deer heart? My sil used to do a stir fry with the heart, but she's no  longer in the picture. I have one in the freezer from last year and I saved the heart from my buddies buck the other day. I'm looking for something good and simple, I'm not a gourmet chef by any means.  Thanks.

Mix equal parts soy sauce, olive oil, worchester sauce, add some heat if you like - either Tabasco, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper. Or other flavors like teriyaki.

Marinate the deer (sliced into one inch pieces) heart in this mix for 30-60 minutes.   Sautée some onions until they start to brown on the edges, add the deer heart to the pan and cook until just past rare.  Do not go past medium.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TACC said:

I prefer to pickle mine, once I get 4 of them to do it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My wife makes them for me every Valentine's day.   She uses my grandma's old recipe that she used for beef hearts and tongues.  I always liked the beef tongues better than the hearts.  A friend, who recently butchered some steers, just dropped off a couple that we can mix in with the deer hearts next time.   Deer tongues are too small to mess around with, but moose tongue is as good as any wild game gets.        

Best way to eat heart is to chop it fine or use the corse plate on a grinder. Mix with mayo mustard, salt pepper, onion, garlic, hot sauce, and capers and eat raw maybe on toast or with potato chips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Yikes chef...that sounds hard core and yet your tootsie were chilly this morning! Poor baby!!!
Im 5 minutes from Bville Field Club- next time shoot me a PM

Will do, I won’t be there for a while not much business this time of year. But in the warmer months I’m at Siwanoy at least twice a week I for sure will hit you up

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/24/2019 at 11:21 PM, nyslowhand said:

Super fresh, opened-up with arteries trimmed, sliced, slow cooked with tons of butter. Butter &/or bacon makes everything edible, right? I've even eaten fresh venison liver prep'ed the same way and I normally hate liver.

Is the texture "rubbery" when you cook it like that, or does the muscle "loosen up" once cooked long enough? I have four hearts that I am trying to figure out what do do with. One idea I have is to grind the meat and make chili, but I'm worried that they will turn into little rubber pellets.

I have found the best way is to keep it at rare or medium rare at most.  Well done will certainly be rubbery.  My friend cut them into small pieces and quickly sautéed them with spices and served them as tacos.  They were delicious!  I would nor recommend grinding them up.

If you have 4 hearts, I have heard that pickled deer heart is delicious too.  I have not had it myself, but I am pretty sure I would like it. 

• Like 1