One week.

Nytracker

I have one day under my belt already with the crossbow (last Friday up in the northern zone).  I did not see anything up there until Saturday, when I had my muzzleloader.  I  passed on three unidentified deer (probably a doe with two fawns) while still-hunting.   I had an antlerless and an either/or tag and a very good "quartering away" 40 yard opportunity on one of them.  I did not shoot, because our freezer is still half full of venison from last year, and I was afraid it would turn out to be a 3-1/4" unicorn.  There are a couple of nice, heavy 2.5 and 3.5 year old bucks at home in the Southern zone. I am hoping to use that "either/or" tag with the crossbow on one of them, starting next Saturday. 

I sat the first hour of daylight today in one of my blinds, for turkey with the shotgun, but did not see any birds or deer.  I did see a ton of tracks on one small foodplot (1/4 turnips, 3/4 wheat - soybean - white clover mix).  It looks like the deer have cleaned out most of the soybeans, but the wheat and clover is holding up well.   I opened up a couple of shooting lanes to that plot from a nearby ladder stand.   That should make it a great spot for the crossbow next weekend.

I am a little bit concerned about my crossbow, because it is not shooting as flat as it did when new.   I use to be able to use the top illuminated dot on the sight, all the way out to 40 yards, but now that only gets me to 20 yards.  I need the middle dot for 20-30 yards, and the bottom one from 30-40 yards.   My plan for this season is to sight objects at these ranges from all of my stands with my laser range-finder and to use the right dot for a shot.   I am also down to my last mechanical, 125 gr broadhead, with which I have been 100 % sucessful with that crossbow (4 for 4) on deer since 2014.   I have a few muzzy and wasp 125 grain fixed-blade broadheads, which hit targets exactly the same as the mechanicals, but I have never tried them on deer with the crossbow.  I will have to this season if I get more than one shot.    

My plan for next year is to pick up a new, slightly upgraded crossbow and (6) mechanical 100 grain broadheads.    Those are easier to find than 125 grain, and should shoot flatter from my old crossbow, which I will keep for backup.   I was going to wait for full inclusion to upgrade, but the diminishing performance of my 2014 crossbow (which has around 100 shots on it) has forced my hand.   Also, I don't believe we will ever see full-inclusion in NY.  That is no big deal for me. If we had it, I would probably not make those trips up to the northern zone, where I get to enjoy my mother in law's spectacular cooking and some breath-taking scenery.                   

Edited by wolc123

2 hours ago, land 1 said:

.Wolc your string may have stretched some thus the chage in the flatness of your shot...

That is exactly what happened.   The relaxed limb width of my Barnett Recruit use to be 18-1/16" (just above the state limit of 18"), and now it is 18-1/2".   I was going to get it restrung next season, but I have decided to pick up a new crossbow instead.   Hopefully, they will get a few more of the "bugs" worked out of the Centerpoint by then (a smoother trigger and a better scope maybe).    My Barnett has been great, but I need to stay within it's new limitations this year (40 yards max).  It was marginal at 59 yards, right out of the box, back in 2014.   If the Centerpoint don't perform to my expectations, I might get the Barnett restrung and keep it in service for another half decade or so. 

The Centerpoint looks to be a bit wider and heavier than my Barnett, but 70 fps more should make it shoot a lot flatter and give it a legit 60 yard range.   My Recruit (300 fps when brand new) only provided 8" of penetration into a deer at 59 yards (fortunately all the way thru the heart).  Because of that piss-poor long range penetration, I only considered it a 50 yard weapon after that shot, and now it is down to 40.  With (4) bucks, including a very heavy 3-1/2 year old, and my personal best button last season, I think I already got my $250 worth out of this Barnett Recruit.   

post-5805-0-96251300-1436668553.jpg      

My plans to shoot this afternoon   was put on the back burner ... had to do breaks on  wifes car .  Caliper froze up  wasted the rotor and pads .  New front and back rotors ,pads, new front calipers.  Figured  get it all done before  winter ... or worse middle of deer season..... oh yea keep wifey safe... :rolleyes:

I'm all sited in to 50 yards which I will never do. That is far it's like 150' away or so. 40 or less maybe but 30 yards is dead on. Trimmed my shooting lanes, washed my clothes and told my wife that this opening day and 11/16 are my days and she and the dogs are staying home. It's my time. I always take care of her dad who is 92 (easy to do he's my buddy) but I can't let her know that. I'll never get anything. Good luck and be safe 

I am looking forward to crossbow, but for a different reason.  I do bow hunt, but have to hold the bow the entire time, gets uncomfortable, and achey.  Once crossbow is here, I don’t have to wear the arm, so it’s refreshing.

Why do you need to hold it the entire time? Would a “bow holster” help? It hangs from
Your belt and the bottom cam sits in that to alleviate some weight. Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Why do you need to hold it the entire time? Would a “bow holster” help? It hangs from
Your belt and the bottom cam sits in that to alleviate some weight. Just a thought

I don’t want to derail the thread but I hold the bow because i hold the bow with the fake arm.  I grip onto the bow, then I power the arm OFF, this way when I draw the bow, I don’t involuntarily open the hand, or rotate the wrist.  I do use a bow holder, that cranks into the tree, but it is just not ideal altogether.  Not complaining though, do what you need to do, glad I can bow hunt :)

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 2

I don’t want to derail the thread but I hold the bow because i hold the bow with the fake arm.  I grip onto the bow, then I power the arm OFF, this way when I draw the bow, I don’t involuntarily open the hand, or rotate the wrist.  I do use a bow holder, that cranks into the tree, but it is just not ideal altogether.  Not complaining though, do what you need to do, glad I can bow hunt

What a shock...I am more impressed with what you do!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1