crossbow hunting in high winds advice

goosifer

Could anyone give me any advice or guidance regarding crossbow hunting from a treestand in high winds? Is there a point where you say its not recommended? Where I hunt is generally windy, and Saturday winds are forecast at 11-17 mph. Just take shots that are only directly into the wind (as opposed to from left to right)? Take it as it comes and just make sure the wind isn't too strong the moment before I take a shot? Would it help if I set up on the ground? (I've never done so, but could try to find a spot by a tree, I suppose. TIA.

Another thought. I remember reading about how a perpendicular wind of x miles per hour will move an bullet y inches off over z feet. Does such a chart exist for arrows or bolts? Assuming I could find this chart, would it be feasible to try to make those adjustments on the fly? Is this just a thing that bowhunters do all the time?

Edited by goosifer

I’ve shot plenty of arrows out of my bow in high winds , practicing in my yard .

Cant say I’ve noticed much, at the distances I shoot mostly around 20 yards + - .

Id worry more about tree movement .

Just found this , confirms my experience at 20 yards , farther out and stronger winds and you’ve got a problem ! 

https://www.sikastopper.com/archery-and-wind

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I'd be curious in into the wind or with the wind too   In golf into the wind will knock the ball down , with it it'll ride high.   Again with short distances with a bolt I doubt much effect

Would bet the effect against wind is similar.  Slows arrow which means more drop by time it arrives to target but again probably nothing noticeable unless long distance.  With wind I bet it has near 0 effect.   

25 yards or less at a downward angle from a tree stand at let's say 15'.......I am guessing you won't see much of a difference since you'll be tucked inside trees as well. Maybe shooting out of a blind into an open field with a cross wind.....the arrow would wobble a bit....but still won't affect POI much.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

^^^ Oh yeah, agree with mowin!!!!!

Applying Kentucky windage to an arrow's flight in the wind - way over-thinking this situation. I'd be more worried about un-clenching the stand to shoot while the tree & stand are swaying. Not to mention the possible movement of the stand while aiming at a standing target or esp a walking deer.

On 10/27/2019 at 11:18 AM, moog5050 said:

Theoretically wind pushes fletching causing arrow to move into wind (not what most expect).  But I agree with others.  Reasonable wind at reasonable distances is not something I would worry about.  

It would, but the arrow will still go downwind because the arrow's vector is no longer parallel to its length. In other words the arrow's fletching will be downwind relative to the tip, but the entire thing will still go downwind. I think if you made an arrow with fletching along its entire length and much larger fletching on the back you might find some interesting effects like you allude to, though. Yeah, I think you could get an arrow to shoot up wind with some modifications :D