PSE Thrive 400

Marsala-man

I just picked one of these up: https://www.amazon.com/PSE-Crossbow-Kryptek-Highlander-Illuminated/dp/B0795SKDBV

Wondering if anyone has one and has any tips about cocking this. To say the instructions and associated diagrams are helpful would be a lie. I've watched a couple of videos on cocking but nothing specific to this. I addition the cocking aid is a rope with a sled that's slides on the rail.  Don't want to do anything stupid the first time trying to use it. You know like not watching any videos, shortening the rope, realizing that maybe you didn't need to shorten the rope. Thinking am i too short to make this thing work. Maybe I should seek the advice of other folks.... Any help is appreciated. 

Definitely excited to give a go this weekend. First time hunting with any type of crossbow/bow.

Trick to using a rope cocker is getting it s/u to the proper rope length for your height &/or body build. Most of the work should be done with your back as you go from being bent over gripping the rope handles to a fully vertical body position. Only last amount of draw length done with either your arms or shoulder muscles.

Only reason I opted for the ratcheting cocking device is I thought it would be a little safer & easier to re-cock while up in a tree stand vs using a rope cocker. Ratcheting cocking devices do add some weight to Xbow, they tend to make a rather loud ratcheting sound and $$.

12 hours ago, Marsala-man said:

I just picked one of these up: https://www.amazon.com/PSE-Crossbow-Kryptek-Highlander-Illuminated/dp/B0795SKDBV

Wondering if anyone has one and has any tips about cocking this. To say the instructions and associated diagrams are helpful would be a lie. I've watched a couple of videos on cocking but nothing specific to this. I addition the cocking aid is a rope with a sled that's slides on the rail.  Don't want to do anything stupid the first time trying to use it. You know like not watching any videos, shortening the rope, realizing that maybe you didn't need to shorten the rope. Thinking am i too short to make this thing work. Maybe I should seek the advice of other folks.... Any help is appreciated. 

Definitely excited to give a go this weekend. First time hunting with any type of crossbow/bow.

I don't have that crossbow but I am going to assume it is the same as mine. Man I typed up a whole paragraph and I was thinking, I couldn't understand that if someone said that to me. Do you understand how the rope sled attaches to the string? I'll try again. The reason you are thinking you are too short is because the rope is too long. Attach the rope sled to the rail and the string and run the rope around the stock the way it is hopefully described in your instructions. Now pull all the slack out of the rope so that one of the handles is right against the ropesled. Shorten the rope so that the other handle is right against the rope sled as well. I made mine so I just have to pull the bow string back a tiny bit with my fingers to attach the sled. That way there is tension on it holding it in place. Now there should be no slack at all in your rope and it should stay if you let go. Put your foot through the loop and bend over pulling back both rope handles evenly. You should hear the bow cock when you are back far enough. Then remove the rope and load a bolt. Hopefully this is helpful. I could show you in 5 seconds but it is hard to write out in an easy to explain way.