Warm gear

Chef

So what do you guys think is more important a really good base layer or a warm jacket. I’m trying to find the best way to stay as warm as possible and still be able to shoot my bow from a stand. What do you all suggest. If a warm coat is the way to go what would you get? I’d like to be able to go all the way through to late bow and stay warm without being too bulky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As i get older I'm using all wool base layers.. I use a Cabelas Wooltimate jacket and pants as my outer layer. Dead quiet drawing my bow and very windproof. During gun season i dont care about noise too much i care about lasting 3-4 hours on stand!! 

8 hours ago, Engraver99 said:

Never been warmer than with my sitka gear...core base layers, hoodies, early season stratus, late season incinerator.....toasty warm.

I know most think it’s crazy to spend big money on hunting clothes but I agree, the Sitka stratus and fanatic stuff keep me unbelievably warm and comfy.  Money well spent.  

Edited by moog5050

I know most think it’s crazy to spend big money on hunting clothes but I agree, the Sitka stratus and fanatic stuff keep me unbelievably warm and comfy.  Money well spent.  

As a bigger guy how have you made out with Sitka’s sizing. I was looking at the stratus but the largest size is 2x and I worried that won’t be big enough

5 minutes ago, Chef said:

As a bigger guy how have you made out with Sitka’s sizing. I was looking at the stratus but the largest size is 2x and I worried that won’t be big enough

They sell 3xl you just won’t find it in stores for the most part.   Different pieces are cut different.   I fit into the stratus jacket and bibs well in 3xl.   I also use the fanatic hoodie and vest in 3xl.   As I recall, the fanatic jacket did not fit (bibs did) so I went with the first lite version of the incinerator jacket (forget name at moment) - which is also ridiculously warm.   .  

Most of the stuff is cut more athletic even in big sizes. 

Edited by moog5050

They sell 3xl you just won’t find it in stores for the most part.   Different pieces are cut different.   I fit into the stratus jacket and bibs well in 3xl.   I also use the fanatic hoodie and vest in 3xl.   As I recall, the fanatic jacket did not fit (bibs did) so I went with the first lite version of the incinerator (forget name at moment).  
Most of the stuff is cut more athletic even in big sizes. 

Interesting, on their website 3x was grayed out but I found it on amazon! Thanks man I think I’m going to be investing in a bunch of Sitka gear over the next few weeks

I think clothing and boots should be where the most money is spent, otherwise hunting can be a miserable time and that’s no fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chef said:

Interesting, on their website 3x was grayed out but I found it on amazon! Thanks man I think I’m going to be investing in a bunch of Sitka gear over the next few weeks

Factory is sold out to of the 2019 3xl.   Amazon usually has it.   Enjoy.  

I have old clothes but still use a good base layer and I am always warm and waterproof jacket keeps wind out along with pants.  Layering is the best way to keep warm just make sure they are not to tight.  New clothes are expensive but you get what you paid for most times and are usually worth the price if you shop around. 

13 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Warm base layer and something to stop the wind if I’m sitting and I’m good for a long time, merino wool is what I wear for base layers. I have different weights for different conditions.

this. layers of warmth and a good shell to block the wind. My ghillie suit for bow doesn't do sh!t for wind and a few hunts ago it was warm but the wind was whipping and I got chilly quick. Scent blocker and UA make some reasonably priced outer shells that aren't too bulky but contain good windstopper/rainblocker material. scentblocker will have some good sales around black friday and off season on their website.

Just picked up a Smartwool top and bottom from Sierra for $40 each. Will wear with Terramor base, an old Uniqlo down and the Kuiu shell this weekend. 

I will only wear smart wool socks but I don’t like their base layers because the elastic wears out way too fast. The wool is 2nd to none. Let me know if they’re still holding up after the season I might have to give them another shot.