Binocular harness

Buckmaster7600

Who wears them and what brand do you have?

I have Leupold 8x32’s and think I want to start carrying them for tracking and still hunting. Don’t want any extra crap on them just something to keep the snow/rain off them and be somewhat comfortable to wear but not be in the way. Tried on a buddy’s kuiu today and it was way too big for my binos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just bought a new one from Black Ovis, made by Sitka.  

https://www.blackovis.com/sitka-bino-bivy-8x-10x-00c

Good size for my nocks and I could squeeze in my rangefinder if I wanted to, but I like that on a long loop around my neck hanging near my belt line.  I like the magnetic closure on the flap, but you can zip it shut if you want to as well. 

1 minute ago, Otto said:

Good size for my nocks and I could squeeze in my rangefinder if I wanted to, but I like that on a long loop around my neck hanging near my belt line.  I like the magnetic closure on the flap, but you can zip it shut if you want to as well. 

I hope you aren’t ever in a hurry to get your glass out........Fort Knox.  Lol

• Like 1

I bought the chest harness one at Field & Stream takes a lot of pressure off your neck.. Strapped on my Bushnell trophy 10x42... Can still shoot the bow with them on... $11.99.. My binocs have flaps for the glass

Edited by JRod 8G8H

Thanks but I’m looking for something way less technical than that.

https://www.sportsmans.com/hunting-gear-supplies/hunting-packs/binocular-harnesses-cases/alps-outdoorz-bino-hunting-harness-x/p/1433640?channel=shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt7rnu7rA5QIVA3iGCh0O8gIcEAQYCCABEgJLfvD_BwE

I have used this harness for the past three seasons. Awesome product. Mine is a touch small for my Nikon Prostaff 7s binos but now they make a larger size for $5 more. Quality is top notch. I found mine on sale at Herb Philipsons for $25 three years ago. Shop around and you can find them for $30-40. Well worth it. 

I'm very low tech, using a standard strap ( there is probably a better system) however, binoculars IMHO are an absolutely INDISPENSIBLE  tool for still hunting...I don't still hunt much any more, since I no longer can execute quick off hand shots, but back in the day, I'd  almost rather leave my GUN home than my binoculars when still hunting....Look a LOT and move a little...Of course, my still hunting was generally done in specific areas here in the southern tier where it was not necessary to cover a lot of ground to find deer..

• Like 2

I use a chest harness and have a couple of different brands on different binoculars.  I want the binoculars close to my body when not in use and I don't want them to dangle on the ground or bump my rifle when I'm climbing a steep hill, hunched over or near the ground. 

I don't like the enclosed cases because they hinder the ability to use binocs quickly or at will when you need to.  They are also bulky and can get in the way when hunting, since they stand off the chest so much.  They also require a lot more movement to use.  I also don't feel my binocs need that much protection when hunting.  I paid for quality and durability and rely on that in the field. 

I also prefer camo straps.  When wearing camo, the black straps stand out way too much.

These days If I am carrying my binocs, I'm using a chest harness.

I have gone to the Rick Young system after seeing them recommended on this board by Moog I think. Bought one to give it a try and liked it so well I purchased a couple of more. Light weight and they work perfect for me for all of my binoculars large and small. Extra attaching clips are also available so the same harness can be used for different binos or range finders.

Al

2019-10-29_063548.png

2019-10-29_063622.png

2019-10-29_065926.png

2019-10-29_070420.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, airedale said:

I have gone to the Rick Young system after seeing them recommended on this board by Moog I think. Bought one to give it a try and liked it so well I purchased a couple of more. Light weight and they work perfect for me for all of my binoculars large and small.

Al

2019-10-29_063548.png

2019-10-29_063622.png

This is what I use.  Works great. But doesn’t cover binos if you need that

8 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

This is what I use.  Works great. But doesn’t cover binos if you need that

I bought The Rick Young harness last year after Moog's recommendation, I love them.  I had these before but they stretched out and needed to be adjusted often

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vortex-Binocular-Harness-Strap/37391420?athcpid=37391420&athpgid

I put the binos on before my top layer and just have to pull down the zipper to grab them. I don't like having the binos exposed to the elements. It works for me. Thanks Moog!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rattler said:

Seriously?  You don't know what you're missing.  I often spot many deer I would have never seen if not for the binocs.

I was thinking during bow.  I do carry a little monocular in my pocket but rather have the rangefinder handy for bow.  So they need to be close and will see them without binos.  

34 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I was thinking during bow.  I do carry a little monocular in my pocket but rather have the rangefinder handy for bow.  So they need to be close and will see them without binos.  

I don’t always use binos in bow.  It’s location dependent.  And if I do, no interference because I range trees and markers ahead of time and put the RF away.   The only time I remember ranging a live deer is when sitting in the blind.  

9 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

I hope you aren’t ever in a hurry to get your glass out........Fort Knox.  Lol

So far I keep it zipped when walking to my location, then unzip it. The flap has a magnetic clasp to hold it in place, very easy to remove.  Not as easy as straps, but still easy access. 

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

I don’t always use binos in bow.  It’s location dependent.  And if I do, no interference because I range trees and markers ahead of time and put the RF away.   The only time I remember ranging a live deer is when sitting in the blind.  

i do the same and range ahead of time but i sometimes range other spots when i sit there or do it again if i forgot.  but just seems like with rangefinder, binos, grunt call, bow and my big ass in the stand theres a lot going on there.  lol Used to carry binos but they seemed to be more in the way than helpful at least during bow.  Gun is def different might try out those harnesses .

It always amazed me watching hunting shows how often those guys are ranging deer, I don’t remember the last time I carried a range finder in the woods when hunting from a stand, if I’m still hunting especially up north I carry it because its harder to judge distance for me.

I only hunt from the ground and am usually moving to different spots on the properties I hunt (mix of private and public). I like to have both binos and range finder as I usually don't have set distances locked in from a fixed vantage point.

I use Tim Burnett's bino system:

https://solohntr.com/product-category/gear/binocular-systems/

I find it very comfortable, has a pouch for range finder, loops you can stick a call in and magnetic close for the binos. Also has additional straps that allow you to let the binos dangle without needing to place them back in the pouch if you have to grab your bow fast. The only thing I don't like is the material on the inside of the pouch tends to make a squeaking noise when I placed the binos back in. I glued a piece of felt to it to dampen the noise.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

this harness keeps my 10x42's tight to my chest. even when bending over or smashing through the brush they're snug. But there is the perfect amount of give that i can easily raise them with one hand while sitting int the stand or at the edge of the field. Coupled with my new binos I wish I'd done this years ago. No fumbling for stuff and very little movement.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-binoculars-accessory-vtharness.html