Venison with no beef/pork added

Team Hoyt

1 minute ago, Otto said:

You can add it prior to cooking it.  I read that pork fat does not freeze 100% and can turn rancid over time, even when vac sealed.  Only one source, so I’m interested in other opinions too.    Thoughts?

I just ate a two year old package of breakfast sausage that we added pork fat to and it was fine. Vacuum sealed with a food saver cheapie.

• Like 2

i've never added anything. we use it for all kinds of stuff. just used ground venison with nothing added for lasagna. i did grind in bulk bacon ends with some of it this season so i can make burgers at work and not worry about messing with egg and sometimes bread crumbs. you just have to not cook the hell out of it, even though it's ground.

Just now, doebuck1234 said:

X2!i never add either.flip carefully if doing burgers or add egg.like my lean venison

flip careful method never works with how much i trim it out. need some kind of binder. good news though venison tacos are awesome and no binder needed.

• Like 1

Just now, Pygmy said:

I add some fatty beef ( usually 70% lean burger from Wallyworld)….3 or 4 parts venison to one part beef...

Makes a good burger and  works great for meatballs, meatloaf, etc. etc.

sounds like mystery meat. i get cuts of beef from butcher counter only like whole chuck and grind it up myself. ground at places like walmart worry me. lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

sounds like mystery meat. i get cuts of beef from butcher counter only like whole chuck and grind it up myself. ground at places like walmart worry me. lol

So you're a conniessuer...Good for you...

I'm just an old country boy from Dogpatch....Walmart doesn't  bother me...Burger is burger...

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i'm a country boy too just younger. i don't know who connie is but i'll only sue her if she takes food from my freezer and if moog drops his rates.

That's my favorite ex girlfriend.. Connie Lingus...….

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Burger I add 1/3, 70 percent burger . Sausage I grind a pork butt  and go 50 / 50  venison to pork.   I grind every bit of the pork minus the bone . I dont trim the pork fat. Most of my snack sticks and summer sausage  I  mix 1/3  pork butt to venison.

Man after my own heart....For you Pilgrims out there...Do not follow these proportions unless you want your burger and sausage to taste good...

• Thanks 1

For burgers my favorite is to add 3lbs of ground bacon ends and peices to 10 lbs of ground venison.  Best way I've done it.  Good venison flavor and burger consistancy. 

For sausage I do 60/40 venison/pork. Again it doesn't come out dry and gives you the sausage consistancy instead of being like burgers .  Add in spices from Amish store or Walton's.  

I don't add anything. I love a nice medium rare venison burger steak. I season it with some Bucks and black pepper, sear it in a good hot iron fry pan and enjoy it like a steak often with breakfast. If you cook it to well, it will be dry and not very tasty. Mmmmm, hungry just thinking of it...