Would you hunt this If it was legal

Hunter007

11 hours ago, Hunter007 said:

Someone who has seen them while   down there .

What's with the hostility  ?

People hunt all shorts  of things . 

Yeah, not getting it either. This was under the general chit chat section, where it belongs. If you don't like it, scroll on by.

Ben Franklin wanted the wild turkey to be our national bird. If it was, maybe we WOULD be out roosting a bald eagle for our morning hunt. I'm in.

Edited by Skillet
  • Like 1

Kind of like a muskox hunt....The only hard parts are GETTING THERE.....putting up with the  SUB ZERO WEATHER....and paying many THOUSANDS of dollars to do it..Not to mention spending  a few nights in an igloo with Inuits who haven't had a bath in six months...Basically you just drive your snow machine or dogsled up to the critters and shoot them when they form a defensive circle.....I have read that they are VERY tasty, however....
I'm surprised you haven't yet done a Muskox hunt. They are relatively reasonably priced and given you did multiple caribou hunts in the past surprised why you never did Muskox. Its definitely on my list to do one day ideally with a bow

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1. It is kinda a dum question. Sry Hunter007. 

2. If they were legal to hunt, the population must be at a point where they need to be controlled or are posing some sort of nuisance. 

3. Aren't we all hunters here? If the animal is legal to take, has a set season, a set manner of taking, tags are being issued, etc., isn't that what we do?

4. Again, if the animal were legal to take and taken legally, why the hostility? Are you saying the kid in the vid from Long Island was correct for what he did (as a father I would beat his behind for his language)? Very similar situation here. 

5. As a meat hunter (of course I mount a nice buck like any of us would, but I hunt for the meat. I've taken far more doe than bucks, the mount is a bonus), I wouldn't take one if they didn't taste good. If they tasted like lobster or king crab legs, as mentioned earlier and were legal to take, how many tags do I get?

My parents have house on water down in Florida. No hostility here. When I say its be the boring hunt to pick I mean that from experience. They move slow and pretty much seek you out due to curiosity. It's a huge target too. I've been so close I could touch them in both boat and kayak.

I gotta side with grampy though on the gator hunt. I love gator meat. Despite its comforting knowing deer dont circle my stand hoping I fall out, I'd still hunt gators. I'm not a reptile person in any way shape or form. That'd be a hero shot though if you were behind a trophy sized gator all stretched out and broadsided while you hold its mouth open.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

I'm surprised you haven't yet done a Muskox hunt. They are relatively reasonably priced and given you did multiple caribou hunts in the past surprised why you never did Muskox. Its definitely on my list to do one day ideally with a bow

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Okay,  why don't you and I go on one....You pay, of course...

While you are out in the frozen wastes  in 40 below temps riding on a snowmobile  with  some grizzled old Inuit dude and sleeping in an igloo  I'll stay back in the village snuggled up in a caribou robe  next to the fire with his three 20-some  year old daughters drinking Moosehead beer and nibbling  on caribou crunchies and moose munchies... You can even have my share  of the muskox meat, as long as you pay to have it shipped home, of course...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Okay,  why don't you and I go on one....You pay, of course...

While you are out in the frozen wastes  in 40 below temps riding on a snowmobile  with  some grizzled old Inuit dude and sleeping in an igloo  I'll stay back in the village snuggled up in a caribou robe  next to the fire with his three 20-some  year old daughters drinking Moosehead beer and nibbling  on caribou crunchies and moose munchies... You can even have my share  of the muskox meat, as long as you pay to have it shipped home, of course...

Moose munchies? coming from you that HAS to have a different meaning to it than just a snack. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

1. It is kinda a dum question. Sry Hunter007. 

2. If they were legal to hunt, the population must be at a point where they need to be controlled or are posing some sort of nuisance. 

3. Aren't we all hunters here? If the animal is legal to take, has a set season, a set manner of taking, tags are being issued, etc., isn't that what we do?

4. Again, if the animal were legal to take and taken legally, why the hostility? Are you saying the kid in the vid from Long Island was correct for what he did (as a father I would beat his behind for his language)? Very similar situation here. 

5. As a meat hunter (of course I mount a nice buck like any of us would, but I hunt for the meat. I've taken far more doe than bucks, the mount is a bonus), I wouldn't take one if they didn't taste good. If they tasted like lobster or king crab legs, as mentioned earlier and were legal to take, how many tags do I get?

Lots  of guys  will only hunt certain gritters  . Many will only hunt big game  for example .  Some guys only hunt small game or birds  . Doesn't mean anything is wrong with it just everyone likes what they like . 

13 minutes ago, Belo said:

nothing sporting about hunting the big and slow sea cow. Probably the equivalent of hunting plains bison back in the day. Great for feeding lots of people (which is why we hunt), but would feel more like farming/grocery shopping than really hunting in its modern sense. 

Apparently you have not had one jump the string.  They are quick for being so large.

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I was being sarcastic.  I thought a fellow Webstonian would catch that Belo!

sorry man. 2.5 days staring at trees has me a little foggy in the brain. i didn't even read the 2 pages so assumed there was something in here controversial. I will go back to looking out my home office window at the rain... and deep sigh a few more times.

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

I was being sarcastic.  I thought a fellow Webstonian would catch that Belo!

i shot a trad league during the winter one year. we shot the indoor techno hunt screen setup. just prior to release the little turtle sitting on a log in the water that i was aiming at suddenly fell off. my arrow sailed into the screen (empty air just above the log) for no score. no need to be sarcastic. anything can duck your arrow with those things!

5 minutes ago, Belo said:

sorry man. 2.5 days staring at trees has me a little foggy in the brain. i didn't even read the 2 pages so assumed there was something in here controversial. I will go back to looking out my home office window at the rain... and deep sigh a few more times.

at least you can look out your window. if i look out my office window it's at a wildlife preserve here in Albany where I have 2, soon to be 4 DMP tags for. the struggle is real. lol

10 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

at least you can look out your window. if i look out my office window it's at a wildlife preserve here in Albany where I have 2, soon to be 4 DMP tags for. the struggle is real. lol

this year has been harder than most it seems. I've had a lot of work travel and the days i've set aside for the woods have not delivered with either deer or weather. And the tired working father of 3 was really hoping to punch my buck tag before daylight savings lol

• Like 1