Life-line

rachunter

I’ve been thinking of getting a life-line. After reading a story in the “conservationist” yesterday I definitely want one. Does anyone use them and what do you think about it. Is it easy to put up and take down or am I better off buying a few. Is one brand better than another or do you make your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Some of my stands have them, they all probably should. My problem with them is I think they will one day cause me to fall because I’m always taking my hands of the steps to slide the knot up the rope, hopefully it works and I don’t die but I’m pretty sure it will happen one day.

• Like 1

I bought the 3 pack.  Use a linemans belt/strap to initially set the stand and lifeline up.  It's so quiet too!  You can also use the lifeline as the 'treestrap' when you're in the stand.  They also have lifelines that are highly reflective so they're super easy to spot when going in, in the dark.  I highly recommend!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, buffalojay83 said:

I bought the 3 pack.  Use a linemans belt/strap to initially set the stand and lifeline up.  It's so quiet too!  You can also use the lifeline as the 'treestrap' when you're in the stand.  They also have lifelines that are highly reflective so they're super easy to spot when going in, in the dark.  I highly recommend!

Sounds like we bought the same ones , highly reflective is an understatement! LOL ,if your headlamp gets any light at all on them it looks like a rope full of LED lights.

• Like 3

Every single hang on and when I used a climber ,from the first step up . Ladders I Clip in on top ,but considering rigging those up as well .

My daughter has  had two patients for surgery’s due to tree stand falls so far this year, these aren’t guys who came to ED to get a cast, but ones admitted and had to have surgery’s, add in the ED visits and all shifts and all hospitals well , you beget the idea. One was a ladderstand  fall too .

I have a good who friend is scheduled for more exams, after a short fall when the bottom of his climber shifted last week .

That said I tie off a rope both  above the stand , and near the ground ,so I can slide the Prisik knot up as I climb . The closed loop you tie the Prusik out of should be of a smaller diameter then the life line too .

I have another friend who broke his femur , and it seems at work at least one Guy a year would fall , each year .

I had a source of rope from work, which eased the pain( $), every time they changed our bail out system they let us keep the old ropes, and I’d get them form as many guys as I could .

If the rope is tied off at the bottom , it should slide up with only one hand coming off, steps . 

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Some of my stands have them, they all probably should. My problem with them is I think they will one day cause me to fall because I’m always taking my hands of the steps to slide the knot up the rope, hopefully it works and I don’t die but I’m pretty sure it will happen one day.

should be one handed operation. when you do take a hand off you have three points of contact. they're stupidly convenient compared to a linemans belt. without anything, you're obviously at risk not being attached to the tree while climbing.

• Like 1

We use them on all of our ladder stands. I purchased a few of the HHS lifelines, but have also purchased rope from a local climbing/adventure shop and made my own. The ropes are better quality and seem to hold up to the elements better than the HHS rope – and were significantly less expensive.

• Like 2

i now use them on every hung stand or placed stand that's mine. climber i just use rope style tree strap while i climb. no reason not to. it's cheapest life insurance you'll ever have. plus they've gotten cheaper and come with multiple lines per pack now. couple important stuff with them like tied off at the bottom and not holding the prusik knot while you climb but they're safest option if you're going to hunt from stands.

• Like 1

Do guys leave them out year round.....or take down after the season?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I personally leave mine out all year round and usually will just add a second if one starts to look less than perfect. So then I'll just be clipped to two. Mostly because I'm just too lazy to take down the old one. But I highly recommend them, they're great! I also have since bought a q-safe treestrap that I use in my climber. It's awesome!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

i take everything done after the season. things last longer. especially life lines. at some point you'll just buy new ones for piece of mind despite they might seem fine.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rachunter said:

I’ve been thinking of getting a life-line. After reading a story in the “conservationist” yesterday I definitely want one. Does anyone use them?

Does Howdy Doody have wooden balls?

Hell yes........great addition to every stand I use.  Heck, even my ladder stand has one.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Mine come down ,along with the stands every year ,although I only have one hang on now and it’s in the garage .

I am going to rig them on the two, ladders my daughter uses, my old safety plan was to stand under her to catch / break her fall as she climbed up / down  ( she clipped in once up ) . Mrs Nomad was less then impressed with that plan ,it’s a 18 foot stand .

Mine come down ,along with the stands every year ,although I only have one hang on now and it’s in the garage .
I am going to rig them on the two, ladders my daughter uses, my old safety plan was to stand under her to catch / break her fall as she climbed up / down  ( she clipped in once up ) . Mrs Nomad was less then impressed with that plan ,it’s a 18 foot stand .
Same here......I actually was going to climb behind my little guy who is like a squirrel. My plan was to hold on like hell and Mrs. Mlammerhirt was very ticked at me for that idea.....so lifeline it is.

Lol .

My only concern , is I tie them off at the bottom so the  knot slides up easy , on a ladder then the rope would be in the way once sitting if it’s tied to lower rung  . I may hold the rope as she climbs , then once up she can swing it over behind her , and climbing down it wouldn’t matter .

I'm a big supporter of life lines, because one saved my life. That does not mean I didn't get hurt but I think I would of died if I had not used it.

Here's the story: I had lost the key to the lock to one of my tree stands, I thought I found the key so when I went to do some work around where I hunt. I took the key with me along with my harness. Went to the stand and thought about not putting my harness on because I was not going all the way up the tree. I was just going high enough to reach the lock. I put my harness on and attached it to the life line and started up the tree, sliding the knot up as I went along I got almost to where I could reach the lock and stepped on a peg the peg pulled out of the tree. I fell less then a foot but one peg caught me under the chin and another got me under my ribs on my the right side. I ended up with a bruise under my chin and a bruise on my liver. If I did not have the life line the hit to my chin would of ripped my jaw off and the hit to my stomach would of ripped me open not to mention the 10 foot fell.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 9:50 AM, Nomad said:

Lol .

My only concern , is I tie them off at the bottom so the  knot slides up easy , on a ladder then the rope would be in the way once sitting if it’s tied to lower rung  . I may hold the rope as she climbs , then once up she can swing it over behind her , and climbing down it wouldn’t matter .

If it’s an option you can always screw in a step at the base of the tree and tie off your life line to that so it’s not interfering with the steps on a ladder stand

• Like 1