Not the right time,but better late than never

BowmanMike

I just helped the friend that helped me recover my doe Saturday to set his bow up better..He said he couldn't get the broadheads to group with the fieldpoints. 

I know this should have been taken care of months ago,but he just approached me with it now. So he came to my house and we started broadhead tuning. It worked ok,i adjusted the rest down and left and we were getting closer when he sent one BH over the target. We could not find it in the leaves,even though i saw where it ruffled the leaves when it hit the ground. 

Then we continued with another arrow and all of a sudden things were all over the place and my buddy was getting frustrated. For some reason i thought to check the BH and the spin the arrow and the wobble was really bad. So we switched arrows and BH out and things were perfect!!! 

It is amazing how many different things are involved in tuning a bow. I was looking at his form and saw some odd things there,but i can't have him change that now. So i we both ended up happy that things worked out. We both learned something and hopefully he can get his first archery deer,he has been at it a few years without any luck yet.

• Like 9

When I worked as a archery tech, the most common reason for poor BH/arrow flight was due to improper spine.  Trying to get as much speed as you possibly could has its downfalls.  

Had more than one guy get incredibly pissed off when I recommend a stiffer arrow. They didn't want to loose 10/15 fps.  Lol.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mowin said:

When I worked as a archery tech, the most common reason for poor BH/arrow flight was due to improper spine.  Trying to get as much speed as you possibly could has its downfalls.  

Had more than one guy get incredibly pissed off when I recommend a stiffer arrow. They didn't want to loose 10/15 fps.  Lol.  

I never knew that spine impacts speed, though of course now I think of it it must, as a weak spine acts almost like a spring.

I can surely see how a weak one would hurt broadhead performance. As the arrow comes off it wiggles a lot and if the first few wiggles are severe that broadhead is going to be planing badly. Maybe another reason I'm back to Rage :)

5 minutes ago, Core said:

I never knew that spine impacts speed, though of course now I think of it it must, as a weak spine acts almost like a spring.

I can surely see how a weak one would hurt broadhead performance. As the arrow comes off it wiggles a lot and if the first few wiggles are severe that broadhead is going to be planing badly. Maybe another reason I'm back to Rage :)

Stiffer spine usually means a heavier shaft as long as the length is staying the same. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mowin said:

More speed is useless if your arrow doesn't fly right. I don't understand people chasing speed,at most of our eastern distances you are talking about a very very small difference in arrow travel time.

My buddy shoots only 55#, so no speed demon there. That's why he needs his fixed BH to fly right. He is not as obsessed about perfect arrow flight as i am,but that's ok.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BowmanMike said:

More speed is useless if your arrow doesn't fly right. I don't understand people chasing speed,at most of our eastern distances you are talking about a very very small difference in arrow travel time.

My buddy shoots only 55#, so no speed demon there. That's why he needs his fixed BH to fly right. He is not as obsessed about perfect arrow flight as i am,but that's ok.

Agreed. Many were/are obsessed with the speed, and the arrow flight suffers if you go just a tad too fast for the spine of the shaft. 

It's like the never ending debate on which penetrates better, speed, or weigh of the arrow. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

If you have a form or tuning flaw speed makes it even worse down range

• Like 2

A arrow roller is a huge part of the tuning process  in getting broaheads to fly well. I’ve had friends come over that we’re struggling and some we fixed just by spinning their dozen arrows then installing the heads on the straightest arrows. I spin check all mine and family’s arrows before and after a arrow is used on a animal.