The X Games meets Hunting

moog5050

https://backfireboardsusa.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1pC678XG5QIVkiV_Ch2YgQYKEAEYASAAEgJrc_D_BwE

An all terrain electric skateboard?   I would have to call the EMTs before I set out for my stand.  Saw the ad on the forum and find it hard to believe many would want to offroad with a skateboard.   Heck, I made the mistake of trying to show my daughter how to ride a skateboard in our nice flat driveway this summer.  I quickly learned that it still hurts to fall on your a$$ and I am not 12 yrs old anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

https://backfireboardsusa.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1pC678XG5QIVkiV_Ch2YgQYKEAEYASAAEgJrc_D_BwE

An all terrain electric skateboard?   I would have to call the EMTs before I set out for my stand.  Saw the ad on the forum and find it hard to believe many would want to offroad with a skateboard.   Heck, I made the mistake of trying to show my daughter how to ride a skateboard in our nice flat driveway this summer.  I quickly learned that it still hurts to fall on your a$$ and I am not 12 yrs old anymore.

Yup.....that would be a sure trip to the ER for me!

9 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

With Grampy on the pegs?

As long as I fell on moog, I'd probably be ok.......:rofl:

I have a three day weekend starting Saturday, and another next weekend. With this cooler weather moving in, there should be some great deer movement, along with some rutting activity! 

I took a good tumble last night climbing over the pasture fence in the backyard, retrieving an arrow shot at 60ish, that I misjudged distance on. (long shots at practice make shorter ones hunting a chip shot) Very sore today, but lucky I didn't break something! C'mon Saturday!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I see tons of guys on bowsite use E-Bikes to get in/out of stands that are a far hike in.

the price of those is insane.  Cracks me up with the ads for them - financing available.  If you have to finance a bicycle for hunting you might have a problem. 

backing in my pack and bow on the back of one besides and cant drag a deer out with it for the price of a 4 wheeler 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

the price of those is insane.  Cracks me up with the ads for them - financing available.  If you have to finance a bicycle for hunting you might have a problem. 

backing in my pack and bow on the back of one besides and cant drag a deer out with it for the price of a 4 wheeler 

Many state forests do not allow atv's. I know all the ones by me do not allow them. A bike could be helpful for people who can't walk miles up and down hills.

Well it would make sense to finance ONLY when they do the zero down zero interest then just spread the payments out. But this only works when you are organized and pay it all off before the zero interest grace period ends

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Many state forests do not allow atv's. I know all the ones by me do not allow them. A bike could be helpful for people who can't walk miles up and down hills.

the quiet cat they advertise on the outdoor channel is like $4500.  Maybe there are some cheaper options.  But seems very limited to use for a lot of $ 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robhuntandfish said:

the quiet cat they advertise on the outdoor channel is like $4500.  Maybe there are some cheaper options.  But seems very limited to use for a lot of $ 

I doubt many NYers use them. It's probably more out west in big wilderness areas. Although it would come in handy the few times i hunted big stateland woods in PA. A few spots were 2 miles each way.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Well it would make sense to finance ONLY when they do the zero down zero interest then just spread the payments out. But this only works when you are organized and pay it all off before the zero interest grace period ends

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yup. People underestimate the value of a FREE Loan. For example, simple math:

$30,000 car at 0% for 5 years. You pay it off monthly and take the $30K cash you were going to spend and invest it. If you average 10% per year, your $30K is ~$48K, so you really bought the car for $12K (not $30K).

6 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yup. People underestimate the value of a FREE Loan. For example, simple math:

$30,000 car at 0% for 5 years. You pay it off monthly and take the $30K cash you were going to spend and invest it. If you average 10% per year, your $30K is ~$48K, so you really bought the car for $12K (not $30K).

Think your math is off a bit there Biz.  You don't hold the full 30k for 5 years.  And 10% is one heck of a return today.    But you would be a good car salesman.

• Haha 1

10% is often used as it’s the historical average return  , 30k at 10% for five years is a bit over 48k .

Funny as 30k was about what the Subaru was , I was going to pay cash I know not smart, but then got zero % and invested the 30k , not sure of return as I dumped it in an existing fund , ill have to check. Sure it’s not been 10% though .

20 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Think your math is off a bit there Biz.  You don't hold the full 30k for 5 years.  And 10% is one heck of a return today.    But you would be a good car salesman.

7 minutes ago, Nomad said:

10% is often used as it’s the historical average return  , 30k at 10% for five years is a bit over 48k .

Funny as 30k was about what the Subaru was , I was going to pay cash I know not smart, but then got zero % and invested the 30k , not sure of return as I dumped it in an existing fund , ill have to check. Sure it’s not been 10% though .

I'm saying you literally take that $30K and invest it all, assuming you can make monthly payments without it. But Larry is right overall. 2018 was a bad year, but 2019 is 20%+ for most. My point really was just that people don't take advantage of a free loan. They just are happy hearing 0% but don't invest the money they would have spent.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

2 minutes ago, Nomad said:

You don't hold the 30k as you are paying down the vehicle Larry - its being used to pay down the vehicle.  My Vanguard aggressive fund returned 6.9% over the last 5 years.  If you are averaging 10% a year for the last 5, please give me the scoop.

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

You don't hold the 30k as you are paying down the vehicle Larry - its being used to pay down the vehicle.  My Vanguard aggressive fund returned 6.9% over the last 5 years.  If you are averaging 10% a year for the last 5, please give me the scoop.

VOO, which just simply tracks the S&P is over 10% the past 5 years. VTI and VYM are right there too. Those are my big three ETF's that i continuously feed as I'm not allowed to trade individual company stocks.

Even my 401K is 21% YTD, and around 16% the last 12 months (even with the bad ending of 2018)

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

4 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

VOO, which just simply tracks the S&P is over 10% the past 5 years. VTI and VYM are right there too. Those are my big three ETF's that i continuously feed as I'm not allowed to trade individual company stocks.

Even my 401K is 21% YTD, and around 16% the last 12 months (even with the bad ending of 2018)

Average return from 1957-2018 on the S&P 500 is 7.96%

Just now, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yea, but I just start investing in 2009. So its probably way higher

We have had some good years recently, but you weren't around when things tanked in 2007-2008.  Most of the experts are saying that we are not likely to see 10-15% returns for the near future.  In any event, the only thing I was really pointing out was that the 12k purchase price was not quite accurate but I certainly don't disagree that the free use of money is a good thing if one is careful.  Looking long term, I like to assume a 7-8% market return.  If its higher, I will happily take it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

We have had some good years recently, but you weren't around when things tanked in 2007-2008.  Most of the experts are saying that we are not likely to see 10-15% returns for the near future.  In any event, the only thing I was really pointing out was that the 12k purchase price was not quite accurate but I certainly don't disagree that the free use of money is a good thing if one is careful.  Looking long term, I like to assume a 7-8% market return.  If its higher, I will happily take it.

My first professional job was 2008 and it was a scary time. One day i came into work (Paul Hastings at that time) and by lunch time 75% of the floor had been laid off. I wasn't, probably because I was so young and making no money lol. Things were so bad we kept asking our landlord to lower our nyc rent or we'd move out and he had to keep lowering it. But yea, if someone could guarantee me a 10% return every year right now going forward i would gladly sign up. The "rule of 72" says you double your money every 7.2 (really 7.3 years) when you get 10% return.