Broke down and got a new Silverado

ApexerER

1 hour ago, ApexerER said:

Well.. I bit the bullet on a new truck. Going to be hard getting it covered with mud on Saturday morning.

2019 Silverado RST

I've got the exact same truck in black, but a crew. You'll love it. Only thing I found I dislike so far is that the center cubby under the armrest isn't as big and there is no longer a sunglass holder. Otherwise the thing is awesome. My favorite new feature being the heated steering wheel (first thought it was a gimmick but now i love it) and the push button tailgate release.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Belo said:

I've got the exact same truck in black, but a crew. You'll love it. Only thing I found I dislike so far is that the center cubby under the armrest isn't as big and there is no longer a sunglass holder. Otherwise the thing is awesome. My favorite new feature being the heated steering wheel (first thought it was a gimmick but now i love it) and the push button tailgate release.

Its such a simple thing and I find it actually really annoying that it doesn't have a sunglasses holder. Does your truck have the full center console or the armrest that flips up and becomes a bench? I have the full console and think the storage is plenty big. When I pulled all the crap out of there from my old truck I couldn't believe all the stuff I had in that thing. I really don't like the auto stop start. I think I am going to find myself shutting it off everytime I get in. Never had a heated steering wheel before but my wifes car has it and when I drive that its really nice on cold days. Looking forward to having that. My old truck was an LTZ and I thought it had everything. This one has stuff I will probably never figure out how to use. I thought my old Bose stereo sounded good but this one is way better. I always love the color black but they are so hard to keep clean and looking nice. I like the red.....especially with the painted front end...

I'm coming off a 16 LT, so the RST is nice without stuff I dont need. I do wish I had the stereo upgrade, but that wasn't available on the lot with the z71 that i also wanted. instead i have the safety package which is nice i guess.

i have the flip up armrest. I dont think it's small, just smaller. I took a wegmans bag and put all the stuff i had in there (swiffer duster, spotlight, ratchet straps, deer harness dragger etc) and it doesn't fit in the new one.

you'll get use to the autostart i think. I hated it for a few days and now its just fine. You can buy a thing to bypass it for like $80 but also need to take off like the whole front dash to access it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

I'm coming off a 16 LT, so the RST is nice without stuff I dont need. I do wish I had the stereo upgrade, but that wasn't available on the lot with the z71 that i also wanted. instead i have the safety package which is nice i guess.

i have the flip up armrest. I dont think it's small, just smaller. I took a wegmans bag and put all the stuff i had in there (swiffer duster, spotlight, ratchet straps, deer harness dragger etc) and it doesn't fit in the new one.

you'll get use to the autostart i think. I hated it for a few days and now its just fine. You can buy a thing to bypass it for like $80 but also need to take off like the whole front dash to access it. 

Yea, this has more stuff than I really need but I like all the bells and whistles. I actually went to look at one that didn't have leather but it sold Tuesday afternoon when I was there Tuesday evening of course. Maybe since I don't have the flip up armrest, I have the center console with buckets, my center storage is bigger? I don't know because I didn't look at any with the bench seat. 

1 hour ago, Belo said:

Heated steering wheels are orgasmic!

• Like 2

On 10/31/2019 at 1:45 PM, ApexerER said:

I really don't like the auto stop start. I think I am going to find myself shutting it off everytime I get in. 

By leaps and bounds the most f@*#ing annoying thing introduced in the automotive industry in the past decade. I have a vehicle that does it now and of course as with all others it doesn't remember the setting each time the car is restarted. In my case I have to actually go into a menu to turn it off. Despite the starter turning very quickly it's still not as quick as not starting at all, so I've had a few times I've accelerated in a small window and cursed it. Additionally, when the engine is warm and it decides to turn off at the lights the AC turns down until it's started again.

All to save what $.02 in gas per average car trip?

I have had toyota hybrids and they turn off, but it's integrated from day one in the design of the power train. The electric motor gets you going until the engine turns on and since the AC is not mated to the engine (no drive belts--all electric motor), you don't get any stupid behavior out of the car when the engine stops.

Edited by Core

3 hours ago, Core said:

By leaps and bounds the most f@*#ing annoying thing introduced in the automotive industry in the past decade. I have a vehicle that does it now and of course as with all others it doesn't remember the setting each time the car is restarted. In my case I have to actually go into a menu to turn it off. Despite the starter turning very quickly it's still not as quick as not starting at all, so I've had a few times I've accelerated in a small window and cursed it. Additionally, when the engine is warm and it decides to turn off at the lights the AC turns down until it's started again.

All to save what $.02 in gas per average car trip?

I have had toyota hybrids and they turn off, but it's integrated from day one in the design of the power train. The electric motor gets you going until the engine turns on and since the AC is not mated to the engine (no drive belts--all electric motor), you don't get any stupid behavior out of the car when the engine stops.

The truck doesn't shut off when the AC is on or the defroster is running. Its still annoying. I just have to hit a button to shut it off so it isn't that big a deal. What I wonder is (I am not a mechanic but I am pretty knowledgeable and do most repairs myself) how good is it for that motor to gain and lose oil pressure 15 times per trip. Unless they have changed something to stop it, all the oil runs back to the pan and then on startup gets pushed through the motor. Most engine wear occurs during startup. Creating thousands more startups has to hinder engine life I would think. 

1 hour ago, ApexerER said:

The truck doesn't shut off when the AC is on or the defroster is running. Its still annoying. I just have to hit a button to shut it off so it isn't that big a deal. What I wonder is (I am not a mechanic but I am pretty knowledgeable and do most repairs myself) how good is it for that motor to gain and lose oil pressure 15 times per trip. Unless they have changed something to stop it, all the oil runs back to the pan and then on startup gets pushed through the motor. Most engine wear occurs during startup. Creating thousands more startups has to hinder engine life I would think. 

Apparently for this stuff they beef up the starter, the battery, certain engine components.

I don't believe fuel savings to be meaningful. I've googled it and some tests claim as high as 8%, but that's only in gridlock traffic. Almost none of my driving fits that definition, so for me it's just several times/trip it turns off. I remain unconvinced it's anything but an annoyance, like the new gas can valves that all but ensure you'll spill gas everywhere.

• Like 1