308 win or 6.5 creedmore

sbuff

Under those circumstances, I'd go 308 due to ammo availability and wider selection unless recoil sensitivity is a high concern. 6.5CM is definitely gaining popularity, but I wouldn't go for bear with one. That's not to say it won't kill a bear with proper bullet and shot placement. I just wouldn't do it. 

• Like 1

The 6.5 CR is ballistically equivalent  to the 65. x55  Swede, which is used in Scandinavia to kill 1000s of moose every year...

The long bullets have a high SD and penetrate like crazy...A 6.5 CR with 140 grain  or 160 grain bullets  is very much as capable to take medium and big game ( including deer, elk, moose and black bear) as ANY .308 Win load...

All that said, within 100 yards, flip a coin..Both chamberings are very accurate and there are lots of factory loads available...The Creedmore kicks a little less, but you'll probably never notice the difference under hunting situations..

It is at very long range ( over 300 yards)  that the 6.5 creedmore begins to have a distinct  advantage over the .308, due to the high ballistic co-efficient of  the bullets..

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pygmy said:

The 6.5 CR is ballistically equivalent  to the 65. x55  Swede, which is used in Scandinavia to kill 1000s of moose every year...

The long bullets have a high SD and penetrate like crazy...A 6.5 CR with 140 grain  or 160 grain bullets  is very much as capable to take medium and big game ( including deer, elk, moose and black bear) as ANY .308 Win load...

All that said, within 100 yards, flip a coin..Both chamberings are very accurate and there are lots of factory loads available...The Creedmore kicks a little less, but you'll probably never notice the difference under hunting situations..

It is at very long range ( over 300 yards)  that the 6.5 creedmore begins to have a distinct  advantage over the .308, due to the high ballistic co-efficient of  the bullets..

I don't know if the people on this forum grasp how sensible the above post is; here you have fellow explaining in easy to understand terms the simple truth.  Pay attention to his writings.......

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I don't know if the people on this forum grasp how sensible the above post is; here you have fellow explaining in easy to understand terms the simple truth.  Pay attention to his writings.......

Wealth of knowledge and well said pygmy, always enjoy your posts!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was not saying that  the 6.5 CR  is any BETTER than the .308 Win within 300 yards for deer hunting...It's only advantage is it's lighter recoil, which as I said is probably not significant in hunting situations...

What I will say is, that  the .308 is no BETTER than the  6.5 CR for ANY game within 300 yards,  and the 6.5 has the advantage at longer ranges, which is not an issue in most hunting situations  in NY....

• Like 3

I'd prefer the .308 because it offers more bullet weights and less expensive ammo options, especially for target shooting. 

Unless you anticipate shots farther than 500 yards, a 6.5 Creedmoor offers no real advantage.  Also, a .308 shooting 180 grain bullets will almost equal the 6.5 Creedmoor's SD and long range capabilities.  Besides, if you really want a long range shooting rifle, the 6.5 PRC is already proving to be a far better round than the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Here's a good article comparing the .308 to the Creedmoor.

https://www.huntinggearguy.com/general/6-5-creedmoor-vs-308-winchester/

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 1

If there isn't a dazzle of Racey innuendo's, I usually breeze over his writings....

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

The OP didn’t ask about a long range gun. 

Implied ,

If he is considering the creedmore  more then likely he  wants  to do  some long range shooting and if that's the case 257 weatherby  should be on his short list of what to get . Unless he is on limited budget. 

Edited by Hunter007

With similar needs, I opted for the .308.  Usually I hunt deer with the 150 gr Whitetails, but may have to field 165 gr Nosler's after this 3 shot group.  Pretty sure I pushed the last shot right because I was puzzled, "Where did my second shot go?" :haha: 

20191103_164529.jpg

• Like 4