Rage Xbow mechanical question

mike103

I have harvested two bucks with the Xbow so far.

First was 2016 and second was this year 2019. Same equipment. Ten Point Titan bow, Wicked Ridge older arrows the orange and black ones and Rage 100 grain two blade mechanical broad heads.

The 2016 buck was a young six pointer, shot was 50 yards. Hit was a little high, not much. Deer mule kicked and ran off fast. No blood at the shot site and no blood trail. Found the deer about 100 yards away. Again no blood. Hard to find because of no blood and because I misjudged what direction he ran. Cut the deer open and the blood poured out.

The 2019 deer was a mature 10 pointer, shot was 20 yards. Hit was a little low, not much. Deer mule kicked and ran off fast. No blood at the shot site and no blood trail. Deer ran 50 yards and just stood there not moving. After about 20 minutes it took a few steps and laid down. I waited 45 minutes and left the blind and started walking to the deer. Big mistake deer ran off. I retreated to the blind.

This time I waited 3 hours and waited for reinforcements. Found the deer fifty yards away still alive. Nephew had his bow and was close so he shot it in the lungs. Deer got up and charged down hill. Scary to watch so close. Deer ran thirty yards and went down. Probably not necessary but I shot it again. Bad idea only made a mess of the guts.

Both deer no blood. Broadheads  made a small holes going in but huge holes exiting.

Is this just the way these heads work?? I have no other archery experience. I always thought there would be huge blood trails. Don’t have confidence in these heads.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike.

I dont have that much experience  with them . Last year I shot a doe with my crossbow using rage broadhead. I hit high and dropped  her but the blood was unbelievable.  Hit the artery along the spine and  it sprayed everywhere.  Hardly any blood in the body when I dressed her out .

IDK, aren't there bad reviews &/or experiences with many 2-blade mechanical BHs? Wound slits re-sealing slightly after shot and not producing expected blood trails???

I'm strictly an elevated stand hunter, so my shots have an exit wound lower on the body than the slightly higher entrance. Meaning the blood will run out the lowest point, the exit wound. Hope some other blind hunters will chime in, but I'm assuming a horizontal shot from a blind might not produce any gravity aided blood trails. Obviously no expert, so love to hear from others!!

My 2¢ worth of advice - Try 3-blade mechanical BHs. I've had good luck with my 10-pt Turbo using NAP Spitfire &/or Maxx mechanical BHs.  Mine are also 100gr BHs, but I use a heavier Alum arrow. A little disclaimer - know of others that used Spitfire BHs & were not happy with blood trails!

Shot my buck yesterday from the ground. Crossman 370 Sniper crossbow. Two blade 100gr  older style slick trick. 20 yard shot.20191103_081148.thumb.jpg.f04adbe20a216ba944f14758ad90e5fc.jpg

Entry...20191103_084012.thumb.jpg.4aeaee91a9f73b35f93a2cec2d3b1a7f.jpg

Exit..20191103_083307.thumb.jpg.eac9d5730b1f5ceca290459f75c13199.jpg

Plenty of blood from the hit sight to 50 yards where he dropped. I think if you punch through both lungs, with most any broadhead, you'll have a short, good blood trial most times. I have made other shots of one lung, high, low, forward and back, that did not bleed as much. And went much farther for recovery. I really think shot placement is more important than what broadhead you use. And will be the first to say, I don't always make the perfect shot. Even within my 30-35 yard limit, with bow or crossbow.

Well it’s funny you mention hight because I’m shooting uphill from a blind. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

I have to shoot uphill at this spot because town is below. Not as critical with a bow but more so with the gun.

I’ve been hunting this spot on and off since ‘06 and shot several bucks at this location. I don’t like trees but I’ve thought of an elevated platform many times.

When I say the deer were hit a bit high and a bit low I mean in both cases just a bit.

Especially the one this year. I hit him dang near perfect.

I don’t have the experience with archery gear to figure this out on my own. If these were gun deer they would have been bang flops.

Edited by mike103
More info

Most mechanical BHs have mixed reviews & success rates. Seems to be either a love 'em or hate 'em with none in the middle or mediocre reviews. Obviously it depending on whether you've had a malfunction. I've used NAP mechanical BHs with success, but if I get a FUBAR with a nice buck probably move on to another brand or style and then I'll hate what I'd been using.

I have had good luck with mine, a few years ago they had issue with collars opening premature or not at all. The new ones correct this, perhaps you have an old bad set..I tend to buy new every year as I dont reuse them and a deer or two and a smaller game the 3 have need to be replaced..

I have not seen a bad blood trail with the Rages. I will say that every time it has been 20-50 yards before the blood starts coming out.  I think that has more to do with how fast they cover ground rather than the lack of a good cut. The buck I shot last year with mine went about 30 yards before I saw a spot. At the 50 yard mark this was the blood trail. I am not say that this happened to you but I see more times than not that hunters don't know exactly where the deer was when the shot happened, where it really ran after the shot and where was the last place they actually saw the deer. Any new hunters I am with or take out I tell them all the time I only want to know two things after they shoot. a landmark where it was standing and a landmark where was the last they saw it. 

The young guy I had with me Sunday that Moog posted the pic of wasn't sure where it was at the shot becasue it was in a food plot with no really good landmarks. but after years of beating it in his head he knew exactly the path it took and the last place he saw the deer. That deer made it about 40 yards out of the plot with no hair or blood that we could find. picked us sporadic blood for about 40 yards up a hill and then the blood trail was enormous at the hill top. he died after waling about 4 circles up on the hill.  

IMG_1343.JPG

I've shot 10+ deer and a few yotes over the yrs with rage broadheads.  Most were from a tree stand. 4 were ground blinds.  3 were with a xbow.  I'm truly amazed at the holes these things make and the incredible blood trails.  

Shot this yote the other day at 15 yrds from a 12' stand. The hole is just huge, but she managed to run 125 yrds. A blind man could follow the blood trail. 

IMG_20191110_163618578.jpg