HHA OL-5519 or DS-5519 ?

rachunter

looking to replace my 7 pin spot hogg sight with a single pin. HHA sights keeps coming up with great reviews.Anyone use ether  model or both.If I got this right the OL is a lever with 10yrd increments and the DS is a dial with one yard increments.Any input would be appreciated. 

I'm using a 3 pin 5510 . I liked the the ability to adjust the brightness on the older models better . I like a dark as possible pin for the condition and the new ones always seem to be too bright and the adjustment does not dim them down.  Over all i love the sight .

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I picked up the hha optimizer lite and finally got around to installing it. The problem I’m having is if I follow the directions and lower the slide down it pushes the scope up and I shoot low(into the ground) at 20 yards? If I put it all the way up and bring it down 10 marks it’s dead on at 20? I’ve YouTube this and can’t figure it out. Are you supposed to follow the arrow? I’ve never used a sight like this before. 6a92b70b3d229a483f0b51d369f96b1a.jpg9ac3a4725b1fc9e21e4cfda26c93fce0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, rachunter said:

I picked up the hha optimizer lite and finally got around to installing it. The problem I’m having is if I follow the directions and lower the slide down it pushes the scope up and I shoot low(into the ground) at 20 yards? If I put it all the way up and bring it down 10 marks it’s dead on at 20? I’ve YouTube this and can’t figure it out. Are you supposed to follow the arrow? I’ve never used a sight like this before. 6a92b70b3d229a483f0b51d369f96b1a.jpg9ac3a4725b1fc9e21e4cfda26c93fce0.jpg

Make the site so the slide is at the bottom or the site is all the way up and site in at 20 yds and mark it on the slide. Then slide the slide up (making the site move down) and find thirty yards and mark that on the slide. Same for 40,50 etc however far you want to shoot. Then you find the tape that corresponds to the marked yardages you made on the slide which should make all the other yardages correct. If I was going to site in again I would get rid of the tape and just mark 25 and 35 yds on the slide and not have a tape. I have that site and once I got it set I have never moved it off 25 yds....Hope this helps, I think you will love it when you get it all set....

Your first picture is your site in the lowest yardage (your site is at its highest)

Your second picture is your site set at the highest yardage (your site is at its lowest)

Edited by ApexerER
  • Like 2

Thanks guys I had to put it away getting to frustrated. I’m wondering it my bow is to slow for the site. Last time I checked about 10 years ago it was shooting 280fps. I’m going to email them and see if there’s a minimum speed.

7 minutes ago, rachunter said:

Thanks guys I had to put it away getting to frustrated. I’m wondering it my bow is to slow for the site. Last time I checked about 10 years ago it was shooting 280fps. I’m going to email them and see if there’s a minimum speed.

I don't think so....I think the IBO on my bow is 303 or 305 if I remember correctly. I am sure I am not anywhere near that with a wimpy 26" draw. (yes I am short) I have never chronoed my bow but I wouldn't be surprised if it was less than that.....

• Like 1

I have the optimizer lite.  I don't like how bright the pin gets in sunlight.  (I aim off the top of the pin so when it gets larger it throws my sight off causing a low hit.)  I cut in half the inside of a toilet paper roll as a shade to help minimize pin glare.  They do have a sun shade kit for it along with lenses but I am cheap and the toilet paper fits inside perfect and I get no glare.  I secure it with electrical tape.  Otherwise I love the sight and have it set up with a 65 lbs Elite at 28.5 draw and light arrows at 7.2 gpi about 355 grain total I am able to get from 25 to 110 yards on the dial if you set up the sight at the lowest point.   The rheostat works great in low light conditions but I almost never need it.  This setup tape above the 80 yard line has a red mark above 50 for my 90 yard and a black line for 100 when maxed it is around 110 which I have only used at the Total Archery Challenge which was a long distance shoot and a lot of fun.  Overall I would give this site a 9 out of 10 for a basic hunting/target sight excellent overall for the price range. 

IMG_1959.JPG

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NFA-ADK said:

I have the optimizer lite.  I don't like how bright the pin gets in sunlight.  (I aim off the top of the pin so when it gets larger it throws my sight off causing a low hit.)  I cut in half the inside of a toilet paper roll as a shade to help minimize pin glare.  They do have a sun shade kit for it along with lenses but I am cheap and the toilet paper fits inside perfect and I get no glare.  I secure it with electrical tape.  Otherwise I love the sight and have it set up with a 65 lbs Elite at 28.5 draw and light arrows at 7.2 gpi about 355 grain total I am able to get from 25 to 110 yards on the dial if you set up the sight at the lowest point.   The rheostat works great in low light conditions but I almost never need it.  This setup tape above the 80 yard line has a red mark above 50 for my 90 yard and a black line for 100 when maxed it is around 110 which I have only used at the Total Archery Challenge which was a long distance shoot and a lot of fun.  Overall I would give this site a 9 out of 10 for a basic hunting/target sight excellent overall for the price range. 

IMG_1959.JPG

Mine came with a cover that slides in/out on the scope to make the pin brighter/duller. 

• Like 1

the mechanical rheostat cover was the whole selling point for me. I have the DS-XL5510. It's got the larger 2" vs 1-5/8" sight housing to view more of what i'm shooting at. Also has 0.010" pin that's more than bright enough. Turn down the brightness just enough to prevent any halo effect and you've got pin point precision. biggest archery trophy i've got was won with it. 

• Like 1