The Official Haven't Killed a Buck Thread

Five Seasons

This past weekend was awesome for the forum. Not only did many active members punch their buck tags, but many were dandies.

So that leaves us peasants grinding it out into mid-November. I feel like we all need a place to hang out.

Rules for this Thread:

1. Vent your brains out. Not seeing deer? Missed a shot? Can't get in the woods? Just let it all out. You'll feel better.

2. Those that have punched your tag may enter, but be respectful of our sour attitudes. We're a little testy.

3. As always, no hunter bashing.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Belo said:

This past weekend was awesome for the forum. Not only did many active members punch their buck tags, but many were dandies.

So that leaves us peasants grinding it out into mid-November. I feel like we all need a place to hang out.

Rules for this Thread:

1. Vent your brains out. Not seeing deer? Missed a shot? Can't get in the woods? Just let it all out. You'll feel better.

2. Those that have punched your tag may enter, but be respectful of our sour attitudes. We're a little testy.

3. As always, no hunter bashing.

Have you considered switching to a crossbow?

download.jpeg.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Well its 100% my fault that my Antler Bow tag isn't filled. I was in the right spot and the buck did all the right things offering me a perfect broadside shot @ 26 yds. I completely wiffed. Would have easily been my largest Bow buck too. Oh well....

Happy for everyone that has filled a tag!

6 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Have you considered switching to a crossbow?

download.jpeg.jpg

yes, but unfortunately it wouldn't have changed anything for me. just a big 4 and a spike within any sort of weapon range this year. Not even a doe in range except for way back on 10/3 and it wasn't a great shot.

Well, at least for now, I'm a member of this group too. I've  seen 9 smaller bucks so far out there and passed up shots at 6 of them between 8 and 30yds including a medium sized 8Pt at 11yds. So far I haven't seen one of the big boys yet but we all know how that goes...it only takes being in the right spot at the right time to change your whole season in a matter of minutes. Interestingly I checked cam cards a few days ago and on video, I have the 8pt I passed on sparring with a small 6pt while a 4pt is rubbing a tree in the background...pretty cool video! Stick to it guys and girls, your worst season ever can turn into your best season ever all in a matter of minutes but you gotta be in the game for that chance.

• Like 3

All the hunters who have yet to shoot a buck, have perhaps the best weekend of the season coming up! The "Magic Day" of November 10th along with the 5 days before and after. They will be the days when bucks are just blindly following a doe. Standing oblivious in the open. Crossing roads without looking. Following a doe scent trail with nose to the ground, not bothering to even look around. The normally nocternal ghost of the woods, will be up on his feet and MOVING, during broad daylight, at this time in November!!  The younger bucks will be running themselves crazy, trying to find love, without getting beat up by a bigger buck.

Get out and get em !!  This is as good as it gets now!!  Sending good luck!  As that is all the majority of you guys need to close the deal! You have what it takes. 

• Like 5

I’ve been out 6 times and out of those  I’ve seen deer twice both 45 + yards out. Second time was a shooter and he wouldn’t come in to my grunt call . It’s all good still have time left to tag one with the bow. This is our second year on this lease and still learning the land. We have 67 acres for 3 of us and I don’t want to over hunt it early season and burn it out , so we really don’t ramp up our hunting till now . We have deer but definitely not over run with them. A bow killed buck is the bees knees , but if we have to use the rifle to get it done then so be it . 
On the plus side my cameras have a ton of buck photos as of late. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

I  have had   sights on 6 different bucks in 3 days.  From 5 yds  to 35. Button bucks to a nice 8 pt  . Shot at 8 pt  hit a branch ... clean miss. Have yet to see a mature doe . A few yearling does . Not upset yet ... just loving being back in the woods . 

Back when I could shoot bow , archery was kind of my trophy season .   Nice bucks or big mature does . Kind of staying with it with the crossbow . Wish I had more time to hunt  before gun season . That's when it's about meat .

One thing I do notice  is  I haven't had time to acclimate  to the cooler weather and wind like I use to .  More layers than I use to for this time of year. 

Look at it this way enjoy the time you have regardless  of killing and deer sightings.  Your not at work and you are enjoying the sport .

Good thread Belo. I've seen a few bucks but haven't actually given them any passes as none of them were really shot opportunities. Kind of a funny year for me as I've been taking it slow. Shot that fawn just behind the house the other day just to shake the rust off, then sat for the afternoon hunt but skipped Sunday entirely for cutting up that deer in the morning and opting for the Bills game in the afternoon. Haven't sat in any of my best stands yet, just doing the stand-selection version of foreplay. Heck, I've drawn on but passed a few bigger does and then opted to take the fawn. Like I said, weird year, but OK enough.

We've (the neighbors hunting around me) seen just pre-rut activity so far. Seeking but little chasing except the young bucks so far. Looking forward to this weekend and then have off from 11/16-24 and again for the 28th to 12/1.

Seems like peak activity starts in the next 5-10 days for my little local ecosystem. Should be a great second week of xbow and first week of rifle. Family comes to hunt the place for the rifle opener and I've got a doe tag squirreled away for my grandson's annual black Friday visit. It wouldn't break my heart to have a buck tag left for that. I'd even shoot a small one just to send him home with an antler memento. 

• Like 1

Missed a decent buck. Figured I put the arrow into the shoulder. Couldn't find the arrow and only 2 small drops of blood. Called deer search they agreed and believed the buck survived. Currently on a 7 day sit with zero deer seen. Getting very frustrated as normally I've seen deer by now. I haven't even had a doe in range. I've changed different stands with no luck. I'm lost. Thinking maybe the rut hasn't started yet. I've seen some rubs and scrapes. The scrapes are open 1 day but then nothing for a couple days. Maybe the deer have no reason to move yet with food around and the higher temps? So hopefully now with colder temps on the way they might move

I have been out back only a few times this year..its unfortunate because I just have to walk out my back door and I'm where I need to be or at least I think I am. I have seen a six and a four out there in my few sits. 

I do know that there are a few big guys out back the big tracks prove it but getting to them is the difficult task as my property is dense brush.

6 minutes ago, Team Hoyt said:

Missed a decent buck. Figured I put the arrow into the shoulder. Couldn't find the arrow and only 2 small drops of blood. Called deer search they agreed and believed the buck survived. Currently on a 7 day sit with zero deer seen. Getting very frustrated as normally I've seen deer by now. I haven't even had a doe in range. I've changed different stands with no luck. I'm lost. Thinking maybe the rut hasn't started yet. I've seen some rubs and scrapes. The scrapes are open 1 day but then nothing for a couple days. Maybe the deer have no reason to move yet with food around and the higher temps? So hopefully now with colder temps on the way they might move

On our lease and I’ve talked to others the trees are loaded with acorns this year. I think the deer could eat acorns till their heart is content right in their beds . Be patient ( I know it’s easy to say ) but the best time to be in the woods is coming . 

3 minutes ago, rob-c said:

On our lease and I’ve talked to others the trees are loaded with acorns this year. I think the deer could eat acorns till their heart is content right in their beds . Be patient ( I know it’s easy to say ) but the best time to be in the woods is coming . 

I hunted two rut funnel set up's on two different properties last Saturday, and saw zero deer. I thought about where to go Sunday morning, and decided to hunt where the doe were feeding, on an oak ridge. Saw three bucks in the first hour, and killed one of them. They were all just cruising the area hoping to find a doe that would be receptive of their advances. None were. But the bucks are there waiting! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Belo said:

ouch. what happened?

Uncle leased the property out on base camp, because they can't afford the taxes and are grasping for money.  Not the guys who leased it's fault, but they have exclusive hunting rights there now.  Haven't met them yet, we shall see.  Supposedly they're only hunting opening weekend for gun, and muzzleloader.

Granted I still have in excess of 230 acres of mine, and the neighbors 90 to hunt, but that land is one of my favorite places in the world to be.  In terms of just deer hunting I probably should be hunting elsewhere, but it's been more less my own private play ground for 25+ years now, so I'm pretty pissed.