The Official Haven't Killed a Buck Thread

Five Seasons

17 minutes ago, rob-c said:

On our lease and I’ve talked to others the trees are loaded with acorns this year. I think the deer could eat acorns till their heart is content right in their beds . Be patient ( I know it’s easy to say ) but the best time to be in the woods is coming . 

Yeah our lease only has acorns so I'm hoping that's what's up

• Like 1

All I saw was 4 or 5 different spikes all year. Saw doe but never in range to shoot. Finally on Sunday which was my last day to bow hunt I got a shot on a small buck that I thought was a 6 pointer, ended up being a 5. I didn't want to post a picture of it because everybody was posting monsters and it made me feel bad that I even shot it . Put meat in the freezer though and he'll be tasty. Hopefully I see a big one during gun season.

On to the venting. My uncle shot what he said he was a nice buck with a crossbow and we couldn't recover it. I saw him fall myself as he ran in my direction after being shot, about 200 yards. He got up after 10 mins and left . There was a lot of blood but it tapered off as he walked away and dissapeared. We followed for I would guess half a mile, lost blood after about 100 yards from where he fell and couldn't find it. Went back with 2 more people and still nothing. I have a feeling it's not a dead deer since the blood became less and less but who knows. The arrow was 10 yards passed where he fell. Makes me sick to lose a deer, just hoping it's alive.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I went 7 straight sits without seeing a deer. I’m tempted to count up the hours spent in a tree but that will only make me more depressed. I have only seen 3 bucks total. A spike a 4 point and a scrawny 7 pointer all on my first day in the woods at the beginning of October.

I started to question my sanity when I was waking up at 4am Sunday morning to go hunt again. Once again I saw nothing in the morning then hunted over a field in the evening hoping I’d see something even if it was hundreds of yards away that’s how desperate I was getting.

I ended up seeing 3 doe 2 of them mature at 130 yards and that was enough to get me excited again. Now unfortunately I only have Sunday as my last day to bow hunt before the regular season starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Nytracker said:

Back when I could shoot bow , archery was kind of my trophy season .   Nice bucks or big mature does . Kind of staying with it with the crossbow . Wish I had more time to hunt  before gun season . That's when it's about meat .

i'm usually the same. but our property has changed for the worse and i would tag a nice mature doe now, where in the past I wouldn't. 

1 hour ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Uncle leased the property out on base camp, because they can't afford the taxes and are grasping for money.  Not the guys who leased it's fault, but they have exclusive hunting rights there now.  Haven't met them yet, we shall see.  Supposedly they're only hunting opening weekend for gun, and muzzleloader.

Granted I still have in excess of 230 acres of mine, and the neighbors 90 to hunt, but that land is one of my favorite places in the world to be.  In terms of just deer hunting I probably should be hunting elsewhere, but it's been more less my own private play ground for 25+ years now, so I'm pretty pissed.

any lost land sucks. i know the feeling. Assuming you and other family weren't in a position to beat the offer?

I sat in one stand twice and watched a buck 400 yds away work a scrape and then walk under my other stand.  The next night I sat in that stand and watched a buck walk down the edge of the field past the first stand.

Sat in #3 at the other farm for several hours seeing a bunch of squirrels, gave up at dark, walked out and stepped into the field and had 16 deer blast off in all different directions.

Saw a spike and a tall narrow 8 from stand #2 the night before Halloween but couldn't coax the 8 in close enough.  Walking down to the house and see what appears to be 3 does and a buck in the back yard 30' from the kids swingset.  Mere moments later I get a call from the wife "Hey dummy, you're up in the woods and there are three does and a buck 30' from the kids swingset".

Night before last back in stand #1 and watched a buck walking down the side of the road in front of my house. :banghead:

The best morning I had was when I said heck with it, threw my bow stuff back in the car, switched to the shotgun, threw out my meager spread of a dozen flats and a dozen socks, shot two geese and went home.

But on the lighter side of the news, starting 15:15 on Thursday I am on vacation until the day before Thanksgiving!

Edited by covert

1 hour ago, YFKI1983 said:

All I saw was 4 or 5 different spikes all year. Saw doe but never in range to shoot. Finally on Sunday which was my last day to bow hunt I got a shot on a small buck that I thought was a 6 pointer, ended up being a 5. I didn't want to post a picture of it because everybody was posting monsters and it made me feel bad that I even shot it emoji1.png

There is no deer that is "better" than another deer. Every one of them is a gift to be proud of, and admired.

Shoot what what you like. Like what you shoot.

Post a pic of that buck! I for one would love to see it! And congratulations!

• Like 7

Yep I still have all my tags.... I was fortunate to see 2 shooters on Saturday an hour apart from eachother. One came in right after I rattled at first light but to about 80-90 yds, the other was chasing a doe grunting, at 38 yds but he wouldn't stop for a shot. Took off Thurs and Fri so I plan on hunting hard Thurs-Sun.. Looks like cold + snow!! Good luck all.

What I am feeling really good about is my rifle being dead on after pulling it out of the case and shooting it for the first time this year... Ready to gun hunt

There is no deer that is "better" than another deer. Every one of them is a gift to be proud of, and admired.
Shoot what what you like. Like what you shoot.
Post a pic of that buck! I for one would love to see it! And congratulations!
Thank you!
cb8698faadc313c1ad5d2f2ed556b763.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, YFKI1983 said:

Thank you!
cb8698faadc313c1ad5d2f2ed556b763.jpg

Ummm, nice buck, but take your dead deer and go to the dead deer thread with the other deer killers you danged deer killer.  This thread is for the non-deer killers.  Stupid deer killers and their stupid dead deer anyway. :P  ;)  :butcher:

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Belo said:

any lost land sucks. i know the feeling. Assuming you and other family weren't in a position to beat the offer?

No offer was given.  Nobody said a word to me about it until the deal was done.

Granted, I wasn't about to hand over 7 grand anyways.  Down the road I might be in a position to buy the land outright, when they've run themselves completely out of money.

Edited by UpStateRedNeck
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Biz Pro Tip: 

Hunt dark to dark (if you can) like my Dad. My Dad has seen different bucks the last 3 days and the times were 12pm, 10:12am, and 11:45am.

Yeah, this.

I need to man up this Friday and put in some loooooong sits.  Been doing 4.5 hours, not getting the job done.

• Like 1

Ill hopefully be dark to dark this weekend.  My standards will drop on what i will take by sunday being at the end of the season.  Ide be happier with a spike then a tag in my pocket.  My best weekend is always around my grandmas bday which is the 7th.  Ive taken 3 deer on it and actually my first 2 bow kills were on her bday.  She kicked me out of the house during her partys telling me i wont kill them sitting with her.

• Like 2

groups of guys from where i live are out in Ohio right now. they're stacking bucks like cord wood. 24" spread, 170+",  over 10 points, etc. you name your big buck poison and they shot it. making it real hard to stay here in Northeastern NY each year to hunt. lol 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Meat First said:

No buck yet? What a bunch of losers.  No just kidding no buck yet here either>  And for those of us aging hunters who are slowly transitioning form bow to gun hunters the season hasn't started yet!  Plenty of hunting left:drinks:

FYI - after I shook your hand at the Goat in June, i didnt wash that hand for 4-5 months and it paid off when I shot a buck!

• Like 1

I have seen deer on at least half of my sits - none within range except for one nice buck that was too late to the party.  I did want to shoot a doe early in season when she wouldn't likely be trailed by a buck, but I think I will put that off until shotgun or muzzle loader season now.   No rant because that is how it goes - absolutely looking forward to the next 10 or 12 days - I have never hunted this time period and I hope it is half as epic as I have been told!   

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

groups of guys from where i live are out in Ohio right now. they're stacking bucks like cord wood. 24" spread, 170+",  over 10 points, etc. you name your big buck poison and they shot it. making it real hard to stay here in Northeastern NY each year to hunt. lol 

Yup. Every year I get tempted to hunt midwest for whitetails. Then I can post reports like Moog about passing bucks everyday.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1