The Official Haven't Killed a Buck Thread

Five Seasons

Yep,loosing your mom is a tough one. Happened to me a few years ago,it makes you think about a lot of things. I hope you will remember her well.

I’m sorry to hear that! My mental game was indeed lacking. A few all day sits, I forgot I was hunting, just thought about losing my mom to Parkinson’s. So much of hunting is mental & unfortunately prevented me from capitalizing on the few opportunities I had. In any event, my last sit is the first weekend of December. We’ll see. If I score great, if not just another opportunity to clear my mind and remember the good! I appreciate your thoughts. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/24/2019 at 6:19 PM, Fredbear2 said:

To many crops on and warm ! They have plenty of food and do not have to move till dark . I let few basket racks go during bow crossbow and now nothing. Still plenty of time left.

this is exactly what's happened near 1 of my spots in 8f. standing corn, but the fields where corn usually is is fallow this year. booo

You are not alone.  I have not seen any antlers since gun season began, and I have not seen a single deer since about 8:30 on opening day morning.  I think I blew any chance I may have had at a buck over at my folks place, by killing what might have been the only mature doe left in the area, by mistake.   I was after the button buck she was trailing.  She threw me a curve ball that morning, when she traded position in line with him, after my first sighting of the three-deer antlerless group.   Prior to that, throughout crossbow season, I had seen antlered deer on every sit over there, including one big one that was certainly "a shooter".         

Nope way upstate when I  was up there few days back  I saw one at least  but couldn't make out how many points and it walked  off in the distance   so I didn't take a shot .

Near home have not seen a thing not even  the white tale of a deer running off in the distance yet .

Had good time anyways. 

8 minutes ago, Belo said:

man 4 sits in a row without a deer siting, even flat heads. the depression is setting in. Been maybe the worst season in my 20+ years that I can remember. Some of it my fault, but def not for lack of time in woods. 

Same here... I have passed on 4 small bucks now.. The lack of a kill is all on me. I have enjoyed my time in the woods. The number of deer sightings vs time in the woods is really poor.. needless to say my standards have went way down. I have never gone without venison, we will see what the next few weekends bring..

4 minutes ago, ncountry said:

Same here... I have passed on 4 small bucks now.. The lack of a kill is all on me. I have enjoyed my time in the woods. The number of deer sightings vs time in the woods is really poor.. needless to say my standards have went way down. I have never gone without venison, we will see what the next few weekends bring..

same man. never once had an empty freezer as an adult. I'm almost brown it's down and I know many subscribe to the "dont shoot on the last day, what you wouldn't on the first". I spit on that haha. Granted I'd much rather squeeze one off on a fat breeder doe than a yearling buck.

but that empty freezer is just haunting

• Like 2

Me too. I don't score every season but really hoped to by now this year. One sighting on opening day, nothing again until yesterday 11/25. About eight half-days in reg season in field so far.

I'd love a doe or buck, just some venison in any event. I hunt almost only public land but deer go into hiding early there. I did manage to flush deer three separate times yesterday but all were in impenetrable brush and I was alone. I couldn't see 5ft ahead of me much less take a safe shot when they jumped. Exciting at least!

I've been telling myself I'd even take a fawn but when I saw a roadkilled one the other day I changed my mind... Tiny.

My problem is I’m a single father and can’t get out more than a day or two each year. It is what it is, but i feel like I need an option with much better chances. Any thoughts? I know there are these hunting ranches and reservation hunts, but they are expensive.

My problem is I’m a single father and can’t get out more than a day or two each year. It is what it is, but i feel like I need an option with much better chances. Any thoughts? I know there are these hunting ranches and reservation hunts, but they are expensive.

You don’t need to do a high fence hunt to have success. You can go fair chase and see deer and have good shot opportunities

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Todd67 said:

Lady luck has to be on your side if you are only out a day or two during gun season. Best chance is opening day when the deer get pushed around by other hunters.

Still here, although will be trying to bail out of the group this weekend...hunting tomorrow morning before work and then planning for all day sits Saturday and Sunday. Good luck guys, the season can all change in a matter of minutes, just gotta be in the right place at the right time.

My 15 year old grandson has never killed a buck. Going out with him this morning to hopefully change his status?? Going to the same spot that luckily got me off this list? Hope it works. Have seen deer there most every time I sat in that blind this year. We'll give it a go.

Wishing every hunter on this thread the very best of luck! It only takes a couple seconds to turn your season around!

Get out and send it!

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, grampy said:

My 15 year old grandson has never killed a buck. Going out with him this morning to hopefully change his status?? Going to the same spot that luckily got me off this list? Hope it works. Have seen deer there most every time I sat in that blind this year. We'll give it a go.

Wishing every hunter on this thread the very best of luck! It only takes a couple seconds to turn your season around!

Get out and send it!

Put that old deer slayer in his mitts...good luck!

Still a member of this group. Had lotsa fun during bow, got a doe. In a ground blind w my son when he got his first bow deer- nice fat doe. That makes the season.
Had 1 good opp during bow and caught a branch. 7 point i grunted in. Pin was on branch but thought arrow flight would miss it- i was wrong.
Still an ok year. Good luck all.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk