Advice hit a good buck

BBDEric

Ok hit a good buck with x bow at 4:30. He was slight quartering to me. I'm shooting 1 3/4 expandable.  Pass threw. I could see my hit sight when he stopped and stood. Right behind shoulder. Maybe 2-3 inches. Good height slightly below center.  I expected it to go threw him. Arrow has dark blood and light blood absolutely drenched.  But also has guts. I think one lung liver guts. I grabbed arrow and walked the other way to road. Never looked for blood or where I last saw him. He stood for a second wobbly and the out of sight. Didn't slow walk or hump up just lunged forward. Calling for rain over night. Do I go back in 5 hr ssd's or wait till am. I just dont want to bump him. Knowing I got liver for sure based on arrow. Help me threw this!!!!

I would go back in 4 hours and carefully look at what there is for blood.  If the blood looks promising, I would track him up.  If your entrance looked good, I would expect he has been dead for 3+ hours already.  

It could be really helpful to have a second person to look ahead for the deer while you track blood. Good luck!

I'd go back now, just track like you're expecting the deer to still be alive, as it may be. I liver hit my buck a few days ago and have it 6 hrs and he was still alive when we found him, couldn't move but alive.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Good advice. I never understand when people track without a loaded weapon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Wait 5-6. It's def worth a look at blood, hair etc. Gut is a definite wait overnight if not longer. If you got gut, you'd be lucky to have hit lungs, maybe 1. A 1 lung gut shot can stay alive for 24 hours, but can also die in its first bed if not bumped. A smashed liver with a little gut is a dead deer, but a graised liver and gut is also going to survive for a bit. The key with these types of shots is letting the deer lay, and it will die in its bed. If you go back and feel confident in blood, track away, but if you bump him, back out and give him a day. Depending on your area, and the rain, you may want to contact a dog to track. Good luck !

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

My experience has been to give liver - gut shots a minimum 4 to 6 hours. You will find it in it's first bed. If bumped too early, those holes plug up and not much blood reaches the ground. Making tracking much more difficult.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

Sounds like a good shot.  The deer is going to die that we know.  I definitely wouldn't go in there now.  If in fact the shot caught liver, that deer could live 8 hours.  Where you describe the hit, the deer was dead within a minute.  I'd wait, that buck will be within 100 yards, you won't need blood as ling as he wasn't pushed.  Good luck!

Is it illegal to shoot an animal after legal shooting time?

I would think it’s illegal. I meant moreso when people leave and come back or track the next day. I’d be worried about being empty handed

• Like 1

If it’s hit where you described the buck as dead before 5, you’ve already given it 4 hours normally I would say wait until morning but with rain coming I would head out now and see what the blood trail tells you. If you have good lung blood and a lot of it keep going if not back out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

Is it illegal to shoot an animal after legal shooting time?

yes, but morally do what you gotta do, don't post it on here though or anywhere. id give him 4 hours. call a dog if available. my doe i didn't jump liver, back of 1 lung went about 350 yards in pa last month. 

• Like 1