Still Hunting Thrills and Failures

pitweiler

Typically all I do is still hunt. I have a hard time sitting still. I only hunt public land right now and finding a spot to set up a stand / blind is nigh impossible because I’m afraid it won’t be there the next time I come back and typically the area is too thick. 

I’ve been able to get out three times so far ( I don’t bow hunt) for a total of about 22 hours. Still hunted most of it. So far I’ve encountered three deer (does, although i never got a good look at one of them, that I don’t have a DMP for). I stalked them for practice and never could catch up to them. I snuck up on all of them from behind. I played the wind and followed the fresh sign. It’s such a thrill to stalk like that but man it’s hard when you can’t get a shot. Either legally, safely/ethically or they spook. 

Anyone feel the same way?

• Haha 1

I'm like you. sitting on a tree stand kills me! i cant stand it. no pun intended. lol. Still hunting is more fun for me during the rifle season coz i get to harvest the meat. This bow season while still hunting i manage to be close to 50-60 yards from a buck and a large doe but couldnt take the shot. Im only accurate upto 30 yards max. But the thrill of watching the deer for 5-10 mins hoping itll pass infront you with in your range is agonizingly exciting.  Tomorrow ill be back with a crossbow and take that 60 yards shot if i see the buck again....

• Like 1

I love still hunting,but it isn't easy. Luck helps a lot,and the thrill is unmatched. I have not spooked deer yet this year still hunting,at least that i know of. Haven't seen many either. Oh,there was a nice doe early in the season but one branch was in the way,i had drawn back and was waiting for her to move when the wind swirled,that was that.

3 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Have you tried Adk?  I no in my area theres some very large tracks of public.  Some a couple thousand acres.  

Where in ADK are you spot / stalking? I spent a lot of time up there as a kid and don’ t remember areas like that. ADK is about two to four hours away from me so it’s just far enough to be difficult to get to. It’s also hard to justify taking a trip up there with no DMP when I can get a DMP down in 7 with ease. 

1 hour ago, BowmanMike said:

I love still hunting,but it isn't easy. Luck helps a lot,and the thrill is unmatched. I have not spooked deer yet this year still hunting,at least that i know of. Haven't seen many either. Oh,there was a nice doe early in the season but one branch was in the way,i had drawn back and was waiting for her to move when the wind swirled,that was that.

For me what really helps is hunting the same property since 2002ish , I have a really good idea where to focus my attention depending on the time of day . Then it's just a matter of getting down wind of that location and sneak in.

1 hour ago, pitweiler said:

Where in ADK are you spot / stalking? I spent a lot of time up there as a kid and don’ t remember areas like that. ADK is about two to four hours away from me so it’s just far enough to be difficult to get to. It’s also hard to justify taking a trip up there with no DMP when I can get a DMP down in 7 with ease. 

Just asking if youve still hunted up there.  Im down in 7m/7p and theres woods here you could get away with it.  I still hunt with my gun quite a bit and so doesnt my other buddy.  

7 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

For me what really helps is hunting the same property since 2002ish , I have a really good idea where to focus my attention depending on the time of day . Then it's just a matter of getting down wind of that location and sneak in.

I am hunting the same property for 6 or seven years now,but i can not for the life of me figure out where the deer are at what time of day. Most of it is mixed fairly mature hardwoods,some open some denser. I can't even identify bedding areas,because the deer seem to bed wherever they feel like it. It makes me feel kinda stupid that i dont feel any more confident now than when i started hunting it. There is a hay field that attracts deer early season,now they are only coming there at night. Theres one swamp that is pretty open and another pond and its drainage,but the wind always swirls in that. A couple of good ridges,both east west and north south. The property is 300 acres,and i got some more to hunt,but identifying bedding areas is a mystery to me.

9 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Just asking if youve still hunted up there.  Im down in 7m/7p and theres woods here you could get away with it.  I still hunt with my gun quite a bit and so doesnt my other buddy.  

I haven’t hunted ADK yet. I want to but that’s planning, camping, days off work and $$. Really stinks that DMPs are not issued up there. I hunt 6K, 6N, 7F, 7J and I might try 7R this year. I have DMPs for 7F and 7R. I need to get on the ball next year and hit the shop Aug 1 so I can apply for 6K and start getting preference points. 

48 minutes ago, pitweiler said:

I haven’t hunted ADK yet. I want to but that’s planning, camping, days off work and $$. Really stinks that DMPs are not issued up there. I hunt 6K, 6N, 7F, 7J and I might try 7R this year. I have DMPs for 7F and 7R. I need to get on the ball next year and hit the shop Aug 1 so I can apply for 6K and start getting preference points. 

Ide love to hunt the ADK but i have a hard enough time getting away for a full day let alone a couple.  Some day ill do it.

Edited by Swamp_bucks