Who eats squirrel

Taylormike

I love it. I have smoked it, grilled it, and my favorite is stew. There are a ton of easy recipes out there. 

For grilling, low and slow is the key for me. I marinate it in a white sauce (Chiavetta's) for a day ahead of time.

Edited by Skillet
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Taylormike said:

I guess you do, lol.  I'm going to try them.  Anything to worry about?  Worms, parasite, etc?

Early season they can have bot fly or warble larva under the skin. Looks like a big lump. Gross, but it doesn't affect the meat. I'll pass tho. Late season is better.

• Like 1

I love eating Squirrels, they are one of the tastiest game animals in my opinion. The only downside is they can be a little on the tough side especially when fried. They can be par boiled but par boiling leaches the flavor out of them. I make mostly stews and soups, there are plenty of soups and stew recipes that use meat so just use one that you personally like and use Squirrel meat. 

The good old crock pot method will make the meat tender and fall off the bone and recently I have been using a pressure cooker that works as well as the crock pot but gets things done in a fraction of the time.

Al

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, airedale said:

I love eating Squirrels, they are one of the tastiest game animals in my opinion. The only downside is they can be a little on the tough side especially when fried. They can be par boiled but par boiling leaches the flavor out of them. I make mostly stews and soups, there are plenty of soups and stew recipes that use meat so just use one that you personally like and use Squirrel meat. 

The good old crock pot method will make the meat tender and fall off the bone and recently I have been using a pressure cooker that works as well as the crock pot but gets things done in a fraction of the time.

Al

What Al says here.  I've only had it a few times but I think it is one of the best dishes going.  I've had min crock potted in a stew.  Great flavor and Im sure you would like it.

• Like 1

I might try squirrel hunting after deer season.  Is it good meat?  How to prepare and grill it?

One of my favorite game animals. We quarter, fry them and add onion, some cherry or peeled tomato and hot peppers and let that cook in some wine. Salt + pepper. So delicious.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've made squirrel sausage before.   2 parts tree rat to pork.   It was so dam good.

The work to get 5 lbs of squirrel meat was time consuming to say the least. 

Fried squirrel in butter and garlic is hard to beat also.

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Uncle Nicky said:

I always thought they had a "nutty" kind of taste. A buddy in Texas says their squirrels taste like pecans, so seems like they take on the taste of their food source?

Yea they have a nutty after taste chicken in nut sauce would probably be the best way to describe it .

The ones around here at least . There not bad at all I cooked them just  like chicken cacciatore . 

Edited by Hunter007
  • Like 2