Saranac lake wilderness area help

Nnyhunter

Hello,

I am new to tracking deer, but looking forward to trying (I have a lot of experience backcountry camping and fishing). My plans to canoe in to the st Regis canoe area to hunt were changed due to the impending weather, but I want to camp and hunt near there. I am thinking of the floodwood toad area primarily. Anyone have any experience here or tips? Would Keese mills road area be better to try for my first time? Not looking for honey holes or to ruin anyone’s area, just looking to get started tracking. Any help or tips are appreciated.

Sorry, I don't have much knowledge of this specific area. I would suggest studying some maps and make a scouting adventure.

Snow helps even the odds in the Adirondacks and allows stalking and a great chance to find some travel areas. Hunt the edge of swamps in the early morning and dust. When the rut is full on bucks wander in search of does in heat; otherwise, I've had success catching them sneaking between swamp cover and open hardwoods. My trail cam pictures show they become nocturnal as pressure mounts.  

Food sources in the deep woods can vary greatly from season to season and dictate deer travel. This fall near me the beech trees are full of nuts and they are a good food source. Also, winter kill can affect the herd from year to year. Last winter was cold and we had snow early and late for the winter season...

Best of luck and hope I helped a little...