who bleats or does something to stop a walking deer?

BowmanMike

Always because I prefer standing shots vs walking ones!! But the bleat can NOT be too loud or you will definitely startle them. Can also make a smacking noise with your mouth, unusual sound they'll stop, look & wonder about. Disclaimer - this is a double edged sword, getting them to stop or putting them on alert can have different results when the arrow is released.

Clearly when a buck has his nose to the ground looking for love or chasing a hot doe, very difficult to get them to stop. I also bleat after I've shot a buck and he's bounding off. Usually have to do a quick progression of bleats, each louder until he hears it. More than 50% of the time they will stop for 3-5 sec  before dropping or walking off. Lot of recovery distance saved, if they'll stop!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always try to stop an animal before a shot with bow/Xbow/shotgun/rifle unless they are already perfectly still. A bark to try to stop a yote or fox or a “mehp” to stop a deer. In fact, when I shoot a buck if it doesn’t drop right there I hit the grunt call in hopes it slows them down and they fall in sight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Unless the deer is broadside and just standing there I have given the classic "Meeeh" preferably volume 4 when they are moving with hopes of them stopping for a quick clean shot. Tried yesterday at a small spiker trotting past me cause I wanted to put the crossbow scope on him....but the dufuss ended up stopping behind a pine tree...lol

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

for gun hunting but not for bowhunting. seems to me like they make more of an effort to run to the next mountain over when i did and they saw their demise coming. if i really think i need to it might only be when a buck locked onto a doe and likely won't break stride.

If its moving I always stop them with a maaah, or "clicking" sound, if they hear it, they will stop.  Once I actually yelled "HEY!" at buck who wouldn't stop for me – and he didn't stop for that either, just kept on trucking, nose to the ground.