Snow camo

left field

I’m looking at some warm coveralls to throw over my existing gear and a snow pattern is an option. If I look outside my window right now it would match perfectly and my property being on a north facing ridge tends to hold snow early and long. Any thoughts on the viability of snow camo? That is to say, does it just seem like a clever idea and you’re fine with any breakup pattern? 

Edited by left field

3 hours ago, left field said:

Thanks. I have to admit it does look good. Im looking at the midway option - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939226895?pid=821333

I’ve ordered sweatshirts and a prairie creek soft shell jacket for bowhunting. Wore the coat this season and that coat is awesome and really happy with the sweatshirts very heavy weight. 

I hunt in snow with white coveralls.  I find I can blend in better in open areas if the suit isn't camo.  I also think it blends in better in any snow condition, because when you look at it from a distance, it's invisible, whereas if it has a camo pattern that has too much camo in it, it is noticeable. 

I have also found I can stalk very close to deer in the open wearing an all white coverall.  They look right at me and then go back to browsing, so it must blend in well in their eyes too.

BTW, the suit I wear was purchased from an emergency services uniform company and was meant to be used by ambulance personnel.  I think it was $35 about 20 years ago.  It's rugged service wear apparel, so it lasts.  It is not insulated, so I wear it over another insulated coverall.  But since I can take it off easily, it's much easier to wash to get back to it's total white condition.  I wear a white hoodie underneath, white gloves and a white watch cap to complete the suit.

On 11/9/2019 at 3:23 PM, turkeyfeathers said:

I looked but no overalls available from this company but I own this and the insulated pants and love both.  Never get cold, quite and like  the pattern

https://naturalgear.com/insulated-snow-park/

that stuff is junk.

hunters creek from midway is great stuff at a good price. Get the gloves too, they're great. I own bibs, parka and gloves.

15 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

So why would it be junk if I've had it for years ? never get cold in it, it's quiet, it's lightweight, great pattern ?

my opinion after owning it and hunters creek. They say waterproof but mine leaked right through. And yeah it's light, so I didn't feel it was super warm either. Maybe junk was too strong a word. 

to each his own, just my opinion. 

Not to derail the topic too much, but when do you guys switch to snow camo, just when there is a lot of snow on the ground regardless of whether or not there are leaves on the trees? Or do you wait till the trees are bare? That's what I usually do, as I hunt from a treestand. I guess if you are hunting from the ground, once you have a good cover of snow, snow camo is good to go?

Not to derail the topic too much, but when do you guys switch to snow camo, just when there is a lot of snow on the ground regardless of whether or not there are leaves on the trees? Or do you wait till the trees are bare? That's what I usually do, as I hunt from a treestand. I guess if you are hunting from the ground, once you have a good cover of snow, snow camo is good to go?

I wear Vertigo, which has a lot of white in it, almost all season regardless of snow. Trees are 90% air
  • Thanks 1

Any decent covering for me. I find that in the stand the white is also helpful with the skyline, similar to vertigo mentioned above. When there’s snow on the ground I feel like a big turd in brown camo sticking out in a tree lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

I wish they still made Vertigo camo. Haven't seen it in years. It's kind of off white-ish in color.  When i see it go up on eBay used it sells very high. 

Gamehide makes a cover-up pattern snow camo that I wear because i like to sit on ridges too. Shot a couple deer that way and they had no idea i was there...

Just now, JRod 8G8H said:

I wish they still made Vertigo camo. Haven't seen it in years. It's kind of off white-ish in color.  When i see it go up on eBay used it sells very high. 

Gamehide makes a cover-up pattern snow camo that I wear because i like to sit on ridges too. Shot a couple deer that way and they had no idea i was there...

Youre not kidding, I think its the best pattern that ever was. Predator a close second and no one makes that anymore either