Advice on new hunting neighbor

Al Bundy

I found two stands where I hunt today. Saw the guy multiple times. The one stand is likely just on my property facing into the edge of my land. Second stand is likely just off my land, and facing into my land. Any shot fired from the second stand will immediately pass into my land. It’s literally right there. I would like to say something to the guy but not sure the best way to deal with this. I’m also thinking forget it as his stand is not illegal.  Advice?

My advice is to catch him hunting your property before you ruin the relationship . The guy behind us accused me of hunting over the line because i mounted a ladder stand on the side of the tree facing the line ,i explained to him it would do me no good to shoot on his property when the deer were traveling on our property and i use the tree for coverage as they come in.  

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

It’s literally right there. I would like to say something to the guy but not sure the best way to deal with this. I’m also thinking forget it as his stand is not illegal.  Advice?

I had/have the same issue here. When I called the DEC they said if the stand is on his property he/she  can face it any way they want. Even though the intent is obvious they can't do anything unless a deer is shot on the land that he does not own. He sat in the stand once and since I put a no trespassing sign directly across from his stand he has not been back. They have 8 stands up on the bordering properties that face to the opposite side of what they own. Some people just do not care.

• Like 1

all that activity on the other side of the fence may actually help you mr. bundy. the deer may just alter their travel routes, and if you study the situation you might find the deer more on your side of the fence. saturation deer condo blinds...... get a local pilot to fly you over and do some ariel recon. take photos. could be serendipity

Just now, LongWayFromHome said:

all that activity on the other side of the fence may actually help you mr. bundy. the deer may just alter their travel routes, and if you study the situation you might find the deer more on your side of the fence. saturation deer condo blinds...... get a local pilot to fly you over and do some ariel recon. take photos. could be serendipity

Amat Victoria Curam

I forgot about all of the latin i learned in high school. Had it for almost 9 years,that was worth it,haha.

Does your county not have a tax map available online? That usually helps with getting property lines very close to the real thing,otherwise the same source should have compass readings for every property line.

I agree with trying a nice approach first,you can always change your approach as needed.

I had/have the same issue here. When I called the DEC they said if the stand is on his property he/she  can face it any way they want. Even though the intent is obvious they can't do anything unless a deer is shot on the land that he does not own. He sat in the stand once and since I put a no trespassing sign directly across from his stand he has not been back. They have 8 stands up on the bordering properties that face to the opposite side of what they own. Some people just do not care.

If he never hunts those stands is it possible that he is putting them up as a more subtle posted sign to you? As in, “make sure you stay off cause I hunt here”

To the OP - if it’s on his property nothing you can do but you can speak to him about it. Buddy had a guy build a massive logging road and fence on their border and then a stand pops up in the edge. He asked the land owner what was up and it turns out he granted permission to a new guy and the land owner agreed it was not cool to put right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't want to plaster the property line with posted signs, how about pink surveyors tape? That's a subtle hint of where the property line is, incase he really isn't sure. I think I would put a couple very visible treestands too, facing your property, to let him know that someone hunts over there.

Is your property surveyed ? when I bought mine one side wasn't done and the guy next to me kept telling me the dirt road was his,but I found old survey tape about 50yrds. past it.Finally got it surveyed.When I posted it he took all his stand on both sides of the line down.I told him he could still walk his dogs down by my pond during the off season.He sold it to a group of four wheeler riders who have respected it so far.I'd just go talk to him feel it out and go from the he might think you on his property.

Edited by rachunter
added
  • Like 1

A  friendly  conversation  on do and don'ts  and  a well placed posted sign.  

Remember  these words from the mouth of a econ and trooper  reciprocating  permission for  deer recovery  is giving permission to hunt on your property. If its abused  you have to tell them to stay off .

When I had the talk with my neighbors  they thought they were going to  continue  the 2 man drives acrossed my property  under the guise they were tracking a wounded deer.

I told them I required  a phone call.. and I would bring my dog up and track for them . Other than that they were not allowed on there.  No walking the dog ... berry picking ... not even turning around in my clearing .

For that I forgave them tapping my maple trees  on the border... allowed  them the use of the  4 wheeler  path , they cut on me, around the big dead oak . But by no means are they to hunt. 

After posting the wife came out screaming that I was off on the line .The  neighbor  and I walked the poster line with my gsp.  I showed him the marker posts . He was amazed where the line really was . She was angry to see a posted sign 50 feet from her kitchen window.   I reminded him that I didn't build the house that close to the property line . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Use a OnX Hunt app to precisely know where the lines are. My cousin bought a house with 40 acres the previous owner had died. Well his buddies came to hunt it like they always had and the neighbor even had stands on the lines facing the main travel routes of our deer. We posted the lines heavy using OnX and played nice when we saw the neighbor cause you may have to track into his side remember

I have a friend who found a guy hunting out of a tree on his property. He went to the tree and the guy hollered at him to leave as he would be there all day. He left. Went home and grabbed his chainsaw and atv. Went directly back and cut the tree down with the trespasser in it. He told me that the guy jumped and ran, never came back for his stand and never saw him again. Problem solved. Not that I would suggest that you follow suit. 

Spoke to the guy today. Real nice guy or really well at being a fake. Take your pick.  We discussed he was right on the line and he said I know not to shoot Onto the other side. nice conversation  but I seriously doubt he would pass a deer that wandered by him on my land. 

• Like 1

Well so far so good,  but your post beings up a common issue, that is so many don’t really know where their own property lines are . Many just post the outer edge of a woods, when over the years the woods “ expanded “ , which is why you often find old downed wire fences a few yards inside the woods , because at one time that was the outer edge too .

The hunting apps are pretty good , but not that precise. Here’s my spot look at the top orange line , it appears to run through the woods, but how far ? Which tree could the neighbor hang a stand on and still be on his property?

C1E8B6FC-7B64-4E61-9F74-940F55CB45A1.jpeg

if this is what hunting  NY has turned into do we really want to return after almost 50 years ? i wonder... how many of you remember the community deer drives, the massive outpouring of solidarity amoung neighbors, the "huntmaster", the rules and the battle plan for each hunt. no one cared abouty property lines, no one turned a blind eye to help, and it is now just one big distant memory. anyone out there remember and care to discuss this.  the good old days... 

• Like 1

Loved those days ! I’ve hunted that spot over 30 years , sat till 9, met up with others and drove ,drove ,drove till evening sit . If you bumped into another group, you often teamed up . I’ve had strangers help drag my deer out, and then toss it in their pick up and drive us to my car . I hunted miles and several roads over from “ my spot .” 

If someone hit one everyone teamed up,to get it , and the guy who hit it first got the deer, no matter who killed it .

Those days are largely gone . Today it’s mostly about big bucks and keeping them on “ your land . “ 1 or 2 Guys lease a spot where maybe 6 or 8 locals used to hunt , then the farmer down the road hears he can get money for letting guys hunt and so it goes . Everyone is down to one spot, that they’re protective of .

That said I’ve let others hunt the land we own , as I don’t hunt it , I hunt another’s land that I somewhat have control over . The  young guy who works on the farm nextdoor , sets up,on the line with my blessing , he can come over to recover anytime , and frankly if he hung a stand a bit over the line I wouldn’t care . A guy I used to work,with and see once or twice a year , just told me he lost 2 out of 3 of his spots , I opened mine up, to him .

Edit . my buddy Joe born up North still uses that gun and load ! Although he lost a nice buck with it last year .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, LongWayFromHome said:

Remington model 8..,  .35 Rem,  200 grain bowling balls, stepping on deer and "wingshooting" them!!  someone must remember. 

I remember those days.  We had to use slug-guns back then (still do in my home zone).  The best thing about them is that they are over.   It is tough to beat having neighbors who respect the lines and work peacefully with you.   It had been a virtual free-for-all over at my folks place for about 30 years, until a new neighbor moved in and laid down the law.   That has turned it into a virtual deer-hunting paradise for me.   That guy does most of the legwork of posting signs and "throwing the book" at tresspassers, while I kick back and enjoy the "meats and antlers of his labor".      

what in bloody sam hill am i going to do with my Remington model 8 ?   

My Remington model 8 hangs on a rack collecting dust. Recoil operated just like an A-5, the genetics are obvious. The A-5 hangs on the same rack, collecting the same dust. Is it still legal to drive deer in NY or did the facists from Bagdad I mean Albany outlaw deer drives? 

Edited by LongWayFromHome

4 hours ago, LongWayFromHome said:

what in bloody sam hill am i going to do with my Remington model 8 ?   

My Remington model 8 hangs on a rack collecting dust. Recoil operated just like an A-5, the genetics are obvious. The A-5 hangs on the same rack, collecting the same dust. Is it still legal to drive deer in NY or did the facists from Bagdad I mean Albany outlaw deer drives? 

Still legal as long as it doesn't involve trespassing. Permission to recover from the neighbors should be obtained BEFORE it is needed.

• Like 1